Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th February 2013, 21:34   #71
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

It's like most things, if you know where to look for the problem and what to do about it then the solution is simple.

The first time i came across this I was helping a member out, it took me around three hours to work out what the problem was and what to do to solve it as it isn't in any instruction manual. But it was well worth it, just seeing how many people have benefited now from my swearing and cursing

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 08:59   #72
psmith
Avid contributor

MG 3 style Lux, Rover 45 Cub SE

Recently removed my front near side door card without any damage by removing inner door rubber seal and sill carpet plastic cover. Was able then to pull bottom of door card through gap and then lifted it off the 2 metal brackets. Was able then to get my hand round to remove the plastic cover and release the lock. Once the door was open I could then remove the only screw and the door card was removed undamaged. I just need to buy 4 x fir tree clips, 1 for the door card and 3 for the sill cover. Bought the lock for £40 new off ebay. Theres a company from darlaston that has bought a lot of brand new ex rover factory parts. My superlocking motor had failed.
psmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 09:08   #73
Yam
Avid contributor

Jaguar XF

You know though....I think a lot of the problem is the actual door handle inner back-plate.
It may well be that mine had not actually slipped in the plasic lock as they both had equal threads top and bottom....adjusting it lower (with less threads at the bottom) does help, but if like you did in my case go a fraction to far....jammed once central locking is activated.
The plastic locking clip has a fair amount of 'free play' up and down once the rod is unclipped from it....but I think my problem was I pushed the clip down a fraction further (you can feel a little pressure) clipped it in...maybe 2 or 3 mm showing...and that was too much. The Doors opened earlier and seemed perfect...until I used the central locking.
If you allow say to much thread at the bottom of the clip....the door hand operates very late on its pull.
As a point of interest my front doors open earlier than my back......which makes me think the inner backplate which operates from the door handle once pulled is not as forgiving with its tolerance.
I think I have read some people change this item....another know problem perhaps.
I will pop my cards back on when the rain eases of this morning but double check that all is ok with central locking on/off first.
Hopefully all will be ok.

Yam.
Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 09:21   #74
psmith
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam View Post
You know though....I think a lot of the problem is the actual door handle inner back-plate.
It may well be that mine had not actually slipped in the plasic lock as they both had equal threads top and bottom....adjusting it lower (with less threads at the bottom) does help, but if like you did in my case go a fraction to far....jammed once central locking is activated.
The plastic locking clip has a fair amount of 'free play' up and down once the rod is unclipped from it....but I think my problem was I pushed the clip down a fraction further (you can feel a little pressure) clipped it in...maybe 2 or 3 mm showing...and that was too much. The Doors opened earlier and seemed perfect...until I used the central locking.
If you allow say to much thread at the bottom of the clip....the door hand operates very late on its pull.
As a point of interest my front doors open earlier than my back......which makes me think the inner backplate which operates from the door handle once pulled is not as forgiving with its tolerance.
I think I have read some people change this item....another know problem perhaps.
I will pop my cards back on when the rain eases of this morning but double check that all is ok with central locking on/off first.
Hopefully all will be ok.

Yam.
The plastic clip does seem to be a weak part of the system and I can see that if the lock froze then this would slip along the thread and cause a problem. I'll double check that Ive setup mine correctly before I put my door card back. I suppose you could make something stronger with a grub screw to clamp on the rod, and if a T section was machined at the other end so it could slide up and down. But then maybe the next weak point would be in the lock assy. I didn't check the handle assy on mine as it all appeared ok.

Last edited by psmith; 10th February 2013 at 09:29..
Old 10th February 2013, 09:24   #75
Billy1mate
Posted a thing or two

120d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
I promise not to go on holiday again to an area that has little internet connections Sorry
I know it's an older thread but I thought Stocktake was following the thread & having a giggle and jumped in at the last minute to save the day.
It is a lesson to everyone to take a breath and just hang on a little longer, help will arrive, it was mentioned that plastic bits don't like the cold, couldn't agree more
Billy1mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 09:36   #76
Yam
Avid contributor

Jaguar XF

I suppose in theory you could put a nut each side of the clip(tho the 3 thread rule at the bottom would not leave sufficient thread to put a nut on the bottom.
If the rod always slips up (ie when frozen ect) maybe a nut at the top of the rod or 2 even would prevent this happening.The rod thread looks maybe M6 ?
Just a thought.
Maybe a small grubscrew like Psmith suggests, (M4 or M5) tapped through the Plastic block and nipped onto the thread itself would prevent further issues

Yam.
Old 10th February 2013, 09:46   #77
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

An attributing factor is the bar itself, it has a double offset in it, all it will take is a frozen lock and a good tug and the angles of the offset are changed, in effect altering the vertical length of the bar, like the nut idea though

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 09:53   #78
psmith
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
An attributing factor is the bar itself, it has a double offset in it, all it will take is a frozen lock and a good tug and the angles of the offset are changed, in effect altering the vertical length of the bar, like the nut idea though
Yeah that does sound a good idea. Before I put the door card back I'll put two nuts locked together on the rod above the clip. My only concern is whether rover intentionally made this a weak point to protect the lock.
Old 10th February 2013, 10:05   #79
Yam
Avid contributor

Jaguar XF

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith View Post
Yeah that does sound a good idea. Before I put the door card back I'll put two nuts locked together on the rod above the clip. My only concern is whether rover intentionally made this a weak point to protect the lock.
Possibly.
I still have my door cards of...waiting for the rain to stop.
Its quite possible you could put 2 nuts together above, to prevent the rod slipping.
My problem was (I think) I left to little thread at the bottom....the door opened earlier on the handle and I thought great...I checked it opened from inside....it did.
It was only after putting the cards back on and locking the car with the fob...that the ****** things would then not open at all........
To say I use a little industrial Language would not be an understatment !!!!

I am sure some just fit a new inner plate to the door handle...so the actual door handle works earlier when you pull it.

Yam.