Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th January 2019, 08:42   #1
yargnitram
Regular poster

Rover 75

Default gearbox issue

car is 1999 2.5 v6 auto,last week the gearbox started acting up would not change from first to second before it hit about 5000rpm then when in with a bang second to third was less harsh but still not good,reverse is perfect,i changed 4 out of the six solenoids gearbox is a little better but still refuses to change from 1-2 before it hits 5000 rpm but the loud bang has mainly gone when it has done the first changed from start up it does get better but sometimes locks the front wheels when coming to a halt,i am going to change the last of the solenoids and hope this cures the issue any ideas would be welcome
yargnitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2019, 09:25   #2
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Hi, I had a similar issue with a Volvo 740 a while back, turned out the box had some crud floating around in it and was partially blocking one of the oilways, (looked like part of an old gasket but couldn't be sure) on investigation I also found the filter was well past it's best so changed it and put new oil in and hey presto .... better but not gone!? also turned out the V6 has a very slight mis-fire under acceleration so the box wasn't getting the torque it needed to change up when needed, traced that to a suspect plug lead so changed that and ... problem solved.
Up until all this work was done, it used to have the same violent second gear change up so hopefully your problem might be as easy to sort out.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote