Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd March 2007, 12:36   #21
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

Have a read here and it should help you know a bit more about memory, The memory you was offered to plug in to your UBS port was most probably a memory stick, which is like a small hard drive and allows you to move files from one pc to other quick and easy.The memory we are talking about is (RAM) Random access memory.

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2005/12/12...really_needuk/
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2007, 12:44   #22
empsburna
Gets stuck in

Other Manufacturer

If you are still having issues or need help with an upgrade give me a shout and i'l give you a hand
empsburna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2007, 12:56   #23
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

2004 1.8 Connoisseur SE, 1999 XJ8

Having had a quick scan over the replies so far, yes you need more RAM memory, not hard drive space. XP likes to have plenty, 512 would do, but 1GB is better

Also, what antivirus and firewall programs do you have? I have found a lot of Norton products to be a major cause on slowing down 4 out of 5 computers I have had through the workshop recently, this does not mean it's the case with yours, (you may not even have norton) just an observation.

People often talk about virus's tojans and spyware as if they are all the same thing, and unfortunately they are not. you may need software capable of dealing with them all, having said that I only use the free versions of AVG and Zonealarm on my computer along with a little program called spywareguard that I got from here:
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sgdownload.html

So that's all the "security" I have and have ever needed, and I do venture a lot into the "darkside" for all sorts of things.. :SHOCKED: but I also refuse to allow any p2p software (such as limewire, bearshare or any torrent programs) near my PC as they are simply the biggest source of problems out there. That's not a statement I make without foundation, it's a simple fact that once I had removed that software from PC's it was installed on (just like norton above) the problem went away.

Having said all that, sometimes its quicker to simply backup all pictures and music onto a couple of dvd's and reformat the thing :lol:
Old 23rd March 2007, 13:16   #24
Paranoid Carlos
Posted a thing or two

Starlight CDT Conn SE

Use AV guard myself and mcafee, Thanks for the advice and offers of help much appreciated.

Any recommended suppliers of ram, always fancied pulling my PC to bits is it as easy people say to install some more?

Daft really I will happily pull an engine out of something just to see how to, but I have put this off for ages.:lol:

Last edited by Paranoid Carlos; 23rd March 2007 at 13:20..
Paranoid Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2007, 13:30   #25
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

For new memory run the system test i link a few posts ago.
Go here and look for the scan my system button on the right hand side half way down.
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/list...FSBfQAod8nv1GA

and to install memory, yes it is easy

1. Open the case. You can leave all of the plugs in place and components attached.

2. Get grounded. Before touching the new memory or anything inside the computer, you need to get grounded. The easiest way to be sure that you are grounded is to use an inexpensive antistatic wrist strap that can be purchased at a local electronics or computer store. If you don’t have a wrist strap, touch the inside of the chassis while the PC is still plugged in; this will ground you. Once you are grounded, unplug the computer from the wall.

3. Find the place to insert the module. Look for other memory like the memory you have just purchased. You will see empty slots next to the memory that is already in place.

4. Pick up the memory module by the side edges. Don’t touch the flat surfaces or the contacts along the bottom. Orient the memory to match the memory that is already installed. Insert the memory module in the first empty slot next to the currently installed memory. Different types of memory install slightly differently.

a. DIMMs and most newer types of memory are simply inserted into the slot with a gentle downward pressure. The clips on both sides of the module must snap into place for the module to be properly seated.

b. SIMMs are a slightly older type of memory found in most computers more than three years old. They are inserted at a 45-degree angle and then rotated to a vertical position. Again, the supporting clips will snap into place.

5. Replace the cover, plug in the computer, and turn it on. In some computers, you will see the amount of RAM scroll by, confirming that the computer has recognized the new memory. If the memory has not been installed properly, there may be error messages, or the computer may freeze. If anything seems abnormal, remove and reinstall the new memory. Once everything is running properly, you can hold down the ALT key while double-clicking on My Computer to see the System Properties screen which will confirm the amount of memory that your computer thinks is installed.

Last edited by Kandyman; 23rd March 2007 at 13:32..
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2007, 14:47   #26
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

[Smug mode]I'm saying nothing[/Smug mode]
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2007, 15:05   #27
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

2004 1.8 Connoisseur SE, 1999 XJ8

mind you before ordering new memory, its a good idea to look inside and see what's in there first, (how many actual slots are in there, and what's used) just to be on the safe side.
Old 12th April 2007, 16:29   #28
Paranoid Carlos
Posted a thing or two

Starlight CDT Conn SE

Fitted 1gb of ram this morning (took about 30 seconds once I got rid of the fluff )

Everythings lightning fast now, Thanks everybody for there help, I used crucial in the end cost me £60.

So thats saved me about £500 for a new computer:lol:
Old 12th April 2007, 17:13   #29
Jürgen
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Carlos View Post
Everythings lightning fast now,
Good to read this.
But just a hint regarding that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Carlos View Post
Use AV guard myself and mcafee,
An on-access virus scanner should be active all the time.
And it is a good idea to use 2 different virus scanners for on-demand scanning.
But never use 2 anti virus programs as on-access guards (running in background), this also will slow down the system due to conflicts.
Old 13th April 2007, 19:39   #30
Paranoid Carlos
Posted a thing or two

Starlight CDT Conn SE

Ok then need more advice.........

When It's warmed up everything is lightening fast can do several things at once etc etc.

But when I first boot up if I don't wait 15 minutes everything goes SLOOOOOOOOW for about 5 minutes and then just like nothings happened everythings quick and stable Any ideas or do I need to invest in a newer PC

Could it be my antivirus etc checking everything.?