Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th November 2019, 11:28   #1
solarsailor
Posted a thing or two

75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

Default Dash Cam

After an incident my son had a few days ago I'm considering getting him a dash cam for his birthday next month. I don't want to spend a fortune so I've been looking around on ebay and there are lots available in the £20 - £30 range which look suitable, this being one example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-HD-1080...243570a11bb493

I'd be grateful if any members who have bought something similar could share opinions and/or make recommendations on any particular make and model based on their experiences.

Cheers

Andrew

This vehicle was born on Wednesday June 4th 2003 @ 08:24:38
This vehicle was the 73,905th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 1,862nd 75 1.8 T Club SE to be made out of 3,980
This vehicle was the 6,856th 75 in Wedgewood Blue to be made out of 7,515 Wedgewood Blue 75s
solarsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 12:30   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I have a Nextbase 512GW. Video quality is not as good as my Go Pro but the Go Pro is a lot more expensive.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 12:32   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarsailor View Post
After an incident my son had a few days ago I'm considering getting him a dash cam for his birthday next month. I don't want to spend a fortune so I've been looking around on ebay and there are lots available in the £20 - £30 range which look suitable, this being one example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-HD-1080...243570a11bb493

I'd be grateful if any members who have bought something similar could share opinions and/or make recommendations on any particular make and model based on their experiences.

Cheers

Andrew

This does not seem to record speed or sound and I would question night vision.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 13:34   #4
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

I'm just about to get rid of one , streetwise basic.
Doesn't record speed or anything but works ok
Doesn't record on a loop so you have to wipe the memory card(not supplied) when full.
Yours for postage if you want it

Stan
Old 15th November 2019, 17:05   #5
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I have two Nextbase camera’s. One in the front and one in the back screen. Had them a few years now, and they are wi-fi, record speed, the exact spot you are at by virtue of latitude and longitude points. If you set it to ‘ movement’ it will start up if anyone gives your car a dent. Another thing which is useful is that when you pause the camera when on playback you can read the numberplate quite easy. Although a bit dearer than a lot of the ‘cheaper’ ones, they are much better and their service centre is also very good. The battery on one packed up about two years ago, I got in touch with them, and a new battery was at my house within two days. Excellent service.
Old 15th November 2019, 17:43   #6
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
I have two Nextbase camera’s. One in the front and one in the back screen. Had them a few years now, and they are wi-fi, record speed, the exact spot you are at by virtue of latitude and longitude points. If you set it to ‘ movement’ it will start up if anyone gives your car a dent. Another thing which is useful is that when you pause the camera when on playback you can read the numberplate quite easy. Although a bit dearer than a lot of the ‘cheaper’ ones, they are much better and their service centre is also very good. The battery on one packed up about two years ago, I got in touch with them, and a new battery was at my house within two days. Excellent service.
I'd Echo that, their base is in Caerphilly, I popped up there to see if they could help me with my Nextbase 412. It had started playing up battery wise after about 6 months and I also had a problem with replaying action on my computer.

Rather stupidly I had left it until it was almost a year out of warranty to contact them and did so just on the off chance that they would take my word that the camera had started playing up whilst in warranty. Thats when I found out that they were just up the road.

They invited me up to their works, stripped the unit down soldered a new uprated battery in, explained that some of the memory cards on sale, especially at Halfords were dodgy, inserted one of their own cards.

No charge. I was pretty pleased given that I'd been so stupid as to let the warranty run out before contacting them.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 18:17   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I have a Nextbase 512GW. Video quality is not as good as my Go Pro but the Go Pro is a lot more expensive.

macafee2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
I'd Echo that, their base is in Caerphilly, I popped up there to see if they could help me with my Nextbase 412. It had started playing up battery wise after about 6 months and I also had a problem with replaying action on my computer.

Rather stupidly I had left it until it was almost a year out of warranty to contact them and did so just on the off chance that they would take my word that the camera had started playing up whilst in warranty. Thats when I found out that they were just up the road.

They invited me up to their works, stripped the unit down soldered a new uprated battery in, explained that some of the memory cards on sale, especially at Halfords were dodgy, inserted one of their own cards.

No charge. I was pretty pleased given that I'd been so stupid as to let the warranty run out before contacting them.

It's about the base
https://youtu.be/7PCkvCPvDXk

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 19:04   #8
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

I have the 412. It's impressive.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 23:20   #9
solarsailor
Posted a thing or two

75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
I'm just about to get rid of one , streetwise basic.
Doesn't record speed or anything but works ok
Doesn't record on a loop so you have to wipe the memory card(not supplied) when full.
Yours for postage if you want it

Stan
That's very kind, PM sent.

This vehicle was born on Wednesday June 4th 2003 @ 08:24:38
This vehicle was the 73,905th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 1,862nd 75 1.8 T Club SE to be made out of 3,980
This vehicle was the 6,856th 75 in Wedgewood Blue to be made out of 7,515 Wedgewood Blue 75s
solarsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2019, 08:12   #10
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarsailor View Post

Cheers

Andrew
I looked at the deal you linked and it offers the camera in gold or black. Go for a black version to reduce reflections from the camera, a minor consideration. I bought a cheap dash cam with image stability called a C11 for £25 for the Rover 75 in the UK, it is fairly basic but works every time.

For Kenya, I wanted a front and rear camera which could cope with the high temperatures in the bush of 40+C and bought a camera front and rear with a super capacitor instead of using a Lithium battery. I wanted image stability because of having to drive on bad roads and off-roading in my 4x4, a choice of full HD or higher resolution, WiFi, GPS, storage up to 128GB, etc, I had to pay more than £25, but I am happy. I joined a dash cam forum called dash cam talk https://dashcamtalk.com and found them to be helpful
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote