Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th July 2023, 10:12   #11
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

I did look at those on offer, but although they were listed as free, they want money after your free download or trial period. I also looked at different ratings scores and AVG free was up there. The new version is very much different to the old versions and im very pleased with it up to now but its early days. No slow down and browser changes attempted and if you do come across a dodgy website whilst browsing it just aborts the site. I must say to me up till now , its better than norton, quicker, and does the job , and norton was the one slowing things down. As for bit defender, the romanian one , money was always wanted after your free period. I did not want to keep downloading a repeat version and start over again after the free period expired , so with AVG i can just carry on. I dont keep sensitive stuff on the laptop so what security i have through VPN and windows defender plus AVG should be enough. I was happy to leave windows defender up front on its own, but after a crash and having to rewrite files the other week im not impressed, so added AVG. Granted its not top of the pops for all aspects of security and lacks some aspects , but its free and works fine for me. ... up till now ..
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2023, 10:23   #12
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
I did look at those on offer, but although they were listed as free, they want money after your free download or trial period. I also looked at different ratings scores and AVG free was up there. The new version is very much different to the old versions and im very pleased with it up to now but its early days. No slow down and browser changes attempted and if you do come across a dodgy website whilst browsing it just aborts the site. I must say to me up till now , its better than norton, quicker, and does the job , and norton was the one slowing things down. As for bit defender, the romanian one , money was always wanted after your free period. I did not want to keep downloading a repeat version and start over again after the free period expired , so with AVG i can just carry on. I dont keep sensitive stuff on the laptop so what security i have through VPN and windows defender plus AVG should be enough. I was happy to leave windows defender up front on its own, but after a crash and having to rewrite files the other week im not impressed, so added AVG. Granted its not top of the pops for all aspects of security and lacks some aspects , but its free and works fine for me. ... up till now ..

I have been running Avast Free Anti Virus for some time and it is FREE - no trial period etc
another_clean_sheet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2023, 11:45   #13
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Thanks for that . Just need a while to see how AVG goes on moving forward . But finding a decent link or website to download from without corruption is still a challenge. If you think their own website would be ok , (as many are promoting their product ) i will give it a try if not happy with AVG. thanks for the info.
Old 11th July 2023, 11:54   #14
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
Thanks for that . Just need a while to see how AVG goes on moving forward . But finding a decent link or website to download from without corruption is still a challenge. If you think their own website would be ok , (as many are promoting their product ) i will give it a try if not happy with AVG. thanks for the info.
No problem
another_clean_sheet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2023, 19:31   #15
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Well famous last words. AVG was not a success for me. I had high hopes on first download , but have had a few problems with it. tried defender and then defender plus AVG and still i had to rewrite my reg files ... corrupted after 3 days !! before the AVG download the laptop had full scans/rewrites and all download histories clared ,so was good to go. i do not use apps on the laptop (acer) intel pentium , expensive but very good , and it has very little downloaded files etc , so is pretty clean. The problem is i think that the Avg left big holes for malware/virus and would have been ok if you paid for the extra defence cover. I have now removed it ,after having a problem doing this ,even as administrator,even though im the only user registered , it kept telling me i was not authorised. Sorted in command prompt and then able to remove the APP completely. Now on AVAST ONE free. I have good secure VPN wifi and this is my only usage , so rather suprised im having problems with security , and only since removal of norton. My internet allowances are set to medium restrictions , so im not letting in all and sundry whilst browsing. See how she goes on now...
Old 19th October 2023, 20:29   #16
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

AVAST ONE free . .... Cannot fault it !! Been on it now 3+ months . Never had a blip of a problem from it since i downloaded it. Very happy with the recommendation. Thankyou ...