Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th April 2016, 15:05   #1
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts
Default Mega dilemma

Hi guys

I'm at a bit of a cross roads as to what to do here with my 75.

I have owned her since May last year. MK1 Connie SE Spec with all the toys, almost 200k on the clock. Car has been driving fine, even better since new wheels were fitted and tracking was done. Drives like a different car now.

I have spent a lot of money on this car. Most of it was optional to get the car the way I want it.

Maintance wise, the following has been done. All parts bought new, bar the odd bit here and there that needed replacing such as trim etc so have spent a fortune and on labour work also:

Pollen filter changed
Oil and filter changed
PCV filter changed
Air filter changed
Fuel filter changed
Rear lights sealed
Drop links changed
Plenum cleaned
Jules Plenum guard fitted
Front wheels balanced
Indicator stalk changed as old one was worn
Illuminate Passenger side sun visor changed as the flip case broke
Replacement jacking pads fitted all round as some were missing
Bonnet switch repaired due to water causing alarm to go off
Upgraded SFS intercooler hose fitted
EGR bypass fitted
Replaced dash heater vents as previous one wasn't adjusting properly
Jules gold resistor fitted to fix fan issue and air con "woosh"
PAS fluid changed
Lower engine mount changed
Both front wishbones changed
Air conditioning belt changed
Auxiliary belt changed
New eBay "Hardridden" number plates fitted with Rover & club logos
New genuine rear Rover rear plinth badge changed
New Union Jack rear badge fitted
T4 health check done - 160bhp upgrade
Daytime running lights activated
Windows open and close via key
Digital Mph clock activated on trip computer
Auto lock activated when driving 5mph
New front Bosch wiper blades fitted
Osram night breaker head light bulbs fitted
DMGRS clutch master cylinder fitted as standard one was leaking
New DOT 4 clutch fluid changed
15" Crown alloys fitted all round (Comet alloys are buckled)

As you can, see quite a lot and this is not including the "extras" that I have added to the car. These are:

PPD Walnut dash fitted
PPD Walnut steering wheel fitted
PPD Walnut handbrake fitted
Drivers side cup holder fitted
PPD drivers side grab handle fitted
PPD interior cigarette lighter fitted
Audio upgrade - Navall 3 fitted to replace standard poverty spec unit
Focal 2 way components fitted to front
Focal rear coaxial speakers fitted
Alpine 4 channel amp to power speakers
Alpine 10" sub in custom ported enclosure in boot
JBL mono amp to power subwoofer
Upgraded speaker cables
Walnut colour surround fitted to Navall 3
New genuine Rover premium sandstone mats fitted
MG black power wash cap fitted to replace standard yellow one

I also have many other extras to be fitted such as embossed head rests, croft door finishers, power folds, rare genuine luggage nets, PPD carpet etc.

The problem that I now have is:

1. I want a Tourer. I was planning to keep this also. I wanted a Tourer as it is easier for me to carry my camera gear around as I have a lot of stuff and although the saloon is reasonable for space etc, the Tourer is perfect for me. My mother surprised me and kindly gave me some money to purchase a Tourer which I have now done. On top of that, my mum now knows all the problems I am having with this car and wants me to sell it ASAP. She even said, she wants it off the drive I also don't collect the Tourer for another few weeks yet.

I'm in a position where all the recent work on the car has set me back financially and really screwed me over. I don't have many savings due to investing in shares which I don't get access to for some time yet.

But in the last couple of months, I'm encountering issues with my saloon. As I said, the plan was to keep both but the cost is really mounting up on the saloon and I'm unsure what to do.

My master clutch cylinder went recently so I had to get that sorted and then rigght after my slave went which is going to set me back a further £450 or so. On top of that, the car still needs a bit of work and MOT is coming up and it has failed on several things on the pre-check. This includes: new back box, rear spring steering rack gaitor, then pay for the MOT and labour on top as well as the slave cylinder!

On top of this, one of the sills and quarter needs repairing and sprayed due to a bump with a curb I had last year. I have spent roughly around £1500-£2000 on the car, not including the extras.

I do love this car, but I think maybe it is time to draw the line...?

I have spoke to a couple of friends here from the forum for advise. Sound advise given, but I am still unable to come to a decision.

What do you suggest?

Many thanks.
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 15:18   #2
Fifer
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE + 1947 Morris 8

You have spent a lot of time and money on the car to be thinking of selling it.

Would it be possible to rent a lock-up to store your saloon in the meantime, or even SORN it till your finances recover? Do you know anyone who has space for you to keep the car off-road in the meantime? That would keep your mother happy.

It's a tough one.

Fifer
Fifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 15:43   #3
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Thoughts

Well Rav, not an easy decision at all. I have told you my thoughts privately and I still believe that is the way to go.
Sometimes in lfe the head has to win over the heart and even if you do decide to get rud of her there are mountains of new bits that you can remove before selling. Given that you have a nice new project with a substantially smaller mileage on it arriving soon you need to 'watch the pennies' so to speak.

Not easy though
Phone if you want a chat
Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 15:53   #4
Ravinder
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifer View Post
You have spent a lot of time and money on the car to be thinking of selling it.

Would it be possible to rent a lock-up to store your saloon in the meantime, or even SORN it till your finances recover? Do you know anyone who has space for you to keep the car off-road in the meantime? That would keep your mother happy.

It's a tough one.

Fifer
Many thanks. I'm not in a position where I can afford a lockup. Funds are tight as they are and the parents are now doing my head in about getting rid of this car. I don't know anyone else that has the space to keep it. If it was just small bits and bobs it wouldn't be so bad, but the truth is it needs a fair bit more money spent on it yet, which I feel I cannot do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraeus View Post
Well Rav, not an easy decision at all. I have told you my thoughts privately and I still believe that is the way to go.
Sometimes in lfe the head has to win over the heart and even if you do decide to get rud of her there are mountains of new bits that you can remove before selling. Given that you have a nice new project with a substantially smaller mileage on it arriving soon you need to 'watch the pennies' so to speak.

Not easy though
Phone if you want a chat
Chris
Thanks Chris. Yes, not easy as you say.

I regret pouring so much money in it in the first place. I should of just spent what was needed at the time instead of spending extras on maintance that perhaps didn''t actually need done. I don't mean the optional extras because I know I can recoup my money this way, but the maintance side of things. I should of been a bit more sensible.
Old 14th April 2016, 15:59   #5
Scaramanga
I really should get out more.......

Firefrost 75 CDTi Conn SE manual Tourer

I understand your problem BUT you have invested quite a bit into it to get rid.

Sure she needs more work, but to lose it now means all that money already spent is wasted (unless someone else benefits ie sold to another enthusiast who will look after it).

If you cant bear to part with her then I think you should SORN it, then HIDE it from your mum

At some time in the future when your flush you can then sort out those issues and in the interim think of a really good excuse

A little tounge in cheek, but I wish you luck in whatever you decide!
3. Midnight Blue 2.5 V6 auto Saloon- 'The 5th Gear Car' - Now owned by another forum member
4. Firefrost CDTi manual Tourer
Lee

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Scaramanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 17:45   #6
Ravinder
This is my second home

I have nowhere to hide it unfortunately

It's a lot of money spent, I know, but I would be spending so much more. And if something else major goes wrong on it...where does it then end?

I'm struggling to get the funds together for the MOT, let alone all the work that still needs doing. I certainly won't be making any decisions lightly. Very nice car, but it's got it's problems.

Last edited by Ravinder; 14th April 2016 at 18:17..
Old 14th April 2016, 17:48   #7
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

I would concur with the others Rav, you have spent too much money on the car to see yet. Finish it off and run it for a bit to get your money worth of what you have spent,as you will never get back what you have spent on it in selling it.
Old 14th April 2016, 18:11   #8
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

Once you get your tourer swop over what you can. The maintenance stuff, forget, you would have had to do it anyway. Tge facts are you've bought a new car and you can't afford to keep both. Take what you can for your new car and sell the saloon to a fellow enthusiast who will look after your investment.
Old 14th April 2016, 18:20   #9
Ravinder
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
I would concur with the others Rav, you have spent too much money on the car to see yet. Finish it off and run it for a bit to get your money worth of what you have spent,as you will never get back what you have spent on it in selling it.

Thanks Rich. I hear what you're saying. The problem that I have is I effectively will have nowhere to keep it. I had a massive barmy with my
Mother this morning and I don't want the stress of that and them
Being constantly on my back about it. Funds are really tight right, also. Up until now, it's been heart over head when perhaps it should be the other way round.....even now, I'm still unsure
Old 14th April 2016, 18:24   #10
Si-monogram
Banned

MG ZTT TYPHOON 180, PPD 75 CDTI 160, METRO 1.3 A+, ABARTH TURISMO 595, MG ZS V6, 75 duotone tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady zed View Post
Once you get your tourer swop over what you can. The maintenance stuff, forget, you would have had to do it anyway. Tge facts are you've bought a new car and you can't afford to keep both. Take what you can for your new car and sell the saloon to a fellow enthusiast who will look after your investment.
Really good advice that. They are a labour of love these vehicles whatever marque you own but there is a time to draw the line and move on.

i'm sure an enthusiast would snap it up and get it in A1 health and continue using it.

failing that, i have tons of parking space if you want to donate it to a loving home
Si-monogram is offline   Reply With Quote