Notices

Old 8th January 2013, 15:44   #11
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandy View Post
hi Jeff,nice of you to drop in great i do love this club, sunday week halfway house well yes will stick it on calender when i get up out of my chair, right so dad is manager of crondon park golf club might come in handy Jeff as i can still play but need a buggy , i know buggys are off this time of year but perhaps in the summer will go for a game ,i am not entirely knackered just run out of puff quicker than i used to. yep looking forward to this summer get my photography going again , halfway house will be entirely weather permitting be great in the summer though take some great pics at southend, thank you for posting to me Jeff . ----GARY.
Hi Gary,
No problems, glad your enjoying it on here Sir.
If you look further into this part of the forum you'll see that I post up Motorsport photos mainly.
Spend a lot of time going to the Btcc, F1, Dtm etc and try to post up on here some of my stuff.
Link to one of my threads: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=127386
Yep, bit wet for buggys on the fairways at the moment
Don't worry about the weather a the Halfway as we can all pile into the Pub or the Little Chef if need be
Old 8th January 2013, 16:33   #12
grandy
Passed Away

rover 75 2ltr auto PETROL

just amazing Jeff, great photography there is a bunch of you that are realy realy good at this lark , Phil is good but what a selection of subject matter he has got nice. every one i have seen so far are great,clever bunch on here, ---GARY.
grandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 16:50   #13
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandy View Post
just amazing Jeff, great photography there is a bunch of you that are realy realy good at this lark , Phil is good but what a selection of subject matter he has got nice. every one i have seen so far are great,clever bunch on here, ---GARY.
Don't know about clever, just enjoying ourselves me thinks
We should get a proper camera club going on here sometime and go out on some jolly boy outings
Old 8th January 2013, 16:53   #14
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Thanks Gary for the info about the remote compartment at the side of the cam. When the SX40 was launched it hardly had any accessories. I see on Amazon it now has an array of them including add on filters. a wide angle lens and a magnification one. I can't order any being in Africa as Kenya is not the best place to send camera equipment to. I will revisit Amazon and see if they do a remote for the SX40. One of the guys here took some wonderful bird photos from the comfort of his home as he had set up the tripod, the camera and the remote in his garden. A handy trick I find appealing. I am sorry that Mrs Grandy is in hospital and won't stop smoking - what a worry as there is a great deal of help available. All you can do is your best. I am going away tomorrow from the forum for a week up country way up north by road and into the mountains and bush on safari living out in rough and camping. It is summer here. Hot by day and cold by night. The tropical rains are still around with sudden downpours then humidity which makes everything nice and green - I hope to be able to take a range of photos of what I get to see. Thanks to you and the guys for talking about photography, bridge cameras the pros and the cons.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 17:00   #15
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Thanks Gary for the info about the remote compartment at the side of the cam. When the SX40 was launched it hardly had any accessories. I see on Amazon it now has an array of them including add on filters. a wide angle lens and a magnification one. I can't order any being in Africa as Kenya is not the best place to send camera equipment to. I will revisit Amazon and see if they do a remote for the SX40. One of the guys here took some wonderful bird photos from the comfort of his home as he had set up the tripod, the camera and the remote in his garden. A handy trick I find appealing. I am sorry that Mrs Grandy is in hospital and won't stop smoking - what a worry as there is a great deal of help available. All you can do is your best. I am going away tomorrow from the forum for a week up country way up north by road and into the mountains and bush on safari living out in rough and camping. It is summer here. Hot by day and cold by night. The tropical rains are still around with sudden downpours then humidity which makes everything nice and green - I hope to be able to take a range of photos of what I get to see. Thanks to you and the guys for talking about photography, bridge cameras the pros and the cons.
Hi Phil,
That sounds like a lot of fun, really looking forward to seeing your photos on your return Sir
When are you back over in Blighty as it would be great to meet up with you, maybe at one of the Halfway House get togethers
Old 8th January 2013, 17:17   #16
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanks Jeff. I am back in London on 9 March. I have my scan on the 13th, the national meet is on the 17th and I would love to meet up at H H ... I am trying to swing it to be here for the POL in April but as the missus won't be coming back with me she has given me a right old bashing about it lol. Anyways I will be back in the UK at the end of July for 3 - 4 months. I want to get up north and visit the moors as I have never been and Rod has promised to show me the sights. I am still to get to an F1 circuit as that is also something else I have never been to
Old 8th January 2013, 18:26   #17
grandy
Passed Away

rover 75 2ltr auto PETROL

went shopping today ended up in jessops,can't resist it only one guy running the shop and he is so helpful, nice young man he is a friend of my grandsons did not buy another camera but as i am a bit shaky at my age bought a monopod great little thing will be a great help ,i am not that shaky that i can't hit a golf ball Jeff,----------- role on summer,be nice Phil if you could manage to get to H.H when you are next in uk,going to bed now it's gone 7 so i am off, lol bye for now guys,oh just to correct you Phil [GRANDY] is a nick name my grandsons gave me years ago and it sort of stuck,the wife is not in hospital at the moment but soon will be i expect,mrs stephens just sead hello and don't get eaten by a lion and stay well clear of the crocks.--all the best for now GARY.
grandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 06:42   #18
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Hi Gary and thanks for putting me straight about Mrs Stephens being out of hospital and I will be sure to follow her advice about the crocs and lions those crocs are very crafty as they tend to blend in with the river banks ever so still and it is easy to walk into them. So far we have been lucky with the lions not coming too close to our tent at night. We see them watching sometimes, if I shine a torch into the bush their eyes light up like cats eyes, so we stay close to where we camp. We park our 4x4 close to the tent with the doors unlocked and we keep the tent zipped up. We heard of a camper who left his tent open at night and a lion got wind of him taking him out and killing him. I usually keep a machete in the tent and a crossbow, a catapult. We are just about to set off. Jeff invited me to join him on a car racing meet last summer and I never made it. Years ago I used to smoke and drink, led a wild life and I remember smoking a cigar called Grandee which kind of reminded me of your name where as your family have fondly given you that for other reasons take care and bye for now  ,
Old 9th January 2013, 07:51   #19
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

I really can't see how Jessops is still operational on a High Street level. Their prices have always been considerably higher than elsewhere. When the chain was rescued from administration a few years ago I noticed how the quality of the staff dropped, having chosen to make redundant or relocate photography enthusiasts to employ any Tom, Richard or Harry willing to work for minimum wage.
My last two dealings with our local store were not good, the poor lad on the receiving end was way out of his depth in a camera shop and couldn't answer the most simple of questions about some film I was after.
This tarnishes the good name, as previously I could rely on the staff for sound advice and good tips.

Back on the subject of bridge cameras, my friend was burgled. When the insurance paid out he's now the owner of a Nikon P510 and his Canon 350D was replaced with a new 600D.
He now wants to come around to mine so I can show him how to work it. I've had this before when I gave him advice on a quality budget telephoto, where I tried to explain the pros and cons but I feel it fell on deaf ears as we're back to square one.
I recommended the Canon 70-300mm IS, probably the best of the budget Canon tele lenses. He didn't think it was good because it was an EF lens and not an EF-S lens which he'd been told (Jessops) meant it used ED glass and was better quality....

How long did it take people to understand how cameras work? Or rather, how long did it take to understand aperture? I sold this guy my old 350D several years ago now and with the questions he's asking I don't think he's learnt anything.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 09:56   #20
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
I really can't see how Jessops is still operational on a High Street level. Their prices have always been considerably higher than elsewhere. When the chain was rescued from administration a few years ago I noticed how the quality of the staff dropped, having chosen to make redundant or relocate photography enthusiasts to employ any Tom, Richard or Harry willing to work for minimum wage.
My last two dealings with our local store were not good, the poor lad on the receiving end was way out of his depth in a camera shop and couldn't answer the most simple of questions about some film I was after.
This tarnishes the good name, as previously I could rely on the staff for sound advice and good tips.

Back on the subject of bridge cameras, my friend was burgled. When the insurance paid out he's now the owner of a Nikon P510 and his Canon 350D was replaced with a new 600D.
He now wants to come around to mine so I can show him how to work it. I've had this before when I gave him advice on a quality budget telephoto, where I tried to explain the pros and cons but I feel it fell on deaf ears as we're back to square one.
I recommended the Canon 70-300mm IS, probably the best of the budget Canon tele lenses. He didn't think it was good because it was an EF lens and not an EF-S lens which he'd been told (Jessops) meant it used ED glass and was better quality....

How long did it take people to understand how cameras work? Or rather, how long did it take to understand aperture? I sold this guy my old 350D several years ago now and with the questions he's asking I don't think he's learnt anything.
Hi Alan,
How I know that feeling of trying to explain things for it to fall on deaf ears!
It's like
Funny how people start up hobbies, ask loads of questions/advice and then promptly ignore everything you tell them.
I get it all day at work, people these days come in asking advice but really they're just spoiling for an argument half the time
I gave up on Jessops many moons ago, now I use either Lce ( London camera exchange ) or Camera World in Chelmsford, they only have one other branch in London so only relevant to peeps in this neck of the woods.