Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12th July 2020, 09:20   #31
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

I have just read all of this post and....."Its been Emotional".

Fare well in what you do Brian.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Old 12th July 2020, 10:34   #32
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75 CDTi 2005

Default Left again?

I've only met Brian once at a meet a couple of years ago when he remapped my CDTi and programmed a second key. He had a busy few hours as there was a queue of people wanting stuff done. He did a good job and I paid him £150 (I had to get cashback from the pub after lunch!) I remember thinking that his popularity was definitely bringing rewards, and good luck to him.

I've created, moderated, adminned a number of forums large and small over many years including the very first online Police discussion group on AOL from 1994. I've seen people come and I've seen people go. I've also seen people come, go and come back again, sometimes several times. Some go quietly, some don't. Always though, there are backstories which the Mods have to do their best to deal with. And generally, despite their best efforts, the Mods can't win. This has again been true here over recent days owing to behind-the-scenes efforts to resolve some issues which sadly have failed and appear instrumental in Brian leaving the forum again. Mods are often placed in invidious positions and get little recognition of thanks for the aggro they endure. It's to their credit that they go about their business behind the scenes to keep the forum in good order.

This thread contains strong testimonials to marinabrian after another forum member and trader announced his (Brian's) departure. That was always going to happen, as history shows. So by way of neutral observation, there are more than one previous similar threads where Brian or a friend - usually another trader - has announced his departure. These threads then predictably generate much genuine dismay and appreciation for his input over the years. The last in 2018 ran to over 130 posts, a mixture of appreciation and venomous arguing which inevitably divided the community into Fors and Againsts. After his announcement, 8 days later, Brian carried on posting and - with the exception of a few other mini-leavings - has done so ever since. Here's the thread. https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=287285

I'm putting this up not because I have any issues with Brian. I absolutely do not. I would have done so with any member in these circumstances. I do so after a lifetime of ABCs - accept nothing, believe nothing, challenge everything.

My view is it greatly undermines the integrity of the individual concerned and the forum in general, when anyone - least of all valued members - flounce off, receive heaps of genuine appreciation from other dismayed members who are almost always unaware of the back story, and then quietly return after an ego-boost as if nothing had happened. That speaks to using other people and I don't much like that, not at all, not from anyone.

Just an opinion.

Dougie.
• Built 08/02/2005 @14:57 hrs: Registered 26/08/2005
• 122nd of 141 built that day
• British Racing Green Pearlescent (HFF)
• Sandstone leather with black piping (SPJ)
• 137,000 miles
Old 12th July 2020, 10:48   #33
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

After years on the Forum chatting , we only met Brian face to face Last year in the trip to Boxtel,

a bit like me a bit mad !! and calls a spade a spade !! A great guy and fun to be with..

His expertise will be sadly missed in the MGR realms..

BRIAN , Don't be stranger ..

Chris N Liz ..
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Old 12th July 2020, 11:00   #34
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

geez, not good news for al of us.
Maybe i missed somthing but why has he decided to depart the forum?
Like many have said, absolute legend.
Not had the pleasure of a meeting but he has always helped us overseas members out.
Old 12th July 2020, 13:10   #35
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goltho View Post
I've only met Brian once at a meet a couple of years ago when he remapped my CDTi and programmed a second key. He had a busy few hours as there was a queue of people wanting stuff done. He did a good job and I paid him £150 (I had to get cashback from the pub after lunch!) I remember thinking that his popularity was definitely bringing rewards, and good luck to him.

I've created, moderated, adminned a number of forums large and small over many years including the very first online Police discussion group on AOL from 1994. I've seen people come and I've seen people go. I've also seen people come, go and come back again, sometimes several times. Some go quietly, some don't. Always though, there are backstories which the Mods have to do their best to deal with. And generally, despite their best efforts, the Mods can't win. This has again been true here over recent days owing to behind-the-scenes efforts to resolve some issues which sadly have failed and appear instrumental in Brian leaving the forum again. Mods are often placed in invidious positions and get little recognition of thanks for the aggro they endure. It's to their credit that they go about their business behind the scenes to keep the forum in good order.

This thread contains strong testimonials to marinabrian after another forum member and trader announced his (Brian's) departure. That was always going to happen, as history shows. So by way of neutral observation, there are more than one previous similar threads where Brian or a friend - usually another trader - has announced his departure. These threads then predictably generate much genuine dismay and appreciation for his input over the years. The last in 2018 ran to over 130 posts, a mixture of appreciation and venomous arguing which inevitably divided the community into Fors and Againsts. After his announcement, 8 days later, Brian carried on posting and - with the exception of a few other mini-leavings - has done so ever since. Here's the thread. https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=287285

I'm putting this up not because I have any issues with Brian. I absolutely do not. I would have done so with any member in these circumstances. I do so after a lifetime of ABCs - accept nothing, believe nothing, challenge everything.

My view is it greatly undermines the integrity of the individual concerned and the forum in general, when anyone - least of all valued members - flounce off, receive heaps of genuine appreciation from other dismayed members who are almost always unaware of the back story, and then quietly return after an ego-boost as if nothing had happened. That speaks to using other people and I don't much like that, not at all, not from anyone.

Just an opinion.

Dougie.
Well thanks for your own, unique personal opinion Dougie.

I am one of those"dismayed members" who is unaware of the back story to this, so why don't you or the Mods please illuminate us? Sins of omission? Why can we not have the truth, or is the truth something we can't all agree on? You have alluded to "other traders", is that because you know something? I am like many on this forum - left in the dark. It is highly unsatisfactory.
Interior Trim Sports PPH Black, but now with real walnut wooden trim!
One of only 20 on the road!
Old 12th July 2020, 14:13   #36
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Never met you Brian, but your posts never vary from the personally complimentary to the instructional and helpful.

Whatever the background to this and, as a receiver of subsequently ignored criticisms from others occasionally insulting to me, I thank you for your highly valued experience and willingness to help others. I hope the wide response to this news has a positive effect, whatever the outcome. I hope your exposure to current maladies has not affected your plans. Don't let a storm in a teacup spill anything.
Old 12th July 2020, 16:07   #37
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblo_Boy View Post

I am one of those"dismayed members" who is unaware of the back story to this, so why don't you or the Mods please illuminate us? Sins of omission? Why can we not have the truth, or is the truth something we can't all agree on? You have alluded to "other traders", is that because you know something? I am like many on this forum - left in the dark. It is highly unsatisfactory.
What good would it do members if we did know what is happening in the background. Personally I’d say it’s between whoever is discussing it and others knowing the ins and outs will only cause further divisions as people take sides. It’s happened so move on
Old 12th July 2020, 16:18   #38
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75 CDTi 2005

Quote:
It’s not unique, but you’re welcome.

Quote:
I am one of those"dismayed members" who is unaware of the back story to this, so why don't you or the Mods please illuminate us?
Here’s how I would have answered you had another sensible member not beaten me to it. https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...4&postcount=37

My post is about my dislike of people flouncing off, gaining much plauditry and then returning with more plauditry as if nothing had happened. Rinse and repeat. Not about why Brian or anyone else left.

Dougie.
• Built 08/02/2005 @14:57 hrs: Registered 26/08/2005
• 122nd of 141 built that day
• British Racing Green Pearlescent (HFF)
• Sandstone leather with black piping (SPJ)
• 137,000 miles

Last edited by goltho; 12th July 2020 at 16:21..
Old 12th July 2020, 16:49   #39
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Sometimes I think it would be better if we all lightened up, when I first joined the forum it was undergoing one of its self destruction periods, Brian sent me my first ever PM and said it’s not always like this and he was right things did improve.

At the end of the day, it’s just a car club nobody has to join but let’s keep this a happy place.
Old 12th July 2020, 17:00   #40
Steven211
Regular poster

VW Golf TDI yawn

Very sad news, Brian has been a massive help for me since I have joined this forum, his posts and knowledge have been really helpful to me no matter what the subject. He really knows his stuff! Big loss.
Closed Thread