Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd October 2018, 17:20   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Yorkshire Dales

been a tad over 2 weeks on holiday in the Yorkshire Dales, southern part close to Skipton.
Went to the Ribblehead viaduct and was lucky enough to see a steam train going over it.

Walking in the hills the views are stunning, see for miles and if you are lucky, no traffic or plane noise.

We intend to go back as there are so many walks we did not do.
If you like walking in the country side, Yorkshire Dales is recommended

We hired a short narrow boat and went on the Leeds to Liverpool cannel. my wife got the hang of steering close to the bank to drop me off, I'd open a swing bridge, she would steam through and then come in close to the bank to pick me up once I'd closed the bridge. Really impressed with her.

she is now to be known as captain Ann, the Pennine pirate

we celebrated our 34th wedding anniversary while away.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2018, 12:26   #2
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

Congratulations - on both the wedding anniversary, and your decision to spend it in the Dales.
There's still a major misconception, especially in the case of the press, that the "North of England" (i.e. North of Watford Gap Services) is simply a land of disused coal mines, redundant factory chimneys and rusting steelworks.
Just don't tell TOO many folk about the REAL area - we don't want the place getting overloaded

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2018, 12:33   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reworht View Post
North of England" (i.e. North of Watford Gap Services) is simply a land of disused coal mines, redundant factory chimneys and rusting steelworksD

That’s because the above was caused by those in Westminster who live in another bl00dy world.
Old 3rd October 2018, 13:10   #4
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:

There's still a major misconception, especially in the case of the press, that the "North of England" (i.e. North of Watford Gap Services) is simply a land of disused coal mines, redundant factory chimneys and rusting steelworks.

Surely, that is the case north of Guisborough!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2018, 13:15   #5
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Surely, that is the case north of Guisborough!
There's still plenty of ironstone mine shafts you can fall down about half a mile from me

I daren't say anything about the land North of the River Tees - too many Geordies, Mackems and Scots on my list of people who still talk to me

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2018, 13:58   #6
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Congratulations - on both the wedding anniversary, and your decision to spend it in the Dales.
Just don't tell TOO many folk about the REAL area - we don't want the place getting overloaded

One of the things I actually love about living 'up North' are the (very few) disused coal mines, redundant factory chimneys etc - they give you a proper sense of perspective about Britain. There is also a lot of the best of Britain above Birmingham and once you get past about Lancaster I defy you to tell me that Britain is even slightly 'full'. It would be a proper shame if it was though as a lot of wonderful places would disappear as at the moment they are wonderful empty places with amazing scenery.

Britain isn't full, it's just been asset stripped by decades of bad management by various British governments who are now trying to blame everyone else for their idiocy

Last edited by mystabe; 3rd October 2018 at 14:03..
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2018, 22:17   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

I did feel that a number of locals I met were miserable gits.
I would expect some of the places we went to for walking must, be murder on a nice summers day in the holidays, visitors parked everywhere.

We could see for miles from the ops of the hills. We sat for an hour or so on one walk just admiring the view.

macafee2
Old 3rd October 2018, 22:19   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
we spent one anniversary walking around Auschwitz.

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 4th October 2018 at 08:12..
Old 4th October 2018, 06:33   #9
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

We lived in Nidderdale for 30 or more years probably one of the most captivating dales in N.Yorkshire..pretty all the year around especially with a snowfall and the twinkling of lights at night from small farms and cottages..spent many happy hours trout fishing in the Nidd.

Watched the decline of Harrogate over the years as it became over run with the nouveau riche, reps from London and US folk from Menwith Hill which in turn sent property prices soaring..

You would think the local business's would do well from tourism however, most of the visitors walk about with their hands firmly in their pockets.Was never keen on Skipton apart from the market was quite good.

Glad you enjoyed your trip and well done to your other half for her boating skills
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2018, 08:06   #10
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
we spent on anniversary walking around Auschwitz.

macafee2
Been there a couple of times. Knocks the stuffing out of you to be honest. Its absolutely vast.

Apart from its place in history I would recommend the Yorkshire Dales as a place to switch off and just take in the best England has to offer.
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote