Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th February 2020, 23:15   #31
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Have you ever tried nipping up both of the alloy manifold to cylinder head set pins? The card gasket joint does lose clamping force over time. There is a coolant gallery at each end that could leak into the cylinder and not show up in the vee. Failing that remove the manifold and fit new gaskets, remember to tighten the set pins again as with heat the manifold joint will loosen.

Last edited by Lovel; 10th February 2020 at 23:34..
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2020, 20:20   #32
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

You must be mad!
Taking the heads off without any evidence of blown gaskets?
Or have I missed someting?
Old 12th February 2020, 18:28   #33
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8 tourer & MG ZTT & MG RV8

I'm not mad but this is my last resort. I believe I have exhausted all the alternatives. It is just not possible for me to run a car that looses coolant so taking the heads off to inspect the gaskets has to be done even if it only eliminates it as a cause. I realise it is a huge job but the alternative is to scrap the car which I am reluctant to do. More constructive comments would be more helpful.

Martin
Mr Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2020, 18:41   #34
kaiser
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad View Post
I'm not mad but this is my last resort. I believe I have exhausted all the alternatives. It is just not possible for me to run a car that looses coolant so taking the heads off to inspect the gaskets has to be done even if it only eliminates it as a cause. I realise it is a huge job but the alternative is to scrap the car which I am reluctant to do. More constructive comments would be more helpful.

Martin
More constructive comments.
My good man, this is the most constructive I can come up with at the moment.
You have NO indication that head gaskets play any role. You have two of them, and you want to remove them without ANY evidence that anything is wrong??. You have even tested for hydrocarbon in the coolant. And the results were negative!

Have you pressure tested the cooling system.?

Have you checked the two metal pipes in front under the radiator in the corners.?

There are most likely the first dozen tests a normal person would perform before the heads are removed.

But, this is your car, your money and your time. Feel absolutely free to use that anyhow you see fit.
Old 12th February 2020, 19:29   #35
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:

Martin
Can you eliminate my question in post #31
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2020, 09:13   #36
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8 tourer & MG ZTT & MG RV8

Gary I must have missed your posts. I think you are referring to the inlet manifolds. I have replaced both gaskets TWICE so I think it most unlikely that it is leaking from there.

I have noticed that the engine oil is rather black and coupled with the mayonnaise under the oil filler cap I consider this to be sufficient evidence of a slight head gasket failure, although it does not appear to be getting worse.

It is still leaking 700ccs of coolant to about 130 miles, so now that we are in lockdown it may be a convenient time to do the job and now that we have some better weather.

I read somewhere that you do not have to remove all 3 bolts of air con compressor although it may be revealed once I start work, which two should be removed please?

I trust everyone is keeping safe in these rather bizarre times.

Martin
Mr Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2020, 09:41   #37
kaiser
This is my second home

Quote:
Gary I must have missed your posts. I think you are referring to the inlet manifolds. I have replaced both gaskets TWICE so I think it most unlikely that it is leaking from there.

I have noticed that the engine oil is rather black and coupled with the mayonnaise under the oil filler cap I consider this to be sufficient evidence of a slight head gasket failure, although it does not appear to be getting worse.

It is still leaking 700ccs of coolant to about 130 miles, so now that we are in lockdown it may be a convenient time to do the job and now that we have some better weather.

I read somewhere that you do not have to remove all 3 bolts of air con compressor although it may be revealed once I start work, which two should be removed please?

I trust everyone is keeping safe in these rather bizarre times.

Martin
Mayo under the oil filler cap, just indicates water in the oil. It does NOT say anything about where it comes from!
It could be a case of little use, and not getting up to temperature. That is the most optimistic version.
Then it could be water from any little leak into the oil side, and here inlet manifolds on the V6 is right up there. So is a leaking oil cooler! I have not read through this whole thread, so it might have been said already.
Head gasket is the most pessimistic option, and should only be considered, if backed by other indicators, like hydrocarbons in coolant, over pressure or visual indicators of water in a cylinder(s).
In other words, that is the last option to go for, and one only done is confirmed by other tests.
Old 23rd April 2020, 10:13   #38
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... the mayonnaise under the oil filler cap I consider this to be sufficient evidence of a slight head gasket failure ...
As I've said before Martin, I disagree. Please revisit my post number 28 for the reasoning.
Quote:
The car is only being used for short journeys ...
This most likely explains the mayonnaise under the oil filler cap. If a head gasket failure caused mixing of oil and coolant you would see it in the sump as well but not with your engine.
Quote:
I suppose I could check the water temperature as you suggest but I doubt that is the problem.
When it's permitted, start taking the car on long runs and yes, definitely monitor the actual coolant temperature. Avoid the temptation to dismiss anything without appropriate evidence.

Martin, renewing KV6 head gaskets is an enormous and expensive job involving, for example, timing belt renewal. Since these gaskets are multi-layer steel your engine would have to have suffered serious overheating to result in damage. Please consider this very carefully before proceeding with a strip-down. If you still decide to do it, here's the answer to your question:
Quote:
I read somewhere that you do not have to remove all 3 bolts of air con compressor ... which two should be removed please?
Just the two at the front because they pass through a casting which needs to be removed.

Simon
Old 23rd April 2020, 11:10   #39
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

I am sorry to hear that you still have this problem, but appreciate you coming back to update, one of my chief failings.

Have you drained and inspected the oil? If it is okay it can be put back.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2020, 15:28   #40
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
I have noticed that the engine oil is rather black
That's interesting. Do you mean it looks unusual or that it's overdue for a change?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote