Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th January 2015, 06:05   #1
Yella Fella
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

None at the moment

Thanked 1,094 Times in 666 Posts
Default I was never told this when learning

I was watching the telly the other night about ways to save fuel. An advanced driver instructor said it was ok to change up gears "in block" eg from 3rd to 5th.
I was always told to increase speed smoothly through the gear box.

He also said To stop in what ever gear you are in and not come down the gears into the correct gear for the speed you are doing.
I always reduce my speed and slip into the correct gear for that speed.

I'm thinking it wouldn't be good for the engine or gearbox to go from 3rd to 5th etc.
Old 18th January 2015, 06:29   #2
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

There lay the difference between those who can drive, and the new generation of drivers who are taught incorrectly or have a bad attitude in general.
I learned very early as I was always fascinated by cars, always watching my dad using pedals steering mirrors and all the switchgear. As a boy it seemed a very intensive set of activities, but very often whatched my dear Dad really enjoying driving!
The skills base now seems totally opposite to me, Lack of signalling drives me nuts! If the indicator switch is too hard to operate, can we assume looking in a mirror wont happen due to more muscles and eyes are needed for such operation by comparison? My driving is believed to be ok according to my passengers which include PhilT-4 amongst others, we don't do loads of miles together, but we meet and I drive us to a number of destinations with no white knuckles on Phil's hands, I guess I must be of an old school education, but with humour added to make things fun!
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 06:54   #3
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

We have a safe driving course at work which I recently attended as I drive over 35.000 miles per year.

Part of this is to teach us "block changing" all drivers are taught this as a standard now. Particularly when changing down, stay in a high gear until the last possible moment and then drop to the appropriate gear for the speed once accelerating again.

6 to 4 to 2 is not unusual. Seems strange but it is what is taught now.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 06:57   #4
steveo
I really should get out more.......

None

Default Cpc

Hi all
Cpc also teaches block changing
Regards
Steve
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 07:27   #5
octopush
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

So how do you do that with a auto box then if this is the Wright way to drive now.

My 2004 MG ZT T 2.0 CDTi 135+ Auto

http://octopush.awardspace.com/index.htm

www.gbuwh.co.uk/
octopush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 07:36   #6
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopush View Post
So how do you do that with a auto box then if this is the Wright way to drive now.
When mine kicks down it can drop two, sometimes three gears

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2015, 22:35   #7
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopush View Post
Basically with a modern auto box it's the same as a manual, lift your foot when it's time to change gear and see on rev counter how much it drops.
If you want a sporty getaway you get sequential gear change, sedate driving produces the auto equivalent of block changing.

I started driving 48 years ago with a 4 speed manual box, when I got my first 5 speed I realised if 2nd could reach 35 and 4th could pull from 25, 2nd to 4th was logical, likewise, 3rd to 5th.

My first auto was three speed but when I got my first 5 speed auto, I realised how you use your right foot could replicate block changing.

Happy to give a demo to anyone interested, in the meantime I say, as always, get to know your car and it's capabilities.
alanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 11:03   #8
Houzi
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

I passed my test in 1978.Like many here was taught to use engine braking to slow down.In emergency stop,again use engine braking staying in gear and pushing in the clutch at the last moment,and indicating for every movement or turn to the left or right.
Today I still use engine braking in emergency stop,can't break the habit,though I believe you're taught to push brake&clutch simultaniously these days.To me it helps prevent locking the wheels up.Only had ABS cars for the last 8 years and have only heard it come in a couple of times on hard packed snow.I couldn't even tell you if the ABS works on my Rover yet.However with ABS(have all cars got it now?)I think it's probably counter productive.
Thinking about I don't drop down the gears to slow to a stop so much these day...depends what's happening in front of me.I'll slow it down to near idle speed then use clutch.Sure if it's moving traffic,go up&down gears as required but when coming up to lights I believe you are in control,you've got your foot on the brake,it's not going anywhere,it's not an emergency situation. I also agree it should wear the clutch less though It's never occured to me.Maybe wears the pads more but the cars can handle this as autos don't have engine braking.The only time I went down gears in autos was when on a hill.
I still indicate when necessary though I agree you shouldn't fail a test if not indicating if there's no need to(ie no other traffic)I often indicate when turning into a side road for pedestrian's benefit,though not legally necessary it stops them walking across the road in front of me.I admit to 'block changing'...I seldom use 2nd gear when changing up but that's about it.My driving style's not perfect but I think basically, just use your eyes and don't rely on the mirrors.I've avoided countless accidents but never caused any
Houzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 22:46   #9
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houzi View Post
I passed my test in 1978.Like many here was taught to use engine braking to slow down.In emergency stop,again use engine braking staying in gear and pushing in the clutch at the last moment,and indicating for every movement or turn to the left or right.
I go against the advanced method, in that I always indicate too. There idea is that it makes sure you do check whether or not you need to indicate - that you do look and see. My argument is that I do ALWAYS look and DO always see. Then whether my observation suggests I need to or not, I indicate, on the extreme chance that I might possibly have missed something. Its is alien to me, not to indicate.

The emergency stop has always been press both clutch and brake as hard as possible, ignoring changing gears. So I disagree with you on that point.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 11:31   #10
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Always have and always will go down a hill in the "correct" gear using the engine braking. Yes complete brake failure is uncommon now days, but it only takes once.

I had to be certified to drive a school bus a while back and I did double declutch and use engine braking. I was told that my driving style was aggressive but I was always in control and thereby a safe driver.

The amount of cars and trucks going down a slow steep hill with their brake lights permanently on, is terrifying at times.
Go down a incline the same speed that you would go up it, used to be the golden rule.

As for not using indicators-I know I have a BMW engine, BUT....
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote