Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th March 2019, 10:25   #51
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
With all that, you might as well have drained the oil in the conventional manner.

Hope all is okay now.
I realise that however I don't have ramps ( I know that I could buy some) and to be honest I don't fancy working on a car under ramps or axle stands because of safety fears and the taking off of the undertray etc lying on my back and copping for a face full of oil.

Perhaps once I get over this little lot in the future I might consider hiring one of those hydraulic ramp hire places for an hour or two. At the moment I don't really feel like trying to do it myself ever again anyway.

The other thing is that I live in a kind of openish courtyard affair and didn't want to risk oil sloshing all over the place as the sump plug gets removed staining the tarmac and having to deal with anything like that.

Of course I would prefer to take the sump plug out and just drain the oil out for a more comprehensive drain but given my past form would probably strip the plug or something after drenching the drive with oil.

The thing is in my own trade as a gas engineer I have always been extremely comfortable working on appliances and installations that if something unexpectedly goes wrong my experience knows exactly how to go about getting out of it having been in similar positions many times before over the years wheras I have watched newly qualified engineers almost collapse with sheer fright when something not expected has gone catastrophically wrong, simply because they do not have the experience of how to immediately put right the unexpected.

And the same to a certain extent holds true here.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 10:34   #52
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
HI Kevin.
I replied to your email, have you asked the garage if they have an endoscope they can take a look with through the dip stick tube into the sump, I personally think if as you say the cut on the tube is a perfect match to the one you did, there is a chance that your pump could have come from the factory with a shorter tube?

What are the chances of a tube being but or severed to the exact shape of your cut, if snagged when removing I would have through it would be a tear of the tube.

how about this product below ?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/20254402909...r=502599115066
Well I can't say that the angle of the cut is absolutely identical as my original it may be a touch longer at a less acute angle for all I know.

However it is still a bit fishy that the new suspected shortened hose has such a sharp edged perfectly angled cut and I agree with you it seems unlikely that such an occurrence has happened.

However it does still remain the case that my immediate thoughts were that the hose that came out looked shorter and the check on the box for the size of 1.2m confirmed what should have been backed up by the two chaps with identical pumps who have measured theirs and come to the same 1.2m measurement.

I've got one of those endoscope things ( From Lidls lol ) I'll have a go at popping it down and no doubt be giving you a shout shortly asking...........

'Anyone know how to get a Lidls endoscope out of the dipstick tube of a Rover 75?'.
Old 11th March 2019, 10:55   #53
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Right its OK call off the cavalry I've managed to put the endoscope down the dipstick tube and safely retrieve it and I can confirm that :-

It is very black down there.

Unfortunately ( or probably fortunately in my case ) the end of the endscope won't travel round the bend at the end of the dipstick tube.

So we'll have to wait until the Wednesday sump cover removal visual inspection for the next instalment.
Old 11th March 2019, 11:36   #54
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Well, at least the endoscope came out.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 12:01   #55
Synchromesh
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I have used a Pela on a 75 V6 and 75 diesel many times and never felt any resistance when removing the pipe. I can feel the pipe hit the bottom of the sump when I push it down. The Pela pipe is plastic but it has a helical steel liner that keeps the pipe straight. I am not familiar with your pump but if the pipe is plastic and it was coiled up in the box it may have taken up the same shape in the sump and snagged on something. I have tried the Pela on a Focus and a Corolla and the pipe snagged on something in their sumps and it was difficult to free it so I now only use the Pela on 75s.
Synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 16:24   #56
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

If the sump is removed it might be worth checking and deburring any suspect area, in particular the hole where the tube entered and failed to exit the sump. This has been a bit of an eye opener, a spring reinforced tube as per the Pela Pump might seem a better and safer solution. I wonder if it is possible to obtain one for use with those pumps that don't come with them. It has put me right off using mine for this purpose and I'm not sure that I would now have any degree of confidence in doing it on anything other than a sump with a straight and relatively bendless entry route.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 17:06   #57
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

At least you can get the sump off easily, on old rwd cars you had the front crossmember running under the sump!
Old 11th March 2019, 20:01   #58
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

I feel for you OP.

a FOOT of tube in the sump is not a good situation, thank god you didnt start it and have done the right thing for peace of mind.

I would however have taken off the dipstick tube before taking it down the garage, you might have got lucky and been able to see something, especially if you drained the oil using the sump plug, and have an endoscope for inspection. (amazing devices)

Still what is done is done, but I have to say I have never had this issue with a Genuine Pela, and I have used that countless times on many different cars.

WHen using these, you should only slide in until you feel it hit the bottom of the sump, and not force anything. Cutting the end wont really make any difference to the oil pickup, as you have no idea quite what angle it is actually hitting the bottom of the sump. It is very unlikely to be touching it square on.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2019, 06:41   #59
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

And the lesson today children...

It's a whole lot easier to drain the oil through the sump plug....
Old 12th March 2019, 08:44   #60
Ken Lion
Gets stuck in

R75 2.0 CDT Club SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
And the lesson today children...

It's a whole lot easier to drain the oil through the sump plug....
Maybe you are on a wind-up and I know this has been debated several times on here but I'd have to disagree completely with that.

The OP's experience will have alerted us all but it's not yet even confirmed that he's lost a length of the pipe - my money is on there being nothing in the sump.

Since getting a Sealey pump a few years back I've found it so much easier to do the oil change - you could probably do it in a white suit without any problem. I now think of it as a regular straightforward task rather than dreading it as a necessary evil and putting it off.
And, fingers crossed, I've never had any occurrence of the (plastic) pipe feeling in any way snagged in the process.
Ken Lion is offline   Reply With Quote