Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th January 2019, 08:09   #1
gadget1960
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Default HID kit ... which is best?

Hi all, I was considering upgrading my 75 CDT lights (basic reflectors) to HID, not really interested in changing them to what is already available from the 75 range. Question is ... how many of you have actually done this with your 75? what was the end result like? is the conversion really worth the time / money? and above all .... which kit did you use? as every kit I have seen advertised all claim to be the best for one reason or another and prices range from over £100 right down to about £20 !! , apparently the kits to use are the ones with 'ceramic' bulb holders??? no idea really so any personal experiences would be much appreciated.
gadget1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 08:58   #2
Terryf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon BRG

I used hids4u.co.uk fitted in my halogen lights.
Very much better than halogen if fitted correctly, garage did mine.
I switched to Ricks Bi-Xenons when law changed, they are great!
Terry
Terryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 10:44   #3
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Do not put an hid kit in halogen reflector headlights... not only illegal but blinding and you may melt some parts of the headlight....

Get hold of a proper set of second hand xenons...
Old 28th January 2019, 10:54   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryf View Post
I switched to Ricks Bi-Xenons when law changed,

The law changed? - cos I've been thinking about converting mine but I'm dithering.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 11:25   #5
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

DON'T EVER FIT A HID KIT TO REFLECTOR HEADLAMPS

HID kits were designed to be installed where there is a projector lens inside the headlight, giving it the correct clean cut off beam pattern so that you're not blinding on coming cars.

If you fit a HID to halogen reflectors you will be blinding oncoming cars badly. Ever seen a car coming towards you or in your rear view mirror with extremely bright headlights in a pure white or usually bluish tint light shining out all over the place like as if the car has it's main beams on? that's how it looks when you fit a HID to reflectors.

They also changed the MOT rules last year where now if you fit a HID kit to any halogen headlamp, reflector or projector, it will fail the MOT.

If you want xenon headlamps, purchase and fit a set of genuine factory xenon headlights, they will pass an MOT fine and will not require headlamp washers or self levelling.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 11:34   #6
zedhed
Posted a thing or two

zt saloon turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
DON'T EVER FIT A HID KIT TO REFLECTOR HEADLAMPS

HID kits were designed to be installed where there is a projector lens inside the headlight, giving it the correct clean cut off beam pattern so that you're not blinding on coming cars.

If you fit a HID to halogen reflectors you will be blinding oncoming cars badly. Ever seen a car coming towards you or in your rear view mirror with extremely bright headlights in a pure white or usually bluish tint light shining out all over the place like as if the car has it's main beams on? that's how it looks when you fit a HID to reflectors.

They also changed the MOT rules last year where now if you fit a HID kit to any halogen headlamp, reflector or projector, it will fail the MOT.

If you want xenon headlamps, purchase and fit a set of genuine factory xenon headlights, they will pass an MOT fine and will not require headlamp washers or self levelling.

That’s what I heard but mine passed mot in the summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 11:49   #7
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
That’s what I heard but mine passed mot in the summer

Depends on the MOT tester, could have missed it and not noticed, especially if the HID kit is fitted to halogen projectors and is well hidden, as visually there's no difference between halogen projectors and xenons apart from "xenon technology" written on the black lens inserts (the very early xenons didn't have this either) and the ballast on the back of the headlight. To someone not familiar with the car this wouldn't be so obvious.

Also some MOT testers may choose to ignore it and pass the car anyway.

It should now fail if there is a HID kit fitted to a halogen headlamp, but of course it can always sneak though.
Old 28th January 2019, 11:52   #8
zedhed
Posted a thing or two

zt saloon turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
Depends on the MOT tester, could have missed it and not noticed, especially if the HID kit is fitted to halogen projectors and is well hidden, as visually there's no difference between halogen projectors and xenons apart from "xenon technology" written on the black lens inserts (the very early xenons didn't have this either) and the ballast on the back of the headlight. To someone not familiar with the car this wouldn't be so obvious.

Also some MOT testers may choose to ignore it and pass the car anyway.

It should now fail if there is a HID kit fitted to a halogen headlamp, but of course it can always sneak though.

Surely they couldent miss em though when emitting a blue tinge of light.as you say though,he probably chose to ignore it,but normally they are quite strict,then again though I am a very good customer😁

zedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2019, 11:58   #9
Rick-sta
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
Surely they couldent miss em though when emitting a blue tinge of light.as you say though,he probably chose to ignore it,but normally they are quite strict,then again though I am a very good customer😁

Not all HID kits to give off a blue tinge. 4300k is OEM colour temp which gives off a sort of milky white light from close up, 6000k is pure white, 8000k or above starts going blue and eventually purple. But even if the MOT tester notices he might not spot it's an aftermarket HID kit and may assume the headlights are factory xenons. Even with factory xenons you can change the burners to 6000k.

I think we will see a lot of cars passing with HID kits still fitted, as I still see many cars here in south Essex with HID kits fitted to halogen reflector lamps.
Old 28th January 2019, 12:33   #10
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

The original rules with HID's was to have them self-levelling and have headlight wash.

Which is what is fitted to my car.

You can get away with a blue tint to headlights but only if they are HID's.

My car failed last year for having aftermarket side light bulbs as they had a blue tint to them, now I have gone back to the original bulbs which are rubbish, but that's the rules.

I had one of my HID D2S bulbs fail, that means the bumper has to come off to change them and it's advisable to replace both in case the other one goes.
I had them replaced with 6000k bulbs, wow what a difference, I can now see down the road for a change.
The other bulb was starting to fail because it had a pink hue to it.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote