Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Photography Corner
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th October 2008, 22:15   #1
tourerfogey
Banned

Default Digital cameras and batteries . . .

I have a fairly old and pretty basic Olympus Digital Camera (I'm a Fogey and still use my 'traditional' Olympus OM SLR kit - served me well when I worked for the magazines and I'm reluctant to ditch it). Anyway, back to the digital box of tricks - it takes 2 x AA batteries which seem to last all of 5 minutes or 10 - 11 pics!

So, I have some questions.

A) Is this usual for AA equipped digital cameras?

B) What are the best batteries to use?

C) If I dive into the shoebox under the bed and buy a new digital camera is there a preferred type of battery power to plump for as one of the considerations when choosing what to buy?

Ta
tourerfogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 22:23   #2
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Hi Power AA Batteries
but easy to use high capacity (3200+) rechargeable.
Li Ion Batteries are best.
No memory problems on recharge.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 22:29   #3
David3807
Posted a thing or two

2002 R75 Conn SE 2.5l Auto Tourer, 2001 R75 Conn SE 2.5 Auto Saloon

A: No . Only Olympus.

B: Re chargeable AA

C: I still go for rechargeable AA's since if you do happen to run out of spare batteries at the wrong moment non rechargeable AA's are easily available. Never liked the idea of built in rechargeable units cos all will fail eventually and cost to replace is high in my experience.

My first digital was an Olympus and that performed much as yours.

Changed to Canon Powershots (which run on 2 Rechargeable AAs) and no further problems - batteries last a proper time.

Powershots (A500 series and A700 series) are a little bigger and heavier than todays credit card size cameras but at least I can use the controls. And they seem to handle most lighting situations on Auto with ease. Suits me fine

Alternatively for occasional use change your mobile phone to one with a camera. Ihave a Sony Ericcson with a 5MP camera included. No proper zoom (only digital) but it produces pretty respectable pics and failing battery never a problem presuming you keep your phone charged.

Read somewhere that I think Samsung have produced a phonewith an 8mp camera included so they get better andbetter.

Last edited by David3807; 5th October 2008 at 22:41..
David3807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 22:37   #4
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Sony also have a 8MP Camera Phone
and Nokia just announced a 10MP one.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 22:37   #5
tourerfogey
Banned

Thanks guys - I have a camera phone but I've never really tried using that - must give it a go . . .
tourerfogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 23:02   #6
mantianak
I really should get out more.......

ZT 190+ Saloon

Good to see another Olympus nut here. The reason I went Olympus digital was so I can use my old 35mm OM Olympus lenses. Can't really help with your questions though :S
mantianak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 01:01   #7
JamesP
Loves to post

Rover 75 ConnSE CDTi 131 Starlight Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourerfogey View Post

C) If I dive into the shoebox under the bed and buy a new digital camera is there a preferred type of battery power to plump for as one of the considerations when choosing what to buy?Ta
If you do raid the shoebox.......as JDC mentioned Li-ion batteries are best, they will take roughly 250 pics between charges (1000 mAh), you can purchase a generic spare for under £10 from a European seller on ebay..... some even sell high capacity models (3,000mAh) enabling upto 750 pics between charges for around £15), all have a life span of around 1,000 charges.

I would recommend comparing pictures from various makes & models at your local camera shop as some cameras with a lower pixel count will take far superior pictures than the higher rated models due to the quality of lens & internal hardware used.
JamesP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 04:40   #8
stevemac
This is my second home

Jaguar X Type 2.2D Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourerfogey View Post
- it takes 2 x AA batteries which seem to last all of 5 minutes or 10 - 11 pics!
The reason that AA batteries don't last very long is the use of the LCD screen. If you have a normal viewfinder switch off the screen and refrain from the usual showing of photos taken to other people until the photos are on the PC.

Steve

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
Winnie-the-Pooh

stevemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 09:43   #9
geoff11
Loves to post

ZT 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesP View Post
If you do raid the shoebox.......as JDC mentioned Li-ion batteries are best, they will take roughly 250 pics between charges (1000 mAh), you can purchase a generic spare for under £10 from a European seller on ebay..... some even sell high capacity models (3,000mAh) enabling upto 750 pics between charges for around £15), all have a life span of around 1,000 charges.

I would recommend comparing pictures from various makes & models at your local camera shop as some cameras with a lower pixel count will take far superior pictures than the higher rated models due to the quality of lens & internal hardware used.
Sorry to but in here just read the above and it applies in my case, a couple of months ago had a minolta 5mp camera which was really good, but it went wrong and after 3 years of use decided to get another, I went for an olympus one with 8mp thinking it would be better but the quality of the pictures is not as good as the old camera, not as sharp or defined with dark areas being common.
I took out an instant replacement warranty if it goes wrong, I then went to currys who recon theres nothing wrong with it and wont replace it, so what do I do ?? any suggestions on how to make it stop working bearing in mind its not covered for accidents . I have been looking on the web and there fitted with a poor lens, Ive asked a couple of camers shops and there of the same opinion.
geoff11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 16:46   #10
JamesP
Loves to post

Rover 75 ConnSE CDTi 131 Starlight Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff11 View Post
Sorry to but in here just read the above and it applies in my case, a couple of months ago had a minolta 5mp camera which was really good, but it went wrong and after 3 years of use decided to get another, I went for an olympus one with 8mp thinking it would be better but the quality of the pictures is not as good as the old camera, not as sharp or defined with dark areas being common.
I took out an instant replacement warranty if it goes wrong, I then went to currys who recon theres nothing wrong with it and wont replace it, so what do I do ?? any suggestions on how to make it stop working bearing in mind its not covered for accidents . I have been looking on the web and there fitted with a poor lens, Ive asked a couple of camers shops and there of the same opinion.
If Curry’s have proven your camera to be fine by taking pictures with an identical camera of the same scene at the same time as you & then comparing them on the same monitor, I believe your only option is to sell it on eBay, as the camera would be deemed fit for purpose.

I am certain it is not worth the risk of trying to break it as you will only be able to sell it for spares, they may even charge you for a part not covered by the Warranty terms.

Sorry I can’t help.
JamesP is offline   Reply With Quote