Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th January 2020, 16:51   #31
milford man
Gets stuck in

Jaguar XE Prestige

Yes it was for all four. I didn't want to risk it with new pistons.

Regards John.
milford man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2020, 22:26   #32
Abott10

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milford man View Post
Yes it was for all four. I didn't want to risk it with new pistons.

Regards John.
Hi John,

The new bits have arrived.

I think Redmans is the best option for me. I was tempted to use my Rothenberger Blow Torch and do the job myself. I have basic kit to do it but, that well known Law of ZOD is always lurking for us. I plan to send this lot to them when I get a reply to my Contact Seller Message already sent.

I was able to pack up all the kit carefully and securely and send off to Redman's in Fleetwood.

I carefully applied some white paint marks to avoid a mix-up with the machined Big-End and their Cap Interfaces. I was careful to note the orientation of the Con-Rods on removal. There is a B moulded in each Con-Rod Big End and their matching caps. So 8 Bs in all. I made a mental note that B faced the rear of the car in the transverse K4. B for BACK easy to remember.

There again maybe the Con-Rod orientation is not important but the Arrows on the Piston Tops are there for a reason. If anyone with a better understanding of these things can throw some enlightenment my way it would be appreciated.

Meantime this is where I applied the white paint. Easy to remove when the job comes back :~

Looking forward to refitting these when I get them back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.8T New Pistons Kit (2).JPG (132.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 1.8T New Pistons Kit (4).JPG (81.1 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 1.8T New Pistons Kit (3).JPG (118.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 1.8T New Pistons Kit (1).JPG (132.1 KB, 59 views)
Abott10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2020, 23:45   #33
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Each con rod is numbered 1-4 with numbers facing the front, with piston arrow facing timing end.

What make of piston are they? Can’t stand unbranded stuff, a proud manufacturer would put their name on it wouldn’t they?

Have you compared the top ring landing depths to the original with 160 stamped on them?

Last edited by Lovel; 13th January 2020 at 23:48..
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2020, 07:26   #34
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

The MG6 engine uses branded products such as liner and pistons. Usually under the Federal Mogul brand family. Eg, AE for pistons and liners a well known name for years, although they are all manufactured in China today they are still engineered to exacting standards.

Have you compared the piston ring land areas of the old to new, be interesting to establish a measurement?
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2020, 09:24   #35
milford man
Gets stuck in

Jaguar XE Prestige

Hi. When Redmans did my pistons I asked the guy if it mattered which way round the piston was fitted to the conrod. He confirmed that they only go on one way or only work correctly one way.

Regards John
milford man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2020, 11:54   #36
Abott10

Quote:
Originally Posted by milford man View Post
Hi. When Redmans did my pistons I asked the guy if it mattered which way round the piston was fitted to the conrod. He confirmed that they only go on one way or only work correctly one way.

Regards John
That's why I was careful to ensure I noted the correct orientation of the Con-Rd Piston Interface AND their relationship to the CRANKshaft. There is an arrow on the top of the new ones much the same as the old. Those arrows point towards the Timing/Front end of the Engine when fitted. Not all K-Series engines are transversely located.

From memory some pistons I've worked on have different sized Cut Outs for the Inlet and Exhaust Valve clearances. Again from memory, they appear the same with these K-Series Pistons I'm currently working on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
The MG6 engine uses branded products such as liner and pistons. Usually under the Federal Mogul brand family. Eg, AE for pistons and liners a well known name for years, although they are all manufactured in China today they are still engineered to exacting standards.

Have you compared the piston ring land areas of the old to new, be interesting to establish a measurement?
I cannot do that now as the new Pistons are on their way to Lancashire. Here is a picture of one of the new ones. As previously posted, I could not see any differences between old and new.... visually.

.... and it is STILL raining and cooler than last week. I'm off to pray towards the Weather Gods..
Old 19th January 2020, 08:50   #37
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Interesting read, catching up with this project. I admit, I’d have gone with the replacement engine solution if it was inexpensive and the 75 condition (less engine) was worth it.

Don’t fancy getting your hands dirty? Dislike working outside on cars in the winter? I had to double check who wrote that as this project seems to not fit with that at all!
Old 20th January 2020, 16:39   #38
Abott10

Thumbs up Piston and Rod Assemblies arrived this after noon.

The Piston and Connecting-Rod Assemblies arrived from Redman's this afternoon. I can now make plans regarding reassembly. Looks OK. There are a few minor marks on the Pistons Skirts where they have been gripped and held during the reassembly operation. I will use some fine grade wet and dry to clean those few marks up.

I sent the new Piston Rings but they returned their box unopened. Redman's service included removal of the old Pistons which I see as good value overall. However, that had already been done.

Obvious where the Oil Ring goes and the other two slots show different widths so should be easy to see which goes where.

I did a search on the web using the number on the Cylinder Liners. That pulled up some search results but nothing conclusive to indicate the Brand/s involved. However, trawling through a vast number of K-Series Liner images on the web, I spotted one liner in identical wrapping material and method to those Liners as part of the kit I bought. These had a Box with Brand name in the image. When assembling the Kit for shipping, the Brand Boxes were possibly discarded by the looks of things...
Old 20th January 2020, 18:44   #39
pletevl
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 cdti(rhd), MG ZR(lhd), MG TF(lhd), MG TF(rhd), mini mpi (lhd), Renault megane III (awful)

It says in the rover handbook to use hylomar. I did on a TF engine I rebuilt.

Pete.
pletevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2020, 18:19   #40
Abott10

Default Some good progress at last today.

Thoroughly cleaned up the Cylinder Liner Locations ~ I used a circular wire brush in my trusty Black and Decker 240v drill to clean away the corrosion which held the old Cylinder Liners so firmly. I was very careful to collect any harmful stuff and cleaned up thoroughly after each Liner location was treated. This was to pay off well when I slid the four new Liners with shims fitted and sealant into place a little while later.

I bought some other suitable sealant which had a temperature range of -50~+200c .. These images show the work and end result. Delighted they were no problem to fit and all four now pass my liner height "Finger Nail Test".

Next, to fit the New Pistons now on the old Con-Rods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0065.jpg (42.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0064.JPG (128.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0068.JPG (115.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0071.jpg (43.6 KB, 53 views)