Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th November 2019, 11:21   #131
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Note to Mods: The following is a reply to current posts on this thread and refers to matters that might be better placed in Social. Transfer might be preferable!

There are activists with best intentions. There are evangelists with supreme but misguided faith. There are innocents prostituted by elders who should know better. Then there are the objective scientists with differing views.

Thought it might be useful to read eminent scientists and logical and well informed and respected philosophers as a much needed alternative opinion.

They only reach a limited audience so don't achieve much traction but doubters on both sides would benefit from a quick scan. Enjoy.

Principia Scientific International.com

Electroverse.net
Old 30th November 2019, 21:23   #132
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I agree with you, entirely. My hanging date is yet to be announced. I say s*# em. I have two cars now so I can speed up global change. I bet all these ‘global protesters never use any kind of transport, only their legs or cycles. Yea, right..
Old 30th November 2019, 21:30   #133
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

When the fossil fuel burning power stations of India, China & the USA start caring about the global warming situation.. So will I.
Old 1st December 2019, 07:00   #134
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Whilst renewing my VED, there was a button on the DVLA website to make a comparison on running costs between your car and a EV.

I chose to compare my diesel against a model 3 Tesla. Based on the mileage I do, I would save over £1300 a year on running costs.

But even at £1300 a year saving, it would still take some 20 plus years to recover the capital cost.

EV’s are a good idea and would seriously consider one when the purchase prices hit parity with existing IC models.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2019, 08:24   #135
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
Whilst renewing my VED, there was a button on the DVLA website to make a comparison on running costs between your car and a EV.

I chose to compare my diesel against a model 3 Tesla. Based on the mileage I do, I would save over £1300 a year on running costs.

But even at £1300 a year saving, it would still take some 20 plus years to recover the capital cost.

EV’s are a good idea and would seriously consider one when the purchase prices hit parity with existing IC models.
Do they take into account battery life and the cost of replacement Steve?

If not then that comparison is about as level as Mont Blanc.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2019, 09:04   #136
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Do they take into account battery life and the cost of replacement Steve?

If not then that comparison is about as level as Mont Blanc.
Pretty certain that battery life was not factored in as they assume that you will be buying a new vehicle every 3 to 5 years.

I think their figures are based entirely on VED and fuel saving costs.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2019, 14:37   #137
Rickoshea
Loves to post

Jaguar I Pace

Lots of early Tesla’s running around with over 500,000 miles on the original batteries. At the other end of the scale some early Leafs have needed new batteries at 50,000 miles. However those early Leafs were not using
Lithium Ion battery technology. In short I think modern batteries should outlast vehicles relying on bits of metal flying up and down by a huge margin.
Old 1st December 2019, 17:06   #138
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Well I've got over 400k miles and coming up for twenty years out of my up and down flying bits of metal - don't think the current battery technology could improve on that.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2019, 18:50   #139
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

While I have no statistical evidence, just my own experience, I suspect that the last generation of diesels before the introduction of DPFs and Adblu will prove to have been the most reliable IC engines ever. I remember talking to one of the mechanics at a local haulage company who used Peugeots fitted with the XUD engine as company cars saying that 400,000 miles was not uncommon for fully maintained and serviced company vehicles, as reported by the head of maintenance at the local dealership, - David Hayton. I suspect that apart from battery changes, steering, tyres, brakes and suspension, EVs will need very little maintenance and servicing over their lives, unless cynical manufacturers build in short service life parts to make sure you have to return to the dealership to spend money at intervals. It certainly won't be difficult to programme them to throw up a fault code which puts them into limp mode. Perhaps we'll get over the battery limitations by turning our motorways and trunk routes into giant Scalextric tracks, and reducing the need for large batteries.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2019, 19:06   #140
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Have to say that I'm getting close to giving up the Rover & buying a Nissan Leaf

Looked at the figures today. The Rover costs me around 22p/mile in fuel and has averaged almost £50 pm in maintenance (blummin cambelts). Tax is £265 pa

2017 Leaf from my local Nissan dealer about £11k with 6k on the clock. Fuel prices should be about 5p/mile, maintenance should be minimal, zero tax. The batteries are guaranteed for 100k but I'd expect range to reduce over time.

Currently 90% of my usage is just commuting 20 miles a day so a 100 mile range is no problem and in five years time if say the range had dropped to 80 miles it wouldn't be a problem. We could use the better half's Yaris for longer journeys if necessary.

So all in all, even with depreciation I'd be saving enough to make the small inconvenience worthwhile. Thankfully I could charge it up at home so to balance the inconvenience of having longer stops if I ever used it for longer runs, on most months I'd never have to "fill up" at a station at all.

Finally - because no post about cars is complete with a political comment - I'm keen to batten down the hatches financially as far as I possibly can. If that chump Johnson gets in and bangs us out of the EU (if he sticks to his word, which will be a first, we'll end up with no deal) our economy will be in deep poo for the foreseeable future. I'd be tempted to emigrate but when we lose our freedom of movement in Europe where could I go?
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote