Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12th June 2014, 12:05   #21
andre372
Gets stuck in

2001 Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 CDT manual Royal Blue (JFM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Virtual T4 is a standalone software product in it's own right, solely developed by Phil-T4.

The front end interface at the moment is utilising standard RDS software, which of course as we both own standard T4 machines is perfectly legal and no infringement of copyright exists.

So the only "virtual" part, is the emulation of the electronic handshaking of the actual T4 interface, for which there are no copyright issues.

So there is nothing stopping you purchasing a legitimate copy of RDS 5.06, and DST0006V directly from Omitec, and running Phil's software and hardware in conjuction with it

On saying that, the finished product will have it's own custom front end interface

Brian
What does all that mean?
Phil's interface (cable) connected between car's J1962 connector and computer via USB, the computer running RDS 5.06 and Phil's software to allow using the USB (or serial) interface directly without the original hub/demultiplexer?
MODS: Front fog lamps, FBH timer switch, FBH OBD, boot and arm rest power sockets, cruise control, Powerflex lower arm bushes, illuminated vanity mirrors, high-line IPK, Symphony stereo + SLE, 160 remap, Revotec fan, 12N+12S, auto-dimming rear view mirror, rain sensor, volumetric alarm sensor, PDC, powerfolds, sports leather memory seats, passenger anti-trap sensor
TO DO: Tilt sensor, low coolant sensor, FBH GSM remote control, heated washer jets, front parking sensors
Old 12th June 2014, 12:05   #22
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spôôk View Post
I don't know the solution in question at all. But from a software distribution point it would be an infringement if whole or parts of the (original) software was copied and transferred to another client/user on a permanent basis ie. was able to run on that client machine.
However, if an individual piece of software installed on a client/user PC could transfer the "live" data to/from an OBD interface to a remote T4, I don't see how anybody could object as this would just be regarded as a virtual CABLE.
Offcourse someone might even write an entirely new program like the BMW 1.4x scanner software, sending data to a T4 - who knows. And that would not be an infringement either.

Preben

Ooops, Brian beat me to it.
Something I was in discussion with Phil this very day, in regards to your own situation Preben

Watch this space

Brian
Old 12th June 2014, 12:08   #23
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre372 View Post
What does all that mean?
Phil's interface (cable) connected between car's J1962 connector and computer via USB, the computer running RDS 5.06 and Phil's software to allow using the USB (or serial) interface directly without the original hub/demultiplexer?
Yes, that is it exactly, Phil's software and bespoke USB serial interface, allows the RDS software to be used without the actual T4 interface

Brian
Old 12th June 2014, 12:21   #24
andre372
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Yes, that is it exactly, Phil's software and bespoke USB serial interface, allows the RDS software to be used without the actual T4 interface

Brian
Terrific

The pictures you added in your earlier post... Are you already trying out Phil's "emulation" software?
And the blue "virtual T4" cable, is this a simple Vag-Com cable with an FTDI chip or is this 232RL something different?
MODS: Front fog lamps, FBH timer switch, FBH OBD, boot and arm rest power sockets, cruise control, Powerflex lower arm bushes, illuminated vanity mirrors, high-line IPK, Symphony stereo + SLE, 160 remap, Revotec fan, 12N+12S, auto-dimming rear view mirror, rain sensor, volumetric alarm sensor, PDC, powerfolds, sports leather memory seats, passenger anti-trap sensor
TO DO: Tilt sensor, low coolant sensor, FBH GSM remote control, heated washer jets, front parking sensors
Old 12th June 2014, 12:24   #25
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Terrific

The pictures you added in your earlier post... Are you already trying out Phil's "emulation" software?
And the blue "virtual T4" cable, is this a simple Vag-Com cable with an FTDI chip or is this 232RL something different?
It isn't a simple VAG-Com cable I'm afraid, but the FTDI FT232RL chip is the basis of the interface

And yes, that is Phil's software in the pictures, running on my standard T4 laptop

Brian
Old 12th June 2014, 12:24   #26
Spôôk
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Conn. SE

Quote:
Something I was in discussion with Phil this very day, in regards to your own situation Preben

Watch this space

Brian

Don't mention the War
Old 12th June 2014, 12:24   #27
terreneuve
Avid contributor

Rover 75 x 2

Quote:
Simon, Phil is planning a locked to VIN version for individuals wanting to diagnose their own car, and a limited multiple licence version for owners who have more than one car like yourself.

I have been trialing VT4 Beta myself, and I have to say it is very nice, very stable, and does what it says on the tin

Brian
interesting developments, is there a release date??

John
Old 12th June 2014, 12:27   #28
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by terreneuve View Post
interesting developments, is there a release date??

John
Phil is working on the release version as we speak John, however no firm date yet I'm afraid.

Of course you as a TestBook owner are licenced to utilise your own copy of RDS, in conjunction with VT4

Brian
Old 12th June 2014, 12:34   #29
andre372
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Phil is working on the release version as we speak John, however no firm date yet I'm afraid.

Of course you as a TestBook owner are licenced to utilise your own copy of RDS, in conjunction with VT4

Brian
Apart from obtaining the RDS and data discs, is there any approximate cost for Phil's interface and software?
Old 12th June 2014, 12:38   #30
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Apart from obtaining the RDS and data discs, is there any approximate cost for Phil's interface and software?
Something I would suggest best directed via PM to Phil in person

Brian
Closed Thread