Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th October 2022, 19:28   #1
peterh

Rover 75 Tourer

Default CDT Club SE - Rear bumper/trim repair advice please

I recently did a(nother - ask my wife!) foolish thing - by backing my beloved Tourer - very gently - into the corner of a low post. And in full daylight, so I've no b. excuse whatsoever, dammit!
This put an (apparently slight) vertical crease into the nearside section of the rear bumper near the tailgate, and bent the lower bit of a metal trim-clip situated about 10cm from the tailgate) to become almost vertical, (presumably from being previously horizontal?) so springing the chromed trim off the clip - AND also removing the little end bit of the trim - an inch-wide end-cap which I KNOW I found and put 'somewhere safe' - I but can't currently locate! ;0(
Because of that slight indentation in the bumper body (and the lack of a working clip), the plas-chrome trim has sprung outwards - and looks rather unsightly - especially to me - particularly with its end-cap missing.
Please does anyone have the experience to recommend a method of repair - possibly a way of pulling out that little crease (E.g. by warming the bumper and pulling gently...?) and/or how to re-bend the flattened metal clip back to being horizontal/functional - or any other ideas?
My local (trusted and genuinely helpful) garage has suggested that the (currently bent flat and useless) lower part of the trim-clip could be ground off and they can then perhaps push the trim back in place while applying some strong filler/adhesive to glue it to the bumper body. This sounds like a possible remedy - if the adhesive holds. If so I'd also appreciate any thoughts please on where to obtain that tiny missing chromed-trim end-piece so I can glue that in place too...
The only other remedy I can see is to remove and replace the whole rear bumper unit - if I can find one, which will need a respray unless it's already Copperleaf Red and in good condition - but that does seem likely to be a rather expensive overkill when the dent is apparently so slight.
With many thanks in advance for your thoughts, Peter (in South Cambs.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rover75-RearBumperTrim 20221030.jpg (131.6 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by peterh; 30th October 2022 at 23:03..
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2022, 08:34   #2
chicochapman
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

If I was you, I'd contact your local branch of ChipsAway - these guys are magicians.
Have another look for that missing cap - and perhaps get your wife to help you !
Malc
chicochapman is offline   Reply With Quote