Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th October 2009, 17:59   #1
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Default oh no... Tin Worm.

Rob (Trebor) spotted a line of rust bubbles along the lower edge of the rear near-side door on VeeKay weekend before last. I was horrified

To be fair, it was only just starting to bubble and was merely 3mm wide but right along the lower outside edge of the door.

Bodyshop chap had a look today and immediately spotted that the door had been re-skinned in the past. Clearly not very well done and it doesn't appear anywhere in the service history

So that, combined with the "road rage" dent on the wheel arch on the off-side galvanised me into making the necessary arrangements and VeeKay is to go in for surgery at the earliest opportunity

Makes you wonder what sort of cowboys some of these body shops are when a brand new panel can be so poorly fitted as to have tin worm coming through in what has to be, following a bit of detective work, less than 5 years after the repair was done.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 18:04   #2
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
Rob (Trebor) spotted a line of rust bubbles along the lower edge of the rear near-side door on VeeKay weekend before last. I was horrified

To be fair, it was only just starting to bubble and was merely 3mm wide but right along the lower outside edge of the door.

Bodyshop chap had a look today and immediately spotted that the door had been re-skinned in the past. Clearly not very well done and it doesn't appear anywhere in the service history

So that, combined with the "road rage" dent on the wheel arch on the off-side galvanised me into making the necessary arrangements and VeeKay is to go in for surgery at the earliest opportunity

Makes you wonder what sort of cowboys some of these body shops are when a brand new panel can be so poorly fitted as to have tin worm coming through in what has to be, following a bit of detective work, less than 5 years after the repair was done.

at least you know what has caused it now Paul, so thats something, but why a new door skin i wonder unless damage in the past, could just be a door dent of course

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 18:34   #3
MN190
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190+

A few years ago my dad who was a self employed car sprayer (now retired) had the contract with a local branch of a national car dealer to repaint cars that had been damaged during transporting.
The garage wouldn't tell the buyer about any of the damage regardless of how bad it was!
They would only pay for the cheapest repair they could get away with.
MN190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 18:49   #4
Raistlin
Banned

So it might have been done pre delivery "as new" to the first owner?

That is monstrous. I'm the second owner from new and between IBM, the first owner and myself, VeeKay has wanted for nothing
Old 5th October 2009, 18:57   #5
FROGGY
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT CDTI

Body repairs = tinworm. I don't care how good the repair guys are, rust is going to appear. You are lucky that it has taken 5 years to show.

Mick

IN THE BLACK NOW
FROGGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 19:12   #6
Raistlin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROGGY View Post
Body repairs = tinworm. I don't care how good the repair guys are, rust is going to appear. You are lucky that it has taken 5 years to show.

Mick
But unlucky, or at least the first owner was, to be sold a car "as new" which had probably already sustained sufficient accident damage / vandalism, to require a re-skin.
Old 6th October 2009, 18:57   #7
P63500S
Loves to post

Toyota celica but looking for 75 or zt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN190 View Post
A few years ago my dad who was a self employed car sprayer (now retired) had the contract with a local branch of a national car dealer to repaint cars that had been damaged during transporting.
The garage wouldn't tell the buyer about any of the damage regardless of how bad it was!
They would only pay for the cheapest repair they could get away with.
Freind of mine owns a body shop, and has a contract with renault. Went to visit him last week, couple of his chaps were repairing a dent on the roof, trailer transport damage!!
Old 7th October 2009, 16:50   #8
Raistlin
Banned

Many thanks to Mick (M11GKV) who recommended a bodyshop only a mile away from where I live. You can't beat personal recommendation

Called in this evening and got a firm quote whilst looking at some of their work which impressed me a lot.

VeeKay goes in next Thursday
Old 7th October 2009, 19:07   #9
WIDE LOAD
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T CDTi, MGF 1.8i

Happy Days
WIDE LOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 19:24   #10
Rover418275
Banned

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
Many thanks to Mick (M11GKV) who recommended a bodyshop only a mile away from where I live. You can't beat personal recommendation

Called in this evening and got a firm quote whilst looking at some of their work which impressed me a lot.

VeeKay goes in next Thursday
Hi Paul,

Any chance of some pics to illustrate exactly where the rust is, and the results once the remedial work has been completed?

Cheers

Mike
Rover418275 is offline   Reply With Quote