Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th February 2019, 20:47   #1
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Default 75 CDT airbag light on!

Hi all, hoping this is a common problem and an 'easy fix' ... just had a day in Thetford Norfolk visiting my dad, lovely sunny day, no problems on the way up but on the way home ... airbag light came on. Had to stop at some lights so took the opportunity to turn engine off and restart to 'hopefully' reset the airbag light, did about a mile before it came on again and so stayed on all the way home. Not had a single problem in the 3 months I've owned the car up till now.
Any ideas as to what to check or look for?
Thanks in advance.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2019, 20:58   #2
Raspberrycai
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Merc 190E 1.8, '91 Yamaha SR125

I've heard loose wires under the seats can cause the airbag light to come on. Fiddle about with them , give them a little wiggle or take the wires out, spray them with some contact cleaner and put them back in. Apparently that usually does the trick.

1991 Mercedes 190E 1.8 (Nico) / 1991 Yamaha SR125 (David)
This vehicle (Nigel) was born Wednesday, 15th September 2004 @ 08:14:39 and was the 103,810th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381 - This vehicle was the 3,096th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744 - This vehicle was the 303rd 75 in Platinum Gold (code: MCN) to be made out of 1,685 Platinum Gold 75s
Raspberrycai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2019, 21:14   #3
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberrycai View Post
I've heard loose wires under the seats can cause the airbag light to come on. Fiddle about with them , give them a little wiggle or take the wires out, spray them with some contact cleaner and put them back in. Apparently that usually does the trick.
Thanks for the info, thought I had read that somewhere before but wasn't 100% sure where.
Is there a particular side that is most vulnerable or can it be either side?
Are the plugs easy enough to get to or is there lots of contortion involved?
Old 17th February 2019, 21:26   #4
Raspberrycai
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Merc 190E 1.8, '91 Yamaha SR125

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget1960 View Post
Thanks for the info, thought I had read that somewhere before but wasn't 100% sure where.
Is there a particular side that is most vulnerable or can it be either side?
Are the plugs easy enough to get to or is there lots of contortion involved?

I'm not entirely sure as I haven't had any problems with airbag lights myself - I'm sure someone will be around soon to offer more advice or correct me but i'm fairly sure the wires are fairly easy to get to - they're just under the seat and i'm fairly sure they just pull apart.

I've just looked at the bottom of a ZT seat I have in my room, and the airbag connector is bright yellow at the part it connects, and is held on to part of the chair with a black cable tie - being bright yellow it shouldn't be too hard to find. Hopefully it shouldn't need too much fiddling about to get to it.

1991 Mercedes 190E 1.8 (Nico) / 1991 Yamaha SR125 (David)
This vehicle (Nigel) was born Wednesday, 15th September 2004 @ 08:14:39 and was the 103,810th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381 - This vehicle was the 3,096th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744 - This vehicle was the 303rd 75 in Platinum Gold (code: MCN) to be made out of 1,685 Platinum Gold 75s
Raspberrycai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2019, 21:30   #5
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Depending on the year, you will have either blue and yellow, or yellow and yellow connectors, a bit tight to get under the seats but not terrible.

Unplug the connectors and reconnect a few times, this should clear the light.
Old 17th February 2019, 21:44   #6
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Depending on the year, you will have either blue and yellow, or yellow and yellow connectors, a bit tight to get under the seats but not terrible.

Unplug the connectors and reconnect a few times, this should clear the light.
Cheers Trikey, Mine is an 04 75 CDT club SE.
I'll have a good poke around in the morning 'n' see whats what.
Thanks again mate.
Old 17th February 2019, 21:45   #7
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberrycai View Post
I'm not entirely sure as I haven't had any problems with airbag lights myself - I'm sure someone will be around soon to offer more advice or correct me but i'm fairly sure the wires are fairly easy to get to - they're just under the seat and i'm fairly sure they just pull apart.

I've just looked at the bottom of a ZT seat I have in my room, and the airbag connector is bright yellow at the part it connects, and is held on to part of the chair with a black cable tie - being bright yellow it shouldn't be too hard to find. Hopefully it shouldn't need too much fiddling about to get to it.
Excellent, many thanks for the info, takes all the guess work out of it.
Much appreciated.
Old 18th February 2019, 12:48   #8
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Just pulled the connectors apart and checked they are all undamaged and properly plugged in etc.
Couldn't see any problems with them tbh so took them apart and plugged back in a few times, started the car .... no airbag light so far but it only came on after a mile or so anyway so will have to take it for a spin and monitor it.
Also found a black connector under the seat too (not plugged into anything) just cable tied to the other electrical wires, would I be correct in assuming this was for the operation of electric seats etc:?
Old 18th February 2019, 12:54   #9
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Yeah, the big black plug is for electric seats. You need to be aware that it isn't only the airbag wiring/connectors that can bring the light up, a problem with the underseat connectors for the seat belt pre tensioners can also trigger it. Need to check airbag and pre tensioner connectors under both front seats. Unplug, spray with a contact cleaner then plug/unplug several times, should clear the problem. Try that before delving deeper!

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2019, 13:08   #10
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Yeah, the big black plug is for electric seats. You need to be aware that it isn't only the airbag wiring/connectors that can bring the light up, a problem with the underseat connectors for the seat belt pre tensioners can also trigger it. Need to check airbag and pre tensioner connectors under both front seats. Unplug, spray with a contact cleaner then plug/unplug several times, should clear the problem. Try that before delving deeper!
Thanks for the heads up, yes I did take both the yellow connectors apart and re-plugged them in several times (didn't have any contact cleaner though) will get some anyway at some point.
All the plugs appear to be in excellent condition with no signs of distress or corrosion anywhere so ....fingers crossed eh!
I did notice though that the connectors are really close to the under seat rear heat ducting, perhaps this is a factor in connection failure with the constant cycling of cold air / warm air over the contacts in the connectors ??