Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th November 2019, 17:00   #1
admiralalcatraz
Avid contributor

2000 Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Club SE/ 2004 Rover 75 Contemporary T 1.8T / 2005/55 Rover 75 Classic T

Default Slightly worn?

First, I know it isn't a 75/ZT, but thought it interesting none the less. My job today was replacing a failed timing chain on a 2001 2.2 Vauxhall Astra. Removed the rocker cover for inspection and found a few very knackered cam lobes..... They had complained about a lack of power before the chain went 🤦🏾NAUGHTY WORD-♂️

Sent from my MAX 2 using Tapatalk
admiralalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2019, 17:18   #2
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Looks as though that had regular oil changes....................with the occasional handful of sand just to bulk it up. Or was it a chocolate cam?.
Old 27th November 2019, 17:32   #3
admiralalcatraz
Avid contributor

2000 Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Club SE/ 2004 Rover 75 Contemporary T 1.8T / 2005/55 Rover 75 Classic T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Looks as though that had regular oil changes....................with the occasional handful of sand just to bulk it up. Or was it a chocolate cam?.
That's what I thought, I thought it had been run low on oil but there isn't much heat stress on the lobes. But the sump was like a tar pit.

Old 27th November 2019, 17:50   #4
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralalcatraz View Post
That's what I thought, I thought it had been run low on oil but there isn't much heat stress on the lobes. But the sump was like a tar pit.

And people slate the K series

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2019, 18:44   #5
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Is that the one with the dodgy seal on the oil pickup that's been giving the Insignias a bad name? Seems to be worse on cold days when the seal contracts and the pump pulls air instead of oil.On the Insignias it pops up a fault code/light. Often happens intermittently until something runs dry and fails.
Old 27th November 2019, 19:07   #6
admiralalcatraz
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Is that the one with the dodgy seal on the oil pickup that's been giving the Insignias a bad name? Seems to be worse on cold days when the seal contracts and the pump pulls air instead of oil.On the Insignias it pops up a fault code/light. Often happens intermittently until something runs dry and fails.
I arent sure to be honest whether it is the same as a Insignia, this is a 2001 2.2 Z22SE Petrol. I found one of the chain guides in various pieces in the timing cover and the sump.
Old 27th November 2019, 20:07   #7
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post

I've been driving a 2019 Grandland X (had to take over driving duties for my Mother - Using her Car) I've been praising the wee 1.2 turbo engine - around 130 hp - I still prefer my K-Series

this week i've had a couple of intermittent Oil Warnings displayed on start-up - Low Pressure Warning and Low Oil Level Warning - these appeared at different times and both cleared after restarting the Car - Oil level is fine - I wonder if this could be something similar as you mention r.e the insignia affecting this Engine too

Don't mention the Seats

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2019, 21:56   #8
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Part of the problem could be that the service book has been stamped but was the service was actually done? I know of some instances on cars that do low annual mileage that the book has been stamped but the garage and in some cases the main dealer has not even checked the oil level.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2019, 09:15   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
I know of some instances on cars that do low annual mileage that the book has been stamped but the garage and in some cases the main dealer has not even checked the oil level.
Surely not Steve. It is insisted by some well-known members of this forum that such a suggestion amounts to blasphemy!

Simon
Old 28th November 2019, 09:56   #10
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Yes Simon, that happened to me many, many years ago on same make of car.

Swore blind they had done the job but could not account for the fact that the black paint on the drain plug was still intact, as was the paint on the rocker cover cork washer which they had "replaced" per the Invoice!!!!

The real give away was that the oil level was exactly the same as when I had left it there earlier that day and the car still parked exactly where I had left it.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote