Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th May 2009, 18:53   #1
mark_bonsai
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Saloon

Default Keys

Quick question for you technical bods.

A friend of mine has just posed a question which I couldn't accurately answer. He's got chance of buying a stolen recovered 75, but it's got no keys. As a new key is expensive enough to put on an MP's expenses, he's wanting to know if a key and lock set from another 75 can be "tranplanted". I initally thought he could as long as the alarm module was also used, but then doubts started to set in as to whether everything's linked, and therefore not interchangable.

Your thoughts and advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Re-mapped. EGR bypass. De-catted. 18" Apex's. ZT190 brakes & suspension. Xenon projectors. Powerfold bullets. Electric rear sun blind. Auto dipping rear view mirror. Wood and leather steering wheel. Wood handbrake handle. Full leather sports seats. Harman Kardon speakers & sub. Navall 2 double din through 500w Kenwood amp. Fully chromed front grill.
mark_bonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 19:05   #2
Departed
Retired

--

It gets messy.

With the immobiliser, keys, locks and engine ECU it ought to start, and with the BCU the remote should work. However don't hold me to this as I've never tried it!

However, the VIN won't then match the instrument pack and the light switch. This can cause problems. I recently put a T1 testbook on a car and because of inconsitencies in the configuration, it refused to do anything except allow me to fix the configuration, which is only possible after getting codes from xpart (unless someone knows where to get a ZCS calculator?).

Even if you change the lot, your talking big monet from a breakers, probably as much as a key, and the VIN would be wrong too!

Out of interest, what engine?
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 19:15   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Buying a new key/keys from BMW and having this/these T4 installed to the car's system is the only way to do it IMO. A single key costs around £150-£200 fitted and working. I doubt if two costs double that, but maybe so.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 19:28   #4
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Buying a new key/keys from BMW and having this/these T4 installed to the car's system is the only way to do it IMO. A single key costs around £150-£200 fitted and working. I doubt if two costs double that, but maybe so.

TC
I would agree............BUT......you have to produce the V5C to be able to order the key....this may prove to be tricky with this car if it's a write off
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 08:30   #5
jcwatrichmond
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T 2003 Club SE

I often see keys for sale on Ebay for about £12 to £15. Does that mean people are buying them and then paying £150-200 to get them programmed?
Also the blade must have the wrong grooves.

John Wright
jcwatrichmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 08:35   #6
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwatrichmond View Post
I often see keys for sale on Ebay for about £12 to £15. Does that mean people are buying them and then paying £150-200 to get them programmed?
Also the blade must have the wrong grooves.

John Wright

and it won't start the car as the immobilisor chip is wrong. If it's got the bar code, it can be programmed to open the door, and that's about it
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote