Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th May 2012, 10:09   #1
nuts75
Gets stuck in

Mgzt

Default C.D.T Water loss?

HI , got me a cdt auto ,had it about three weeks now drives a1.lovley smooth gearchange and it performs great ,i got a question .when i bought it i did the usual checks when i got it home plenums ,fluid levels .and the water level. now the water level was low,so i topped it up with about a cup full of anti freeze and water . today done my weekly checks and the water level had dropped again ,so ive topped again with about the same amount of water. looked around the car cant see any kind of leaks .im puzzled . regs tony
Old 5th May 2012, 10:49   #2
scouseeric
Passed Away

75 contemporary se cdti

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts75 View Post
HI , got me a cdt auto ,had it about three weeks now drives a1.lovley smooth gearchange and it performs great ,i got a question .when i bought it i did the usual checks when i got it home plenums ,fluid levels .and the water level. now the water level was low,so i topped it up with about a cup full of anti freeze and water . today done my weekly checks and the water level had dropped again ,so ive topped again with about the same amount of water. looked around the car cant see any kind of leaks .im puzzled . regs tony
Two places i suggest looking Tony, 1/ The outlet at the base of the expansion tank( fit decent jubilee clip) 2/ top left corner of the radiator where the top hose elbow fits, tighten the two retaining nuts they are prone to weep. I'm sure others will add to these...good luck!

Eric
scouseeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 12:20   #3
nuts75
Gets stuck in

Mgzt

THANKS, eric .will check them now .
Old 5th May 2012, 17:46   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Slight weep from the thermostat housing isn't unknown on the diesels. Difficult to spot, but with a torch and small mirror, or removing the undertray and looking up from underneath you should be able to pinpoint it.

Only other thing is the correct max coolant level is at the base of the expansion tank, so if you add too much coolant it will get ejected when the engine warms up.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Noc; 5th May 2012 at 17:50..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 21:18   #5
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts75 View Post
Are you sure you are not topping it up to high? The water level is near the bottom of the header tank just above the fins. If filled to high it will 'blow' the excess water out of the overflow pipe.

Last edited by bl52krz; 5th May 2012 at 21:19.. Reason: mike beat me to it.
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 21:24   #6
nuts75
Gets stuck in

Mgzt

hi thanks for the response,i think i fixed the problem the pipe directly under the expansion tank was weeping a bit,tightend it up and going to see if that does the trick . regs tonk