Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th December 2018, 23:06   #11
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastienclement View Post
I recently purchased a LWB with all the bells and whistles. It's a really lovely car but something that really is getting into the realms of something you WANT rather than need.

Mine has at least double the mileage that the diesel one had but it was less than half the cost.

Only you can weigh it up - I wanted a LWB 75 because I'm an enthusiast but i have had to spend out on it and will continue to do so as it needs maintenance.

As Brian said above, do get someone to inspect the state of the sills & rear foot Wells from underneath. I think mcnellie built them all outside in the rain!!

HOWEVER... They drive really REALLY nicely. Way better motorway manners then a standard wheelbase 75. Better sound deadening. Just feels a bit more luxobarge-y than a normal 75.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

This is my problem I have been driving Rovers or other BL cars for the past 50 years there has been the odd little other supplement from time to time but since the launch of the 600 there has always been a Rover as my car currently a pair of 75s on the drive. Can’t imagine not having one. Had a midget that I bought in 79 it was 6 months old at that time and lived in the garage for thirty four years. Had to sell it as I could no longer get in and out of it. ( old age again) mine not the cars. I know I should go for something else but it would not be a Rover. The wife can’t get in or out a land or Range Rover so sadly they are off the cards.
What to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 21:12   #12
75v6
Loves to post

75 CDTi Contrempory Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discofan View Post
Skoda Superb? One of the most roomy cars Ive ever had the pleasure of travelling in.
Was going to suggest this too, saw one in my local garage a while back and had great interior, and prob less maintenance worries for now! LWB is fab though if you can get a good one - that one you're looking at is too expensive, I think they bought it for around £2900 when it sold last year! Cheers.
Old 11th December 2018, 08:12   #13
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Or this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-...VxI:rk:16:pf:0
Old 11th December 2018, 20:44   #14
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discofan View Post
Skoda Superb? One of the most roomy cars Ive ever had the pleasure of travelling in.

I have spoken to a couple of young motor mechanics “ well under 40” both of them work on loads of modern tin boxes. They have both told me to stay clear of the Superb, even John Bewick an engineer who was just starting in the LMP pits as I was stoping has warned me of the Superb.
I have owned every 75 out there but not a limo. When I was in Germany I had a V8 great for the long distance between sites happily went down the Autobahn at two and a half miles a minute.
Not so good on the fuel. The V6 are nice but still thirsty. I have never liked the K series after working on them for Lotus. And we currently have a pair of oil burners one saloon which from the front thinks it’s an MG “ nothing to do with me” I bought it like that. Then there is my Tourer or mibby I should say Hamish’s Kennel.
She is mapped to 158 Bhp with 302lbft torque at the front wheels. Fantastic for towing the caravan all 1540kg of it.
I can’t imagine life with out my Rovers. I have gone full circle from my first 75 more than fifty years ago to my first new 75 on launch night. I loved that car but sadly it died saving our lives just outside Oban what must be ten years ago now. 380k on the clock and sweet as a nut a top of the range Diesel with every extra the factory and the dealer could fit to it. I really miss that car. But as I said we ended upside down with the bonnet on the grass verge and the boot lid on the mountain side with the cabin in the river cutting the car was totalled but the cabin was perfect. My wife got a broken collar bone from the pretensionar firing. But we both walked away from the car. I don’t think we would have been as lucky in a eurobox. Used to do all works myself but old age, arthritis, and the injury to my back from when I broke it mean that I have to relay on the local garage to work on them.
But I would still like something a little bigger in the rear. Thanks everyone.
Alan

Old 11th December 2018, 21:08   #15
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post

That is a nice one shame about the V8 front on her, I have to confess to not liking the MK2 or facelift models as much as the MK1s. I like the car but the good lady would complain about her having three doors per side, she would never be able to park it.
UM I wonder.
I keep seeing adverts going on about BMW engine and auto box, I was unaware of BMW ever having used a Jatco box. With my legs it has to be auto though I still am asked to drive 10 and 16 tonne wagons by the son in law because I still have my class 1 licence.
Though the took my diesel electric 80 tonne licence from me and my 100 tonne backactor and truck entitlement when I turned seventy.
Alan
Old 11th December 2018, 21:21   #16
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75v6 View Post
Was going to suggest this too, saw one in my local garage a while back and had great interior, and prob less maintenance worries for now! LWB is fab though if you can get a good one - that one you're looking at is too expensive, I think they bought it for around £2900 when it sold last year! Cheers.

That sounds much more like it. Strangely a delivery driver came to my door last night seeing the two Rovers parked on the drive offering me a 75 Diesel conni Auto with new front and back suspension for 600. I am tempted but she would go mad if another found its way on to the drive. Unless it was to replace my Tourer. Which has a new braking system fitted two years ago ( all parts replaced just in case” six months earlier I had replaced the full suspension. Well my Tourer has done 110k now so at fourteen she deserves new bits. My wife’s 75k saloon has been given the same treatment. My wife is driving it and I want it to all be in perfect condition and the only way I could be sure was to replace everything. You only get one sole mate and I want mine to be safe.
Alan

Old 11th December 2018, 22:45   #17
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

What about the older Superb, or Passat B5.5 (both 130PD variants). Aside from going through droplinks (look the droplinks up, such a convoluted design), they are pretty much bulletproof (oh yes the wings can rot out from the rear above the wheel (a silly anti vibration sponge - just perfect to absorb moisture). But tons of space and a fantastic workhorse. Better finish with the superb equivalent too.

If you can get one and prepared to go older, a B4 would be another suggestion for rear leg room (even more than the above) and feels even more solid, if a little agricultural.

But as I said before, for space, the A8 (even an A6 or Phaeton - maybe DMGRS could give his opinion on it)

EDIT just read above, ref the autobox - avoid any of the suggestions I made above if going for the VAG autobox with a diesel, they cannot handle it apparently)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 11th December 2018 at 22:47..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote