Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd July 2018, 20:11   #1
DJ_Steve

Rover 75 Saloon

Default most likely a stupid question this :D

hello all,
well my cars been running mostly ok since change of injector and in tank pump (and following a nice little upgrade from marinabrian)

but in the last week or so it seems to be down on power again and also struggles to start especially in major heat (above around 27degrees it seems),

now below 1/4 tank i an putting this down to a failed itp as i bought the replacement second hand so did not expect it to last forever,

also the other day the car cut out when accelerating off a roundabout, turning ignition off and back on fired it back up though. i know it did this twice on the may day bank holiday also coming onto a motorway and unplugging the maf seemed to stop it happening and car ran no differently otherwise.

so i guess im asking is could the maf be a cause for a cutting out problem.

of course the weather was also stupid hot on may day bank holiday aswell which is a common denominator to the issue

sorry for the confusing post haha

only need to keep the car running for maybe another month as unfortunatly(or fortunatly maybe) ill be getting a different car and selling the 75 on.
DJ_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2018, 20:23   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

don't worry thinking its a stupid question I'm so worried my reply is stupid I wont enter it and hope someone else puts it down

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2018, 21:07   #3
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Do you have water in your plenum?..
Old 23rd July 2018, 21:09   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Could be the EGR valve sticking open or one or more injectors at fault - did you carry out a leakback test before when one was changed?

Does it run on at all after you turn the key off? If so could be a faulty fuel pressure regulator, and if not then maybe the O ring on the regulator is starting to let by.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 23rd July 2018 at 21:11..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2018, 21:53   #5
DJ_Steve

Rover 75 Saloon

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Could be the EGR valve sticking open or one or more injectors at fault - did you carry out a leakback test before when one was changed?

Does it run on at all after you turn the key off? If so could be a faulty fuel pressure regulator, and if not then maybe the O ring on the regulator is starting to let by.

does not run on at all, all injector values were fine according to t4 after changing the obviously bad one.

egr is completely electrically disconnected on recommendation of marinabrian who discovered it was stuck. car has been driving fine up until id say last week or so when heats got hotter again. strangely though every time the cars physically cut out its been when engines been under a decently heavy load with towing a trailer and accelerating semi hard up to motorway speeds(60mph )
Old 23rd July 2018, 21:53   #6
DJ_Steve

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
Do you have water in your plenum?..
nope plenums clean and with the amount of sun we have had here in the last 2 weeks i doubt water would be a cause haha
Old 24th July 2018, 07:05   #7
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

If it was me I’d double check the in tank pump, listening at the filler cap isn’t conclusive, as recently I helped a fellow member who’s intank sounded like it was running but when we removed the pump it was obvious it wasn’t.

If it’s happening whilst accelerating uphill fuel pressure will be dropping and possibly below the correct operating range, I’d also look a MAF values being out of range as that could reduce power whilst pulling up hill.
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2018, 07:41   #8
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Maybe a trip to see Brian Steve and he can plug the magic wand in and get to the bottom of it?
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2018, 11:28   #9
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

I have been experiencing a similar problem. Hard acceleration has caused the engine to cut out, usually when joining the A14
I've given the car a full service, Phil has t4'd it & found no problems with the injectors. He did highlight the low fuel pressure & suggested it may be the fuel pump.
I don't usually do many motorway miles so it hasn't been an issue as such, but I do intend on fixing it ASAP. I have just bought replacement o rings for the fuel regulator. It probably won't be the cure, but it's cheaper than the pump. Should this fail I'll be replacing the ubp.

Good luck & I hope you find a fix soon,

Rob

MODS DONE;

plenum spyhole, bonnet cable divider block (previous owner), chrome wing mirror covers, gold fan resistor (previous owner), s/s bumper bolts, uprated under tray fittings
silicone intercooler hose, Viton O rings, Crofts door finishers, boot badge, wood dash, Phil-t4's magic wand, wood wheel, mk2 repeaters, HK tweeters & Angel eye projectors.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2018, 14:49   #10
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

Is the fuel filter clear?
I have taken the advise of an old Diesel fitter who many years ago, would not look at my Diesel Land Rover until he had changed the filter in spite of me telling him it was new the previous week. Turned out I had picked up some dirty fuel & it was black when he opened it up. New filter, problem solved, so I will always change filter before anything else. Fuel is cleaner now, but at least one is starting from a known point.
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote