Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th October 2007, 19:28   #1
Boz75
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.5 KV6

Thumbs down Question for worried 2.5 auto owner - VIS motors

Hi fellow 75 drivers,
After 2000 troublefree miles in my immaculate W reg 75 2.5 auto with only33800 miles under her belt the engine seems to have developed a faint ticking. I noticed it for the first time this evening coming home from york after an hours drive. I always listen for fans etc when i get out at home but tonight i could hear a very quiet ticking from the engine bay. i quickly opened the bonnet and sure enough there was a definite and regular noise coming directly from the inlet manifold (pack of sausages) on top of the engine that was not there when i had the bonnet up on monday. It is definately not a loud death rattle and it cannot be heard inside the cabin just spoils the smoothness when you are stood outside. Funnily enough i had on my way home from york (about 1 hour) noticed the car felt slightly less spritely than usual but thought nothing of it as the engine still made its wonderfull silken bellow, so put it down to my Roveractive imagination. Now i am not too sure!

In Summary and after extensive research on this wonderous site i have come across the inlet manifold issue for the Kv6. I am hoping all i need to change is the motors and not the full manifold as the noise is not that bad and there doesn't seem to be a very noticable performance shortfall. i would just like some helpful advice on this so i can get Cybil back to rude health as soon as possible.

Thanks everyone
Ross

P.s. sorry for the long post its my first one and i just wanted to be nice and clear.
Boz75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 21:40   #2
miketata
Loves to post

rover 75/jeep patriot crd

i would bet money on it being the vis valves, probably the power valve motor ...the one on the topside of the engine. Changing it will probably cure all. The ticking should follow the engine revs and will only get worse. A search will reveal part numbers needed.
miketata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 21:50   #3
Boz75
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.5 KV6

Thanks for the reply all the way from Australia. wow!

I think i will get a set of Vis motors on order first thing tommorow i don't want to make the problem any worse just because i wait too long before getting it fixed. I don't want to have to end up buying a new manifold at the moment. I will get both motors on order just to be sure though.

Thanks again
Ross
Old 12th October 2007, 21:56   #4
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz75 View Post
Thanks for the reply all the way from Australia. wow!

I think i will get a set of Vis motors on order first thing tommorow i don't want to make the problem any worse just because i wait too long before getting it fixed. I don't want to have to end up buying a new manifold at the moment. I will get both motors on order just to be sure though.

Thanks again
Ross
Ross,

The rear motor is very reliable and not known for failing. At £70 approx per motor it might be worth getting the front one only first

Part number you need is MKE100102

hth
Old 12th October 2007, 22:07   #5
Boz75
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.5 KV6

Thanks Mike,
Its a bit of a puzzle this VIS thing and i am relatively new to the KV6. My last two rovers being K4's. All i had to worry about then was hgf.

I will have a chat with the service manager at my local ex rover dealer tommorow. Very reliable i have used them for all my cars. Fingers crossed i will only need to spend the £70 for one motor. That would be so much more convenient.

I am begining to relax more now.

Thanks helpful people
Ross
Old 12th October 2007, 22:32   #6
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

The motor should not cause a ticking sound and a failed butterfly is fairly obvious because of the erratic nature of the rattle.

Get your Vis motors checked by all means they may well be duff but otoh could have been duff for months or years

Most people simply do not realise.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 22:39   #7
Boz75
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.5 KV6

Oh dear, that one sounds more expensive. Never mind though whatever she needs she will get. definately going on the T4 tommorow at walkers in selby. I do have a warranty but i think the car has to physically break first for them to repair it and i don't fancy that.

Thanks for your help
Ross
Old 12th October 2007, 22:46   #8
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Be advised if the car has not been on T4 for a while or again years as I see many that have never had their fault codes cleared it will almost certainly have Vis fault codes logged.

This does not necessarily mean the motors are duff so the mechanic must use the Testbook force outputs option and physically test the motors for you

If you do need new motors ask for your old ones back as many can be repaired easily if not then they are useful to others as spare parts.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 22:46   #9
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Using a decent sized screw driver, place the pointy end on any part of the engine where you think the tick may be coming from and press your ear to the blunt end. This will amplify the sound you hear and may help you track it down more precisely.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2007, 22:53   #10
Boz75
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.5 KV6

Will do. Thanks for the advice GG.

I don't know where else i could get such great help in such a short amount of time.

I will try that tommorow and repost if i find anything interesting.

All my fingers and toes are crossed.

Thanks
Ross