Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th July 2018, 14:57   #1
75Connie
Gets stuck in

R75 Connoisseur CDT (116PS) Saloon Auto; R75 Connoisseur CDT (116PS) Tourer Manual

Default 75 CDT Diagnostics Options - Up to Date position

As of July 2018, what are the current viable options for R75 diagnostics / updates in EU?

As I understand it, this is a summary of what's available as at July 2018:

1. Full T4: Original Rover approved system that is available for drive - in diagnostic/option setting from a number of folks who have the required machinery. Post-in repair/re-config service available from some T4 operators where drive-in is not possible. This is considered to be the Rolls Royce of R75 diagnostic systems. Used systems seem to cost in the £2,000 - £3,000 range.

2. Virtual T4. This 'Son of T4' seems to do most/all of what T4 diagnostics can do for R75/ZT. It works on Windows XP. No longer available.

3. TOAF: An independent software development that deals with diagnostics of many/most R75 control units as well as configuration is some of those units. It uses a cheap VAG link from a laptop to OBD connector to connect to the vehicle. Software is free. Further services such as key fob programming were available as chargeable services. Some use TOAF successfully, others wary of it. Dialog with developers appears limited and there is little sign of development /update.

4. p-Scan: provides R75 diagnostics for a number of elements of R75 electronics, as well as for other vehicles. Is still being developed, but recent developments don't seem to be focused on 75/ZT.

5. ELM 327 readers of OBD codes: these appear to be limited to the data elements associated with emissions etc defined under OBD standards. Mixed access to R75/ZT from 2002 and earlier CDTs. Apps such as Torque Pro on Android are used to present data.

So, for general management of my R75 CDTs, as options 1 and 2 are not available to me, and I already use option 5, can you comment on which of the options 3 and 4 you use and how's it working out for you?

Also, are there other options I may be missing/not aware of?

Thanks in advance.
75Connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2018, 15:14   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

You can still buy secondhand laptops wiith Windows XP on them, so don't rule option 2 out.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2018, 15:22   #3
75Connie
Gets stuck in

R75 Connoisseur CDT (116PS) Saloon Auto; R75 Connoisseur CDT (116PS) Tourer Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
You can still buy secondhand laptops wiith Windows XP on them, so don't rule option 2 out.
I have XP laptops. I'm afraid my IT stuff is still living in the mid- noughties..

I'm told the VT4 system is no longer available.
Old 10th July 2018, 18:11   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Connie View Post
I have XP laptops. I'm afraid my IT stuff is still living in the mid- noughties..

I'm told the VT4 system is no longer available.
Is this direct from Phil? I would have thought he could sort that for you Tom

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2018, 18:15   #5
75Connie
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Is this direct from Phil? I would have thought he could sort that for you Tom

Brian
Hi Brian. Hope you're keeping well.

Yes, I got that from Phil himself.

Tom
Old 10th July 2018, 18:26   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Hi Brian. Hope you're keeping well.

Yes, I got that from Phil himself.

Tom
Hi Tom, yes I'm fairly well thanks, a shame to hear Phil has discontinued VT4, and I hope it's not related to his recent health issues

TOAF is a reasonable stab, flawed in places, but certainly good enough to diagnose most problems, and it'll run on your XP laptop with a cheap lead like THIS

Pins 7 and 8 of the diagnostic lead need to be bridged in order that the software can work.

The download page can be found HERE

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2018, 18:12   #7
75Connie
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Hi Tom, yes I'm fairly well thanks, a shame to hear Phil has discontinued VT4, and I hope it's not related to his recent health issues

TOAF is a reasonable stab, flawed in places, but certainly good enough to diagnose most problems, and it'll run on your XP laptop with a cheap lead like THIS

Pins 7 and 8 of the diagnostic lead need to be bridged in order that the software can work.

The download page can be found HERE

Brian

Thanks Brian. Very helpful as usual.

I've ordered a cable and I'll take a good look at TOAF. I've seen the warnings about being careful, so I'll be circumspect in its usage.

It's is a pity that VT4 is no longer a runner as our 75s become ever more elderly with associate bumps and murmers. I hope Phil is well also. His contributions, like your own, have always been very informative and helpful on here.

Tom

Last edited by 75Connie; 11th July 2018 at 21:29..
Old 13th July 2018, 14:29   #8
Den
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
As of July 2018, what are the current viable options for R75 diagnostics / updates in EU?

As I understand it, this is a summary of what's available as at July 2018:

1. Full T4: Original Rover approved system that is available for drive - in diagnostic/option setting from a number of folks who have the required machinery. Post-in repair/re-config service available from some T4 operators where drive-in is not possible. This is considered to be the Rolls Royce of R75 diagnostic systems. Used systems seem to cost in the £2,000 - £3,000 range.

2. Virtual T4. This 'Son of T4' seems to do most/all of what T4 diagnostics can do for R75/ZT. It works on Windows XP. No longer available.

3. TOAF: An independent software development that deals with diagnostics of many/most R75 control units as well as configuration is some of those units. It uses a cheap VAG link from a laptop to OBD connector to connect to the vehicle. Software is free. Further services such as key fob programming were available as chargeable services. Some use TOAF successfully, others wary of it. Dialog with developers appears limited and there is little sign of development /update.

4. p-Scan: provides R75 diagnostics for a number of elements of R75 electronics, as well as for other vehicles. Is still being developed, but recent developments don't seem to be focused on 75/ZT.

5. ELM 327 readers of OBD codes: these appear to be limited to the data elements associated with emissions etc defined under OBD standards. Mixed access to R75/ZT from 2002 and earlier CDTs. Apps such as Torque Pro on Android are used to present data.

So, for general management of my R75 CDTs, as options 1 and 2 are not available to me, and I already use option 5, can you comment on which of the options 3 and 4 you use and how's it working out for you?

Also, are there other options I may be missing/not aware of?

Thanks in advance.
I use option 3 - TOAF running on Windows 7 64 bit (also works on 32 bit). I used it to trace a ATC fault I had for 4 months. ATC would not function in AUTO, only in manual. TOAF revealed that the ATC could not be scanned, hence, the problem was network. Using RAVE I traced the fault to a single connection between the BCU and the ATC. I cleaned this connection and the problem was resolved.
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2018, 16:21   #9
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post

Easy to have XP working within a virtual machine.... (e.g. vmware)

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2018, 16:26   #10
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Easy to have XP working within a virtual machine.... (e.g. vmware)
Needs to be a particular processor speed and memory plus have external coms... not sure if VM will do that...

I had a Vt4 for a while and Phil specified a very particular setup to work with the system...