Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th April 2007, 20:48   #1
newk
Regular poster

mg zt cdti +135

Default high milage ?

im thinking of buying a 75 auto but its done 150,000 miles. its in superb condition with full service history, should i expect any problems ?
newk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 21:07   #2
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Many owners are trouble free but the auto gearbox is not renowned for its ability to cover high mileages without problems. Which engine is it?

Purely a personal opinion, if its a 1.8 I'd steer clear, they don't have the longevity of the diesel or V6.
Ross R75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 21:10   #3
newk
Regular poster

mg zt cdti +135

sorry its the 2.0 diesel on a 02 plate
newk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 21:15   #4
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Well, I think its undeniably the strongest engine of those available. The rest of the car will fall apart before you have any major problems with the CDT powerplant. The clutch on the manual and the cooling fan can be problematic but no more so than any other make of car. I'm sure one of the "auto boys" will be along shortly to advise you further, I don't have any experience of the gearbox and wouldn't like to steer you in the wrong direction.
Ross R75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 21:25   #5
Simon
Banned

-

From what I can gather the JATCO autobox was rumoured to be good for around 100K. However, a few members know of our cars running these 'boxes over and above 120K.

What sort of price are they asking for the car? Current prices for 75/ZT CDT(i)s Auto's are going upwards rapidly - especially the Tourers. If you are having any doubts then don't be forced into buying it, there may well be others with lower milleage that will suit you too.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 21:37   #6
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

It is quite a High Mileage Car but if price is low enough it will allow for a new box should you need one in the future. The Gearbox Fluid should be changed every 60,000 miles ensure this has been done.
Ensure you have a LONG test drive in it not just a few miles.
Check the Kickdown works correctly, use in the different gears, check for any noise coming from box (they should be very quite), the jatco box is very smooth so if there is any judder, jumps or any other symtons be wary. A new box is around the £1200 mark. If any warranty is given check Gearbox is included, as warranties at that mileage are difficult to come by.
If it is being purchased from a Garage you should at least get a 30 Day Guarantee with it time to check out any problems.
Best of Luck, there are a lot out there so don't rush in. You did not state a price but don't pay to much for it. The Engines are the BMW Lumps and they are Bullet Proof and no Belts to change as Chain Driven. BMW do suggest having these changed at 200,000 to 220,000 miles.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 07:47   #7
paulmariner
Avid contributor

75 CDTi Connie Auto tourer 54 160 re-map

My CDT auto on 02 plate has now done 135k and I've had no gearbox problems.
I recently got the oil changed and it seems smoother than ever.
As long as the car has a full history and you're confident of the dealer/seller then buy.
Then just sit back and enjoy the ride!!
paulmariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 10:23   #8
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Don't be put off by a high mileage car assuming the service history is complete and in depth

This is a good example of what to expect
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ADME:B:EF:UK:2

There is a myth about autoboxes lasting around 100,000 miles we don't have any indication of that being fact so don't let that put you off just don't expect fuel econony to be as good as the manual
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2007, 10:24   #9
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Moved to the main forum as it is not really a Tech help type question
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 21:32   #10
mickywillis
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Connosieur Auto Gone but not forgotten!!Now have a Jag X Type Diesel Estate,:)

I've a 52 Reg CDT Auto, SE Connosieur which has done 120K, no problems. Paid £4500 last July with 112K on the clock, so I think I did fairly well.
FSH, all work done to the car by previous owner is documented (if serviced my an Xpart dealer, you can get a print off of all work done as long as its registered on their system)
As stated by others, auto box fluid change at a minimum of 60K (make sure this has been done in the history), check the cooling fan (on the radiator, not the interior one!) operates with the Climate control on, check for excess black smoke (Air Flow Meter unit possibly US) from the exhaust.
Also consider that the Auto is higher on the Vehicle Tax rating (currently £205 whereas the manual is £140) and uses more fuel than the manual, but is also much nicer to drive when stuck in traffic (clutches on manuals are apparently quite "heavy"?
mickywillis is offline   Reply With Quote