Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd November 2019, 11:44   #11
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Steve, not need to cut the cowling to remove the fan which you probably already know but not the OP. Did a replacement fan job yesterday so it's fresh in my memory. With the waist 8mm bolts removed and the clips under the cowling, there's enough play to slip the cowling off the top pins and pivot the righthand (facing it) side of the cowling outwards. You can then access the three usually stubborn torx screws. Done about eight in this fashion, only cut the cowling the first time.

Only 2.5 hours, I thought our time yesterday (me & the owner) of just over 3 hours qualified for Mr. Guiness' book and that was with no snags.

Regard,

Mike
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2019, 13:13   #12
Shaker
Avid contributor

ZT 260 SE, ZT-T 135+, ZT 160+1.8T, ZS180, ZR115+, 07 2.5 Connie SE

Morning all and a big thanks to all who replied I helped. I've got the control unit out, without cuting anything there were no torx screws either!
It was a sticking relay as soon as I prised it out the contact freed so I connected the battery and the fan stayed off.��
However the contacts are burnt so I'm cleaning them with a bit of 2000 grit paper to get me over this week, so the question is where can I get a new relay/s from. I can't use the parts car as that's a diesel, thanks again.

V8.... Everything else is just a toy!!!
Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2019, 13:42   #13
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

And thanks for the update, all too many forget to come back with the answer to their problems.

The stubborn torx screws hold the fan in place, obviously you didn't need to touch these.

I've got several relay boxes surplus to needs, and you're welcome to any relays FOC but would hope that someone more local can assist. Otherwise PM me.

Regards
Old 3rd November 2019, 13:53   #14
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker View Post
... where can I get a new relay/s from. I can't use the parts car as that's a diesel ...
Yes you can Steve. Open the diesel control box, remove a relay of the same physical size and fit it to the car you're working on.
It's only the whole control box assembly which cannot be exchanged between petrol and diesel cars. The relays are common.

Or take up Mike's kind offer.

Simon
Old 3rd November 2019, 14:28   #15
Shaker
Avid contributor

ZT 260 SE, ZT-T 135+, ZT 160+1.8T, ZS180, ZR115+, 07 2.5 Connie SE

thanks Mike, Simon. I've just put it al back together and the fan is staying off. Based on that its now going to be next weekend, assuming it doesn't rain, before I can attack the diesel parts car. So thanks Mike I'll try that route first.

V8.... Everything else is just a toy!!!
Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2019, 01:03   #16
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Steve, not need to cut the cowling to remove the fan which you probably already know but not the OP. Did a replacement fan job yesterday so it's fresh in my memory. With the waist 8mm bolts removed and the clips under the cowling, there's enough play to slip the cowling off the top pins and pivot the righthand (facing it) side of the cowling outwards. You can then access the three usually stubborn torx screws. Done about eight in this fashion, only cut the cowling the first time.

Only 2.5 hours, I thought our time yesterday (me & the owner) of just over 3 hours qualified for Mr. Guiness' book and that was with no snags.

Regard,

Mike
Hi Mike.
I worked along side Stocktake at one of our meet a few years back and if my memory serves me right we did a complete fan change with car put back together in 1hr 50minutes which was our best time to date, I have a V6 fan to sort out in weeks time or so I will see how long it takes.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2019, 09:41   #17
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Mike.
I worked along side Stocktake at one of our meet a few years back and if my memory serves me right we did a complete fan change with car put back together in 1hr 50minutes which was our best time to date, I have a V6 fan to sort out in weeks time or so I will see how long it takes.
Remarkably swift time by the dynamic duo - will be doing another one myself mid Nov but don’t expect to better my time as this latest one was relatively snag free.

Mike
Old 12th November 2019, 12:39   #18
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Remarkably swift time by the dynamic duo - will be doing another one myself mid Nov but don’t expect to better my time as this latest one was relatively snag free.

Mike
Hi Mike.
Fitted a two wire 2speed to a launch car today 2 hours including a new Shannon tube well chuffed with the time mind you all the nuts & bolts cam unless lovely was quite surprised, really nice car too white connie owned by Mason.

He did have a bit of luck with him though the other day as he drove through some flood water and the engine cut out, he got himself towed out with out trying to start the car, because the Shannon tube which was original was like a birds nest if sucked the water up into the air filter but did not Hydrolock the engine very lucky, as above new Shannon tube now onboard

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2019, 16:31   #19
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Steve,

Got another fan job quite soon but no way I’m going to beat your two hour job unless God decides to give me back some youth while retaining the experience I now have.

Lucky owner. Heard from Dave that my latest batch of VIS motors might be delayed, something about flood water and his shed and el.power - thought if anyone he would have gas lamps.

Mike
Old 12th November 2019, 16:48   #20
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Steve,

Heard from Dave that my latest batch of VIS motors might be delayed, something about flood water and his shed and el.power - thought if anyone he would have gas lamps.

Mike
Not managed to work out the gas or coal fired lathe yet Mike

Power has been restored I just dare not touch anything unless I have my wellies on

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote