Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd August 2023, 15:24   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default A tool suggestion and a tip

In the process of removing the rear sub frame from the donor car and stripping it down ready to have it shot blasted I came up with a couple of problems.
The cage ripped open holding one of the nuts for the lower arm. Being round apart from the mm or two that faces the sub frame holding it is difficult.
Here is a picture of the tool I used and it worked a treat.

So I did not have a problem the problem with the other caged nuts I ground one of my dads old spanners so it was about 26mm. This fits the cage and hopefully would stop it tearing open. The two bolts for the upper arm cam out without tearing the cage but I did have the spanner on the cages.

You really dont want the cages for the upper arms to rip open.

macafee2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9907.jpg (133.4 KB, 66 views)
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2023, 23:07   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
In the process of removing the rear sub frame from the donor car and stripping it down ready to have it shot blasted I came up with a couple of problems.
The cage ripped open holding one of the nuts for the lower arm. Being round apart from the mm or two that faces the sub frame holding it is difficult.
Here is a picture of the tool I used and it worked a treat.

So I did not have a problem the problem with the other caged nuts I ground one of my dads old spanners so it was about 26mm. This fits the cage and hopefully would stop it tearing open. The two bolts for the upper arm cam out without tearing the cage but I did have the spanner on the cages.

You really dont want the cages for the upper arms to rip open.

macafee2
Hi Ian.
Did all the above happen in situ with the subframe still on the car? / if so it would have been better to remove the subframe with the upper and lower arms still attached, you then would be able to deal with them better being away from the car.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2023, 07:44   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Ian.
Did all the above happen in situ with the subframe still on the car? / if so it would have been better to remove the subframe with the upper and lower arms still attached, you then would be able to deal with them better being away from the car.
The one that tore was on the lower arm when still on car. The upper arms I left on the sub frame and then ground a spanner to fit the cage once I had the sub frame off. I was worried the cages for the upper arms would tear. Goodness know what people do if those ones fail.

Both my cars I've done the upper and lower arms with the sub frame still on the car. Perhaps I should heed the warning!

Unfortunately the off side bolt from upper arm to hub is seized solid and I had to cut through the bolt. This happened to the near side bolt on my saloon.
I will see if I can drill through the bolt this time. The car is a donor car and only needs to be moved around the drive.

I hope I can knock the cage back into shape and then have it arc welded

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote