Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th April 2020, 20:36   #1
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts
Default Kenwood KDC-W4544 retrofit

As per the title, has anyone replaced the original fit Kenwood KRC-391 with a more modern Kenwood KDC-W4544, and if so do the IR steering wheel controls work?

My wireless has developed a bad habit of switching off if you hit a bump in the road, and quite fancy the thought of being able to replace it with something slightly more modern, but still retain the boot mounted CD changer.

Brian

Last edited by marinabrian; 7th April 2020 at 20:41..
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2020, 12:52   #2
Tracker
Loves to post

MG ZT

Kenwood's site says that an optional IR (handheld) controller is available for that model, so the odds are that they will. I too like the boot mounted cd changer arrangement, even if it is a bit "old school" these days.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2020, 12:58   #3
ManMek
Regular poster

MG ZT-T

Default Kenwood KDC-W4544 retrofit

I've recently fitted a Kenwood DDX9717BTS and a couple of years ago fitted a Kenwood single din head unit, both needed a separate interface for steering wheel controls
ManMek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2020, 18:16   #4
GJ53 DGO
Gets stuck in

MG-ZT 260SE

I fitted the kenwood KDC BT43U i few years ago in mine, it has been excellent, has aux and usb inputs as well as bluetooth connectivity and the IR steering wheel controls still work, plus it blends in nicely looking like an original fit. I liked it so much i found another one on ebay for my tomcat as this is an obsolete model but i would assume its successor is just as good.
GJ53 DGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2020, 19:35   #5
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanks all, I've downloaded the original service manuals for both units, looked at the circuit diagrams, and it appears both units use the same IR processor, so the chances are it will work

The PCB layout and positioning for the IR receiver are in similar positions, so relocation of the IRED shouldn't be necessary, as there was an initial concern that the remote receiver was located beneath the volume control out of the "line of sight"

I definitely didn't want to move away from what in essence is the best of the lowline units fitted to these cars, and after I overhauled the six disc changer a couple of years back, means I can retain that.

You might question why I don't fit an all singing all dancing android choc ice marshmallow kit kat double din touchscreen nav bluetooth giblet.........the answer is simple, I like to listen to the radio, and I prefer a unit which has decent radio reception

Brian

P.S. I do have a Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB with Apple CarPlay etc etc etc, but I've installed that in the loft in a cardboard box, because it's easier than trying to fit it into the car
Old 11th April 2020, 13:15   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Well this arrived, and as I was bored, I immediately fitted it.

The SWC work a treat, however the IRED needed to be relocated, not a problem as there is another slot on the other side of the black thingy that clips under the eyebrow, unless of course you have modified this already to house a Parrot 3100 handsfree

Anyway even though this was a new old stock item, it looked to have been poorly stored, and the CD mechanism loading mechanism needs a bit of TLC.

So when I take it out again, I'm going to mirror the USB and the aux on the front panel at the back of the unit, so I can run a USB to the centre console cubby, my preferred phone location when on the go.

The sound quality is superb, the six disc changer still operates, my AyePhurn likes it, and it looks right at home, a veritable bargain........ including the delivery £18.50.

Brian
Old 11th April 2020, 13:41   #7
marinabrian

MG ZT

Attached Images
File Type: jpg radio.jpg (131.4 KB, 231 views)
Old 11th April 2020, 15:34   #8
Tracker
Loves to post

MG ZT

That's good news, Brian and it certainly looks good in situ. Were the ISO connecting plugs from the KRC 391 a straight fit or did you need any adaptor wire?
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2020, 10:55   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
That's good news, Brian and it certainly looks good in situ. Were the ISO connecting plugs from the KRC 391 a straight fit or did you need any adaptor wire?
Everything was plug and play from the original set, I've now overhauled the sticking CD deck, and fitted a rear USB socket.

It's certainly a nice upgrade, and easy as pie to do

Brian