Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th January 2019, 20:17   #111
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Nothing against 4x4s . . . . in their place. What the point of having one in the middle of a city is beyond me. I helped a mate out with his taxi business for a while, did a Council contract run to and from a school in the middle of Edinburgh. The number of huge 4x4s on the school run was ridiculous. Not just talking Range Rovers or Discoveries, there were Shoguns, Troopers, everything short of armoured personnel carriers

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2019, 20:19   #112
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

My 4x4 is comfortable, cheap and economical...
The traction gives confidence and the load carrying potential is very useful..
Old 20th January 2019, 21:15   #113
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Yes I see your point Dave, there's no doubt that this type of 4x4 driver does think in that manner of wanting road presence to intimidate. I would like to think this was not the case, but it obviously does happen.

It goes without saying that this type of driver is amongst us daily, you can find them is all sorts of vehicles, small medium and large... posh or poor.

The world is a crazy place, and we are just a small part of it. I bet you're glad you are no longer an HGV driver Dave?
You are not wrong ther Wes. My son works for a well known fuel company, as tanker driver. He is only in his 50s and can not wait to get away from the rat race it has become. Also I am still in touch with chaps I used to work with, and they say I would not recognise it all now with the idiots on the road. The things that happen to my son are unbelievable. Like he is delivering fuel and people smoking and on mobiles while he is delivering fuel when they are filling up,which is a definite no- no. Another thing is when people cut across the chevrons on the m/way to get onto another part of the m/way, and get that close to the front of his lorry, and make the auto braking act. Very dangerous when you have a full load of petrol on your back. So yes, I am glad I don’t drive for a living any longer. By the way, he said most are Mercedes or BMW and white van man, not 4x4s.lol
Old 20th January 2019, 21:29   #114
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
You are not wrong ther Wes. My son works for a well known fuel company, as tanker driver. He is only in his 50s and can not wait to get away from the rat race it has become. Also I am still in touch with chaps I used to work with, and they say I would not recognise it all now with the idiots on the road. The things that happen to my son are unbelievable. Like he is delivering fuel and people smoking and on mobiles while he is delivering fuel when they are filling up,which is a definite no- no. Another thing is when people cut across the chevrons on the m/way to get onto another part of the m/way, and get that close to the front of his lorry, and make the auto braking act. Very dangerous when you have a full load of petrol on your back. So yes, I am glad I don’t drive for a living any longer. By the way, he said most are Mercedes or BMW and white van man, not 4x4s.lol
Driving for a living in this modern fast paced life we all have now, you lot deserve a medal. To be on the roads all day, everyday would equal double pay in my book.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 05:18   #115
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Nothing against 4x4s . . . . in their place. What the point of having one in the middle of a city is beyond me. I helped a mate out with his taxi business for a while, did a Council contract run to and from a school in the middle of Edinburgh. The number of huge 4x4s on the school run was ridiculous. Not just talking Range Rovers or Discoveries, there were Shoguns, Troopers, everything short of armoured personnel carriers
The size of a 4x4 is usually misconceived, for example a lwb shogun is 37mm longer than a mondeo estate but its also 46mm narrower, so the overall space it takes up is less, especially in a car park where width is the main issue. The shogun is taller though, and this must be the factor that causes so much ill feeling, but then it's not as tall as the vast majority of vans.

Now this confuses me, it's illogical, and leads me to the conclusion that all this ill feeling is based on 'that car is bigger than mine'.

Blimey.
Old 21st January 2019, 07:47   #116
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bone View Post
The size of a 4x4 is usually misconceived, for example a lwb shogun is 37mm longer than a mondeo estate but its also 46mm narrower, so the overall space it takes up is less, especially in a car park where width is the main issue. The shogun is taller though, and this must be the factor that causes so much ill feeling, but then it's not as tall as the vast majority of vans.

Now this confuses me, it's illogical, and leads me to the conclusion that all this ill feeling is based on 'that car is bigger than mine'.

Blimey.
Well said!!!

And of course the likes of a Ford Galaxy et al are perfectly acceptable to the anti 4x4 muppets -

Last edited by Darcydog; 21st January 2019 at 07:49..
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 08:05   #117
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Well said!!!

And of course the likes of a Ford Galaxy et al are perfectly acceptable to the anti 4x4 muppets -
I've had a few of them over the years too Clive, started with the MK1 and then moved to the MK2 Gal.

One of the best MPV's around at the time, the only thing Ford about them though was the 2.3 DOHC petrol engine, and the most obvious Ford dash/interior, everything else was VW.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 19:32   #118
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZbQ3lTObas
Old 21st January 2019, 22:08   #119
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

I regularly meet 4x4 drivers on the country roads and lanes where I live. Farmers in 4x4s tend to move over, if need be onto the verge, to let me pass in the Rover, and often in my 4x4. But "offcomers" in Chelsea tractors (blingy models with road tyres and side steps etc.) tend to be more bullying and inconsiderate. Unless they meet me in my 4x4. I will always move right over onto the verge, if necessary,for a 2wd car when driving the 4x4. But when I meet a 4x4, I expect them to put 2 wheels on the verge if I have to. As others have said, what is the point if you are not going to use it? I was with my daughter in her Polo, and a Freelander came bowling along the lane towards us, and past a passing place on his side. I told my daughter to just stop, on the road, but she paniced, put 2 wheels on the verge, and bogged. The Freelander slowed right down, and gingerly drove past us with 2 wheels on the opposite verge. I had to hitch a lift home, and get out my 4x4 to get my daughter's car un-stuck!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2019, 23:41   #120
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post

I quite liked the hitchhiker, until I spotted the P6.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote