Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd January 2011, 18:28   #1
Paulwestbrook
Regular poster

Rover 1800 75 CONNOISEUR 2004

Default Collant temp indicator

Happy New year to you all.
Question ~ The temperature needle keeps yoyoing whilst driving. I takes a long while to indicate the correct engine temp then randomly drops to just above zero, creaps up again and then back down. The coolant level is just below the markers when cool. There is no apparent performance drop or engine noise at any time. The in car temp also drops with the needle. Is this a thermostat on it way out?
Paul
Old 2nd January 2011, 19:18   #2
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulwestbrook View Post
Happy New year to you all.
Question ~ The temperature needle keeps yoyoing whilst driving. I takes a long while to indicate the correct engine temp then randomly drops to just above zero, creaps up again and then back down. The coolant level is just below the markers when cool. There is no apparent performance drop or engine noise at any time. The in car temp also drops with the needle. Is this a thermostat on it way out?
Paul
Hi, happy new year.. odd one, the thermostat could be stuck open, does it get cooler the faster you go?
Old 2nd January 2011, 20:13   #3
Paulwestbrook
Regular poster

No, its totally random. I have noticed that if I stop for around 5 minutes for petrol etc, the needle will go straight to correct temp. Than as the journey continues, the movement starts again.
Old 2nd January 2011, 20:19   #4
Paulwestbrook
Regular poster

I suppose Phil, your explanation is totally logical. As the water is cooled during the journey via the rad, then the indicator would drop as well as the in car temp. Does the thermostat open and close when engine temp is met. I always thought it would stay open once optimum temp is reached. It is odd though.
Old 2nd January 2011, 20:26   #5
Phil
This is my second home

Hi, the thermostat will open once running temp is reached.
How long does it take to stablise? My first 75's temp gauge used to "dance" if I drove it, let it stand for half an hour to an hour then start it up, it would dance around as the temp sensor sensed water that had cooled more than some, as it mixed, it settled after about thirty seconds. The temp gauge doesn't follow logic on these cars. It is programmed to display what it does at various temperature ranges.
Old 2nd January 2011, 20:34   #6
Paulwestbrook
Regular poster

It takes a good twenty minutes to get to where it should be, this lasts for about 5 minutes and then it drops right down, creeps up and so on. What about the sensor, could the problem possible lie there?
Old 2nd January 2011, 20:36   #7
Phil
This is my second home

Quote:
It takes a good twenty minutes to get to where it should be, this lasts for about 5 minutes and then it drops right down, creeps up and so on. What about the sensor, could the problem possible lie there?
I would say yes, but you say the heater goes cold so I think not. Do you have any coolant loss? What does the coolant look like? Is it a nice clear pink/orange colour?
Old 2nd January 2011, 20:36   #8
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
The temperature needle keeps yoyoing whilst driving. I takes a long while to indicate the correct engine temp then randomly drops to just above zero, creeps up again and then back down.
This is not normal in a 1.8 engine, which should pretty quickly reach 'normal' running temperature and stay there, whatever the driving conditions or outside temperature. Having said that the gauge is quite useless for telling you what the temperature is actually doing. Far better to monitor it using the OBD screen. There's info on this if you need it.

The yo-yo temperature gauge could be a reflection of an actual variation. If so, then there's a fault in the cooling system somewhere. First suspect is the thermostat, which will be the in-line Pressure Relief type in a 2004 model. These however, usually perform well.

Second suspect is the temperature sensor mounted at the right end of the head as you look at the engine. If that or the connection is faulty, the gauge will misbehave. Does the cooling fan ever trip on unexpectedly?

Are you absolutely sure the coolant inventory is right? The level may seem OK, but an air bubble in the system could cause erratic gauge activity. Do you check it regularly and do you have to top it up very often?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2011, 20:38   #9
Phil
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
This is not normal in a 1.8 engine, which should pretty quickly reach 'normal' running temperature and stay there, whatever the driving conditions or outside temperature. Having said that the gauge is quite useless for telling you what the temperature is actually doing. Far better to monitor it using the OBD screen. There's info on this if you need it.

The yo-yo temperature gauge could be a reflection of an actual variation. If so, then there's a fault in the cooling system somewhere. First suspect is the thermostat, which will be the in-line Pressure Relief type in a 2004 model. These however, usually perform well.

Second suspect is the temperature sensor mounted at the right end of the head as you look at the engine. If that or the connection is faulty, the gauge will misbehave. Does the cooling fan ever trip on unexpectedly?

Are you absolutely sure the coolant inventory is right? The level may seem OK, but an air bubble in the system could cause erratic gauge activity. Do you check it regularly and do you have to top it up very often?

TC
Hi TC, all 1.8T's have PRTS.
Old 2nd January 2011, 20:46   #10
Paulwestbrook
Regular poster

Phil . The coolant level is fine and 'clean' pink.

T-cut. I have had a coolant loss problem, it turned out to be a split T piece on the hoses at the top of the rad. Its been fine since. Interesting what you say about the fan. Just realised it doesn't come on anymore when I stop driving. It used to all the time for about 3 minutes once the engine was off. Is the fan linked into the sensor as well?