Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th December 2023, 21:33   #1
lionatus
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

Default ABS fault

Lights on but don't have a T4, but have used several systems in the garage and all sensors appear working. All fault codes gone and running test shows no errors using the MOT bay. Has the ABS module died or is it as simple as a sensor fault? No error codes but nearside front is showing a lot of brake dust staining. This side also had the wiring ripped out as some eejit didn't put the gromet back in on the wheel lining and it caught and got ripped out. No damage showing. Got the ABS grind, then the squeal, then nothing and light on all the time. Went to the computer ABS fault code just a generic failure that didn't specify what the fault was. Cleaned up, airhosed around all 4 wheels and error disappeared but the ABS shows all the time still. Any ideas?
lionatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2023, 01:24   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Alan.
Have you drove the car since repairing the ABS plug/loom in the engine bay, have a go at unplugging them one by one and see if the light goes out after driving the car for a few miles, sometime it will out before you even get to the top of the road.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2023, 08:02   #3
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Anyone nearby with Toaf? You’re not that far from Newcastle where a famous ex-wizard lives.

I had a visitor here yesterday from the nearby town of Uppsala (an hour’s drive) with an ABS fault, not too chilly only minus 12c but as we were outdoors I ran Toaf rather than my T4 (this morning is cold though - minus 22c). The initial scan showed faults on both front left & front right, but the speedometer was working (never used the cruise). Faults cleared and then a 100m test drive, on return re-scanned and only front left came back.

If your speedometer/cruise control are working then you can discount both front wheels. Grinding, low speed activation usually indicate rear wheel faults often caused by brake shield rust flakes on the magnetic strip.

Good luck
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2023, 08:54   #4
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

When this happened to me, the wire had worn through on the tyre when turning. Fitted a new sensor, re-routed the cable, all good 👍

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2023, 10:45   #5
lionatus
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

Ok fixed the wiring, redid the connectors and got the self test to work. ABS goes off and now comes back on. A start at least as opposed to always being on. Now to find the error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Alan.
Have you drove the car since repairing the ABS plug/loom in the engine bay, have a go at unplugging them one by one and see if the light goes out after driving the car for a few miles, sometime it will out before you even get to the top of the road.
Old 5th December 2023, 10:46   #6
lionatus
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

Couldn't see any damage to any so will need to try again, have TOAF just need to get it on test laptop. Hopefully that'll help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
When this happened to me, the wire had worn through on the tyre when turning. Fitted a new sensor, re-routed the cable, all good 👍

Old 5th December 2023, 10:46   #7
lionatus
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

I'm going to try and get TOAF on the laptop they have. Made them a USB stick especially. Now that the self-test works as it should we might get somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Anyone nearby with Toaf? You’re not that far from Newcastle where a famous ex-wizard lives.

I had a visitor here yesterday from the nearby town of Uppsala (an hour’s drive) with an ABS fault, not too chilly only minus 12c but as we were outdoors I ran Toaf rather than my T4 (this morning is cold though - minus 22c). The initial scan showed faults on both front left & front right, but the speedometer was working (never used the cruise). Faults cleared and then a 100m test drive, on return re-scanned and only front left came back.

If your speedometer/cruise control are working then you can discount both front wheels. Grinding, low speed activation usually indicate rear wheel faults often caused by brake shield rust flakes on the magnetic strip.

Good luck
Old 6th December 2023, 16:38   #8
OddSox
Gets stuck in

2002. Rover 75 saloon club se. 1.8 vvc. Moonstone green.

I had a similar problem on my car.

The ABS sensors do not last forever.

Being the kind of bloke i am i took one apart to find out what can go wrong with them.

All it is, is two wires going to a metal strip housed in plastic.

I think it works by magnetic impulses.

I couldn't find any fault with it or the wiring.

Fitting a new one solved the problem but i am still none the wiser for my efforts.!
Old 13th December 2023, 11:32   #9
lionatus
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

Well new abs sensor on the front and checked the rear connectors and cleaned them up. SO TOAF showing only front sensor fault? its brand new? Am now wondering about resistance and if I have the wires the correct way around. Anyone know which is which. Someones done work in the past and the wiring is all taped up so I only see the end. I also don't know if resistance, length of wire, will make a difference.

So does anyone know what the wires are meant to read/be? Am assuming power and earth but voltages? Will spade connectors make a difference?

Many thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddSox View Post
I had a similar problem on my car.

The ABS sensors do not last forever.

Being the kind of bloke i am i took one apart to find out what can go wrong with them.

All it is, is two wires going to a metal strip housed in plastic.

I think it works by magnetic impulses.

I couldn't find any fault with it or the wiring.

Fitting a new one solved the problem but i am still none the wiser for my efforts.!
Old 13th December 2023, 11:45   #10
lionatus
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

With the new sensor and and the errors clearing. I tested the wiring and it seems to be the right way round, power on the black stripe. ABS lights on all the time now. ABS modulator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post