Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th March 2020, 13:17   #1
Fred Byrne
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Engine Replaced

Engine replaced yesterday. A few pictures to whet the apetite. A few naughty words used. patience was required and much technical advice from Marc(Technical Advisor)
One gearbox bolt has gone AWOL. Anybody who sees a wandering bolt please redirect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg technical Advisor.jpg (126.2 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Engine ready to go in.jpg (130.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg New Piston and Liner Installed.jpg (129.2 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg What a mess!.jpg (122.9 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Almost ther. Bottom needs to go in a bit.jpg (130.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Success! Hurrah.jpg (126.6 KB, 82 views)
Fred Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2020, 14:34   #2
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

I'm going through a similar process with my KV6 at the 'mo. Engine is having new pistons, liners, bearings, and a new clutch and will be going back in in a couple of weeks.

A great opportunity for some deep cleaning, but quite stressful looking at the pile of parts that are sitting in the shed .

Glad to hear yours went OK .

Cliff

No. 4 of 6

Last edited by Teflon; 15th March 2020 at 16:04..
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2020, 20:49   #3
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Byrne View Post
Engine replaced yesterday. A few pictures to whet the apetite. A few naughty words used. patience was required and much technical advice from Marc(Technical Advisor)
One gearbox bolt has gone AWOL. Anybody who sees a wandering bolt please redirect.
Just curios if the piston was an assembly with conrod too? What make is the piston and liner?
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2020, 21:27   #4
Teflon
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
Just curios if the piston was an assembly with conrod too? What make is the piston and liner?
Just to add to that, can I ask what the issue was that prompted the piston swap?

Cheers,

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Old 15th March 2020, 08:49   #5
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
Just to add to that, can I ask what the issue was that prompted the piston swap?

Cheers,

Cliff
I believe it was this. https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=303464

Must give the OP credit for the amount of time he spent getting to the bottom of this as most would have given up long before he had.

Last edited by Lovel; 15th March 2020 at 09:02..
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2020, 11:25   #6
Fred Byrne
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

That is correct. When the previous owner (my brother) had the timing belt replaced it appears the garage did not get the camwheel key into the camshaft slot properly. It sat on one edge of the slot and that edge has been slightly rounded as a result. I have replaced the camshaft. The piston on No.2 cylinder hit the exhaust valves and was destroyed. The cylinder liner was also damaged badly. A replacement piston+con-rod from Rimmers was quoted at ~£300 but on the Internet I found one for sale at £83 + £20 postage from Romania. It turned out to be genuine. The markings on the piston crown and on the conrod are the same as on the one that it replaced. I was afraid that the con-rod might have been distorted and having no means of testing this I decided to replace the con-rod. I bought the red hoisting bracket from Ebay for ~£20; it has been a godsend as it allows one to get the tilt angle correct when connecting the engine to the gearbox. Also, if I was doing this job again I would make the chain to the rear lifting eye about 2 inches longer than the one to the front. This rotates the engine towards the front slightly and makes lining up the bolt holes much easier. Otherwise it takes a bit of manhandling (womanhandling?) to get these correct. Incidentally, I was wrong when I said you needed to move the rear bracket to the front of the flange. This is not necessary I was stupid to do this.
Hope this helps

Fred
Fred Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2020, 16:05   #7
Teflon
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Byrne View Post
That is correct. When the previous owner (my brother) had the timing belt replaced it appears the garage did not get the camwheel key into the camshaft slot properly. It sat on one edge of the slot and that edge has been slightly rounded as a result. I have replaced the camshaft. The piston on No.2 cylinder hit the exhaust valves and was destroyed. The cylinder liner was also damaged badly. A replacement piston+con-rod from Rimmers was quoted at ~£300 but on the Internet I found one for sale at £83 + £20 postage from Romania. It turned out to be genuine. The markings on the piston crown and on the conrod are the same as on the one that it replaced. I was afraid that the con-rod might have been distorted and having no means of testing this I decided to replace the con-rod. I bought the red hoisting bracket from Ebay for ~£20; it has been a godsend as it allows one to get the tilt angle correct when connecting the engine to the gearbox. Also, if I was doing this job again I would make the chain to the rear lifting eye about 2 inches longer than the one to the front. This rotates the engine towards the front slightly and makes lining up the bolt holes much easier. Otherwise it takes a bit of manhandling (womanhandling?) to get these correct. Incidentally, I was wrong when I said you needed to move the rear bracket to the front of the flange. This is not necessary I was stupid to do this.
Hope this helps

Fred
Thanks for the background info

Cliff

No. 4 of 6