Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd July 2020, 12:50   #1
vilas66
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, CDTi Tourer, Saloon

Default V6 interest but...

Hello friends.
I'm interested in a very low mileage v6. I do own a couple of CDTi's at the moment so no experience on v6 engines.
I am aware that timing belts is the v6 waekness that needs to be changed at leat every 6 years. Question is: any chance to view or see if timing belts were changed in the past ?
Thx. Canio
Old 22nd July 2020, 14:03   #2
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilas66 View Post
I am aware that timing belts is the v6 waekness that needs to be changed at least every 6 years. Question is: any chance to view or see if timing belts were changed in the past ?
Hello Canio,

Actually the weaknesses of the V6 are the 'O' rings on the plastic coolant components in the 'V', the VIS actuators and flaps plus the crankcase breather system which allows oil into the throttle body.

The belts cannot be seen without a great deal of dismantling so the service history has to be reliable. I'm sending you a PM about this.

Simon
Old 22nd July 2020, 14:34   #3
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

The belts, the water pump, the belt tensioner should be changed, if you want to keep the car. Unless you are certain it has been done, it is always going to be an unknown. The car is not hard on the belts, but a visual inspection is not easy, and might not be conclusive.
The failings on the V6 are few, but they are there. The inlet manifold will start rattling at about 125000 km (give or take). Makes the car sound like a diesel, but causes no or little harm. Only cure is replacement or removal of flaps..
The electric circuit boards on the Variable Inlet System (VIS) tend to burn a track, and the motor stops working. Normally fairly easy to fix.
The two metal water pipes and the oil/water cooler (if you have it) are susceptible to leakage. Replace or remove.
The radiator, like many modern radiators, tend to leak where aluminium meets plastic.
The radiator cap gets tired, just replace. The expansion box tend to fail after 15 years.
The plastic thermostat parts are unreliable, especially in a hot climate. The modern replacement from China is not any good.! - at all!
The automatic gearbox will love a fluid change!
The manual gearbox will give problems with the hydraulics.
Interior plastic bits start to fail for lights, and the roof lining will start to sag.
the engine is very dirty inside, normally, and it will be a good idea to fill with Diesel engine oil, which has a lot more cleaning agents, to remove carbon and oil deposits.
The V6 is not fast and it has not got a lot of torque, but it sounds nice and goes well apart from that. It is not frugal, like a Diesel, but it has other qualities, and should be silky smooth.
If you can live with the power delivery, it is a lovely car.!

Edit!
Ha ha. I see you have a SD1 2000!! If you have kept that, don't worry. the V6 is faster than that, - just!

Last edited by kaiser; 22nd July 2020 at 14:38..
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2020, 15:04   #4
vilas66
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, CDTi Tourer, Saloon

Talking

:d:d
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
the belts, the water pump, the belt tensioner should be changed, if you want to keep the car. Unless you are certain it has been done, it is always going to be an unknown. The car is not hard on the belts, but a visual inspection is not easy, and might not be conclusive.
The failings on the v6 are few, but they are there. The inlet manifold will start rattling at about 125000 km (give or take). Makes the car sound like a diesel, but causes no or little harm. Only cure is replacement or removal of flaps..
The electric circuit boards on the variable inlet system (vis) tend to burn a track, and the motor stops working. Normally fairly easy to fix.
The two metal water pipes and the oil/water cooler (if you have it) are susceptible to leakage. Replace or remove.
The radiator, like many modern radiators, tend to leak where aluminium meets plastic.
The radiator cap gets tired, just replace. The expansion box tend to fail after 15 years.
The plastic thermostat parts are unreliable, especially in a hot climate. The modern replacement from china is not any good.! - at all!
The automatic gearbox will love a fluid change!
The manual gearbox will give problems with the hydraulics.
Interior plastic bits start to fail for lights, and the roof lining will start to sag.
The engine is very dirty inside, normally, and it will be a good idea to fill with diesel engine oil, which has a lot more cleaning agents, to remove carbon and oil deposits.
The v6 is not fast and it has not got a lot of torque, but it sounds nice and goes well apart from that. It is not frugal, like a diesel, but it has other qualities, and should be silky smooth.
If you can live with the power delivery, it is a lovely car.!

Edit!
Ha ha. I see you have a sd1 2000!! If you have kept that, don't worry. The v6 is faster than that, - just!:d
Thank You !
Old 28th July 2020, 13:02   #5
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Kaiser, "the engine is very dirty inside" Question : I take that as a general observation, an MGR none optional extra!- I have noticed my oil is dirty quickly after an oil change and it irritated a bit, people talk of their nice shiny engines. Chris S.
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2020, 13:41   #6
kaiser
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
Kaiser, "the engine is very dirty inside" Question : I take that as a general observation, an MGR none optional extra!- I have noticed my oil is dirty quickly after an oil change and it irritated a bit, people talk of their nice shiny engines. Chris S.
I think it is an engine dependent thing. Look under the oil filler cap, and look inside the engine. Compared to my Jaguars, it is like chalk and cheese!
The V6 rover gets very dirty inside. The Jaguar V6, and the V8 are squeaky clean by comparison. There is also oil lying all over the show in the inlet manifold and throttle body on our V6. It is a poorly designed engine from that perspective, I don't know why, but it is.
Old 28th July 2020, 14:24   #7
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
I think it is an engine dependent thing. Look under the oil filler cap, and look inside the engine. Compared to my Jaguars, it is like chalk and cheese!
The V6 rover gets very dirty inside. The Jaguar V6, and the V8 are squeaky clean by comparison. There is also oil lying all over the show in the inlet manifold and throttle body on our V6. It is a poorly designed engine from that perspective, I don't know why, but it is.
Agree . This is something that has irritated me for many years ! My oil gets changed frequently and the breather system has all been rebuilt , and the engine flushed in the past , but even after a short time the oil is jet black on the dipstick
Old 28th July 2020, 15:28   #8
kaiser
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Agree . This is something that has irritated me for many years ! My oil gets changed frequently and the breather system has all been rebuilt , and the engine flushed in the past , but even after a short time the oil is jet black on the dipstick
How refreshing!!
No argument then?

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hwqn9