Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th September 2007, 13:28   #1
zan110
Regular poster

MG ZT-T+

Unhappy 05 75 CDTI Classic - Whooshing sound and smoke under load

Hi, I am now suffering from a loud whooshing sound from the intake system accompanied by some smoke from the exhaust under acceleration above about 2500rpm and a reduction of power. There are no symptoms when the engine is revved off load. The car has done just over 25,000miles from new.

I suspect the turbo and induction system, perhaps the EGR valve. The turbo is working and there are no obvious leaks, dirty smoke marks etc. Any suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
I dont believe it..fix the stereo and a couple of days later this!
zan
zan110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 15:12   #2
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zan110 View Post
Hi, I am now suffering from a loud whooshing sound from the intake system accompanied by some smoke from the exhaust under acceleration above about 2500rpm and a reduction of power. There are no symptoms when the engine is revved off load. The car has done just over 25,000miles from new.

I suspect the turbo and induction system, perhaps the EGR valve. The turbo is working and there are no obvious leaks, dirty smoke marks etc. Any suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
I dont believe it..fix the stereo and a couple of days later this!
zan
Almost certainly a split or leaking boost hose. Check the hose from turbo to intercooler and the hose from intercooler to EGR valve assembly. They are large diameter black hoses. I think a fault with the EGR valve itself is unlikely. There's only one moving part in it and thats the exhaust intake piston. It could be stuck in the open position but its highly unlikely. Symptoms would be similar to a split boost hose. Final possibilities are a damaged intercooler or a damaged turbine housing on the turbo, again very unlikely so I suspect its boost hose related.

Last edited by Ross R75; 26th September 2007 at 15:21..
Ross R75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 15:19   #3
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

If as Ross says it is the intercooler hose then you need to check out Julesbass Tips here:-
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ead.php?t=9653
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 20:15   #4
zan110
Regular poster

MG ZT-T+

Can't see any obvious splits or holes, all the rubber pipes seem like new, EGR valve seems ok but plenty of greasy black deposits inside. I didnt remove it as my mate filled his diesel Pajero up with petrol so was distracted on a mercy mission.
Will look again tomorrow.
Where would you block off the EGR to test it?
thanks
Old 26th September 2007, 22:26   #5
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Can't see any obvious splits or holes, all the rubber pipes seem like new, EGR valve seems ok but plenty of greasy black deposits inside. I didnt remove it as my mate filled his diesel Pajero up with petrol so was distracted on a mercy mission.
Will look again tomorrow.
Where would you block off the EGR to test it?
thanks
I have an EGR replacement fitted. You could try blocking off the exhaust induction pipe on the side of the EGR valve. When checking the boost hoses you really need to make a physical inspection using the good old mk1 fingers, visual inspection isn't enough. Feel down the hoses squeezing as you go, this will reveal any splits.
Old 29th September 2007, 12:58   #6
zan110
Regular poster

MG ZT-T+

Thanks Ross
Thorough visual inspection revealed athat a jubilee clip had failed on one of the turbo pipes behind the block (only visible with the acoustic cover and air filter removed). There is very little overlap between the hoses and the jubilee clips have to be very accurately placed. I removed it and turned it around to enable me to do it up parallel with the back of the engine block with a screw driver. This still was very awkward and resulted in bruises and scrapes to the arms!I guess that the clips are done up before the engine is placed in the body. Still it was an enormous relief to find the fault and thanks to you and the Forum for guidance. I have a couple of pictures showing where the pipe was disconnected in case anyone else has this problem but can't quite work out how to attach them.
zan
Old 29th September 2007, 23:10   #7
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

No problem Zan, thats what we're all here for, glad to be of help. Cuts and bruises eh? It wouldn't be the same without them. No pain, no gain and all that. Post the pics if you can because sure as the sky is blue, this will happen to somebody else.
Old 30th September 2007, 09:49   #8
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
I have a couple of pictures showing where the pipe was disconnected in case anyone else has this problem but can't quite work out how to attach them.
zan
Have a look at Simons very helpful tips. 3rd post.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...7989#post87989

Hope this helps
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 12:21   #9
zan110
Regular poster

MG ZT-T+

Well I shall try again, so here are the pictures, I hope...[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]