Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th March 2011, 21:00   #1
PaulNutz

rover 75 2.0cdt

Default Rover 75 2.0 CDT ABS Sensor removal

Hi there I have tried to find the answer before posting this but could someone please refer to or show me a link to how to remove the front N/S ABS Sensor I have had the car up and found that the sensor is worn through and i need to repalce it as my MoT is due I am pretty sure that this is the only fault with my ABS but from reading thorugh the threads i can find people are talking about drilling etc so i want to make sure i get it right rather than damage any thing else I look forward to all your answer with anticpation

cheers

Paul
PaulNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 21:03   #2
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

I found the only way to remove both of mine, was to drill a hole through them, then tap them out with a tiny screwdriver.

Hopefully there may be a better way??
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 17:50   #3
PaulNutz

rover 75 2.0cdt

still waiting a pic guide would be nice
PaulNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 18:16   #4
bramblp
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT

I have read many tales here about Sensors having to be drilled out, mine simply came out with a pull using a firm grip with a pliers, try this before drilling anything you may be suprised, then again you may not
bramblp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 10:01   #5
geoffm
Regular poster

Rover 75 cdt saloon

These sensors are a nightmare to remove, the rear ones far worse than the front.
The problem is that the hubs get very hot and the plastic sensor moulds itself into the hole, so far I have had to drill my out each time, I have tried lubricating with different sprays but no joy.
I start with a small central hole hole and then enlarge it until you can tap it apart and pull the remains out with pliers.
The main focus must be NOT to over drill, if you can set the drill depth no more than the depth of the new one you plan to fit would be ideal or you will cause damage to the reluctor rings / magnetic strip.

Hope this helps

Geoff
geoffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 18:02   #6
carlpenn
This is my second home

2000 Wedgey Blue 2.5V6 Beauty

I removed Both front ones by simply using Slip Joint pliers, gripped around the base of the sensor (the top end I mean, where its bolted to teh Hub) and slowly twisting it left to right (circular motion so to speak) if you aren't putting it back in then using your free hand pull with the Sensor Cable. Mine took about 20 minutes each side to remove and replace.

I used 3 in 1 Oil to lube the sensor first.

The rear ones are total pigs to get at due to the fact they are inserted horizontally and very close to the moulded sides on the Backplate, so I am not sure if you can get a Plier grip on them - Though I am currently removing the Caliper ***'y to replace the Handbrake shoes so I am gonna have another look to see if I can get a better grip with the Calipers removed

Removing the Hub and using a Hammer and a Socket ended Screwdriver was my original plan, but I cannot get the damn Toothed Washer out to free the Hub and not too sure if using a Hub Puller is gonna help. Haynes aren't helpful with this Washer as they only say "Recover the Toothed Washer" .. and give no indication as to how it should be "recovered"