Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th August 2011, 11:23   #1
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Default Fuel gauge goes up with no fuel added

Good afternoon chaps and chapesses

My fuel gauge appears to be linked to the predicted range of my car, giving strange readings that are really annoying!

E.g. after a bit of fiddly parking the gauge will drop dramatically, only to rise up again as I am driving steadily. Sadly it is not petrol pixies filling my tank for me on the move, just a 'clever' gauge that isn't.

Can this be turned off? I'm wondering if mine has this feature because it also has the trip computer with range readout (which also isn't always helpful), or do all 75 fuel gauges do this? I'd rather have a simple readout of what volume of physical go-juice is left.

Yours, with 'some' petrol in the tank, Bolin.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 11:35   #2
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

It is linked to the MPG calculation on the next screen.
There are lots of how to's to set it up accurately, I have used it a few times and found it to be quite accurate-going down to a 16miles range, not clever, but at least it is more accurate than a reserve light.

If you do not want to see it, don not switch it on-ie the button on the indicator stalk.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 12:17   #3
Bolin
This is my second home

Thanks for the reply, I haven't yet done the mpg calibration etc through the ODB.

What I really want though is the analogue fuel gauge itself not to listen to the current mpg when showing me how much petrol is left!
Old 25th August 2011, 14:53   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

I am assuming you mean the fuel guage on the dash, the mechanical arm that reads full, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 and empty. If so there is a fault. the guage has no input from anything other than the floats in the tank, how much fuel you have left in your tank will not vary if you do 2mpg or 200 mpg.

First thing to do is to check the plenums for water, unlikelyto be the cause but should be a priority

then you should turn your attention to the tank

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 26th August 2011 at 10:19..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 15:43   #5
Bolin
This is my second home

OK, many thanks Stocktake, I assumed this was a 'design feature', not a fault!

There is no mention of this in the car's handbook or even in the Technical Brochure. So I have a strange fault.

Plenums are drier that a Yorkshireman's wit, as expected with the Plenum Shield fitted.

Anybody have any ideas as to why my fuel gauge is reacting to the car's mpg??

Last edited by Bolin; 17th March 2013 at 11:52.. Reason: spelling!
Old 25th August 2011, 15:48   #6
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

At what point is it changing? Is it through the whole range of the dial, or only in the bottom quarter?
ZedTeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 16:02   #7
Bolin
This is my second home

Just the bottom quarter. This thread is related but it only seems to affect CDT owners:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...fuel+gauge+mpg

I wonder if it something to do with the fuel only picking off out of one side of the tank and taking a little bit of driving to equalize and hence correct the guage reading? I have the earlier fuel pump set up, but I thought it came out of both side with a guage float in both sides too.
Old 25th August 2011, 16:54   #8
wutang
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 auto (LPG) & mg tf 160

I don't consider it a fault but my V6 does the same thing, if i am driving on petrol (rare) and I am taking it easy and the needle is under the quarter if i then floor it and give the car a good italian tune up the needle will plunge to nothing, easing up again and the needle will go back up.

Always just asumed it was the car saying " if you drive me like that you need to visit the petrol station a little earlier."

has done it ever since I bought the car, never bothered me.

Richard
wutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 16:58   #9
r75cdti
Regular poster

rover 75

I drive a cdti auto and my fuel guage does exatly the same.

bit skint this time of the month so i let it run down. when its warmed up with say 50miles left on the range its past the light but when its 1st started on way home from work or 1st thing in morning, the range goes right down and so does the needle. oh and my plenums are also dry.
r75cdti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 17:24   #10
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolin View Post
Just the bottom quarter. This thread is related but it only seems to affect CDT owners:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...fuel+gauge+mpg

I wonder if it something to do with the fuel only picking off out of one side of the tank and taking a little bit of driving to equalize and hence correct the guage reading? I have the earlier fuel pump set up, but I thought it came out of both side with a guage float in both sides too.
That's why I asked - mine does the same and I assumed (rightly or wrongly) it was just the tank finding it's own level, pumping from one side to the other. Only does it when it's really low though. Don't think it's a fault to be honest.
ZedTeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote