Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st January 2009, 21:11   #1
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

Default Blue lighting project

I've created this thread to document my progress in converting my instrumentation to blue backlighting. As you may know, I have already converted my climate control unit, documented here :

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=30434

I am now looking at the other items which I wish to convert :

Odometer display
Message Centre display
Lighting Switch unit
Front window switches (x2)
Rear window switches (x2)
Auto gear selector indicator
Economy/Sports/Winter gearbox setting switch
Cigarette lighter illumination

I think that covers most, if not all of them.

Tonight I converted a passenger side window switch unit - very simple, the unit dismantles easily as it's only clipped together, and there is a single red SMT LED to replace. I'm assuming that the other window switches will be similarly straightforward. (Note that the red LEDs which are integral to the mirror selection switch and the rear window locking switch will not be changed.)

I also dismantled an old speedo unit (IPK) with message centre. This is going to be a bit more tricky! Care is needed when dismantling as the needles need to be removed. The great news is that the odometer conversion will be fairly straightforward - there are ten orange SMT LEDs to replace with blue ones. The diffuser is white, so no need to change that.

The message centre is harder to convert - not only are there 24 SMT LEDs to replace, but they are bicolour LEDs (red/orange) and they need to be replaced by bicolour red/blue ones. The problem is that these have four contacts rather than the standard 2 on a regular SMT LED... and as these things measure just 2.8mm x 3.2mm, this means some VERY detailed soldering! Bear in mind also that you can't do this on a spare IPK and then swap them over - you have to remove the IPK from your car, do the work and reinstall it. So if I screw it up, it's gonna be expensive - I would have to buy a new IPK and get it set up on T4. Total of £150+... Not good! But hey, what the hell... you only live once. I'm gonna give it a try over a weekend... I sourced and ordered the bicolour SMT LEDs tonight. I'll definitely be practicing my soldering on the old IPK I have first though!

The other parts I will get to in due course. For most of them I will get a spare item to convert then swap them over (the exception being the lighting switch unit, as like the IPK I need to convert the original unit.)

I will update this thread as progress continues!

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 160 (sadly now gone!)
2015 BMW 435d GranCoupe XDrive
calibrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 23:38   #2
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

Some pics of the LEDs which are to be replaced for the Odometer and Message Centre conversions...

Old 25th January 2009, 09:53   #3
mantianak
I really should get out more.......

ZT 190+ Saloon

Good work so far. When I get my ZT back I'll be doing the same but with white LED's (I have white dials not blue). You've saved me the effort of counting the LED's Just a shame the white LED's are more expensive than the blue ones.

Good luck on finishing it, post some pics up after too.
mantianak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 09:55   #4
clockwork.satan
Regular poster

MG ZT+ cdti

Wow. I'm loving the blue displays!
clockwork.satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 11:28   #5
NOCTURNAL
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-260SE

Definately interested in the bicolour led's as I could only find them stateside or Hongkong, and they wanted too much for small supply

Do you have the details? specs?source Please

I've blued everything else a year ago apart from the maessage screen so its gagging to be done

Nick
NOCTURNAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 13:20   #6
mantianak

ZT 190+ Saloon

Is this the right LED?
Old 25th January 2009, 13:22   #7
mantianak

ZT 190+ Saloon

Just realised that's red green. It'll look interesting if fitted
Old 25th January 2009, 14:16   #8
NOCTURNAL
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-260SE

To be honest when I say I couldnt source them at a reasonable price... I found some that were Osram, and then only used that model number to find them, 'other' makes are quite probably out there, I just got blinkered into looking down only one ally LOL, so it would be sweet if callibrax has sourced some.

It is a daunting prospect, as it's certainly not for the feint hearted and to that end I have allready purchased a spare set of clocks, just hope I wont need em
NOCTURNAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2009, 15:36   #9
mantianak

ZT 190+ Saloon

I did some searching and found some blue/yellow ones and some blue/red. I think blue/white would be ideal as I doubt there are several tones of blue available.
Old 25th January 2009, 16:45   #10
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOCTURNAL View Post
Definately interested in the bicolour led's as I could only find them stateside or Hongkong, and they wanted too much for small supply

Do you have the details? specs?source Please

I've blued everything else a year ago apart from the maessage screen so its gagging to be done

Nick
These are the ones I found... still have to test them to make sure that they will work correctly, problem being that I don't know the spec of the original ones... Im concerned that the blue may not be bright enough. Having said that, with the message centre the orange is actually too bright (you can tell, as the whole screen glows orange), so they may be just fine.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...uct&R=496-6594

(note - ignore the picture on that page, its a tricolour LED. The actual part looks identical to the last photo in my post above. I bought 35 of them )

EDIT: I have an old dismantled speedo unit, and I've just swapped over one of the bicolour LEDs for a red/blue one, ready for testing on the car. If it works and looks ok, then I'll do my conversion next weekend.

Last edited by calibrax; 25th January 2009 at 17:15..