Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th December 2019, 16:04   #201
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
I think it’s best I bow out of this thread now, you say voltage is not energy, I didn’t say it was! What I was referring too is that the high voltage and low voltage systems within the car are completely separate and do different jobs nothing more nothing less. Because my post wasn’t written as a technical document doesn’t mean I need a ‘course’ With regards to taking a course in basic electrical theory as you suggest I will pass, the qualifications I have are still classed as current (pun intended)

I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your post, unfortunately that's what can happen if you try and simplify your statements so much. You concentrated on the voltage value rather than the issue of energy or power.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2019, 21:53   #202
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
I discovered recently that the use of cobalt is key to reducing the levels of sulphur in fossil fuel cars. This means that in reality, ICE engines are responsible for far greater levels of cobalt mining than EVs, as the cobalt in an EV battery is not consumed and can be recovered when the battery reaches its end of life.
And according to how I read it, the cobalt in car engine catalyst ‘s is recovered from the catalyst at the end of the catalyst life. So they cancel each other out. Or do they? There is more cobalt in EV batteries, so the possibility of more loss. Oh well.
Old 19th December 2019, 22:00   #203
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

I had no such misinterpretation of swork's post. I understood him to be saying there are 2 separate systems, a high voltage one to provide the motive power, and a lower voltage one for providing power for the ancilliaries. Trying to get efficient motive power out of a 12v system would be something of a non-starter, hence the separation of the 2 systems.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2020, 15:00   #204
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Encouraging Millions of brand spanking new Ev’s are not the answer as you are just creating more pollution and using up resources building something new and calling it emissions free.

If the powers that be were serious at reducing pollution and preserving finite resources surely decent financial incentives for converting conventional ICE driven motors would make more sense?
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2020, 15:45   #205
bl52krz
This is my second home

Why should they offer money for your old car? They will just legislate them to extinction. Tougher and tougher restrictions will see to that.All for what? The real answer is to make more money. Cynicism? You bet your bottom dollar it is. Strategic? Possibly. All for the good of the planet? Definitely not. It’s called Hysteria in its purest form.And a lot of people have fell for it hook, line and sinker. Oh well,it takes all types.
Old 4th January 2020, 18:26   #206
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Why should they offer money for your old car? They will just legislate them to extinction. Tougher and tougher restrictions will see to that.All for what? The real answer is to make more money. Cynicism? You bet your bottom dollar it is. Strategic? Possibly. All for the good of the planet? Definitely not. It’s called Hysteria in its purest form.And a lot of people have fell for it hook, line and sinker. Oh well,it takes all types.

You're right they will make restrictions tougher & tougher! Greater Manchester are "Doing a Bristol" now with their latest zero carbon target announcement a full 12 years ahead of schedule. https://airqualitynews.com/2019/12/1...carbon-target/

Here's a list of all the UK local authorities that have called a climate emergency last year which will entail some form of CAV,ULEV, ICE vehicle restriction, workplace parking levy etc. https://www.climateemergency.uk/blog/list-of-councils/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2020, 19:35   #207
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Greater Manchester city council were careful with their wording when they did their feasibility study last Summer and said they want to reduce 'single occupancy private vehicles' by 90% they said the private car has too big a slice of the infrastructure pie and if you wanted to come into Manchester it would either have to be Train,Tram,Bus, bicycle or on foot.

There's another study going on at present to overhaul & organize all the different public transport connections into and around greater Manchester, That must be why they're announced they're putting a £10 charge on the senior citizen concessionary travel pass.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2020, 19:57   #208
bl52krz
This is my second home

To be honest, the only way to stop all this ‘climate change hysteria, is to boycott the places that decide that they are going to impose these measures. Anyone with any sense can see that it is nothing to do with ‘climate change’. It’s only money they are interested in, and you can tell that statement is true by virtue of one thing:- they could literally ban any vehicle they want from town centres, not give them any chance of paying(£8) in Birmingham’s case, to drive along one of the main roads that lead off the M6- Express way. I for one have promised myself I will never go into any of the Towns that take part in this iniquitous money raising exercise. Perhaps if the majority of people took it upon themselves to not enter any places that this is prescribed for, they might just notice when revenues from shops becomes a seriously dangerous crisis, that it might stop businesses from inhabiting the Towns and Cities, will they do anything?
Old 4th January 2020, 20:59   #209
berkshirelad
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideValve View Post
Even if you completely ignore climate change the days of the internal combustion engine are numbered.
1. there is a finite quantity of fossil fuel (the clue is in the name)
2. massive expansion of fossil fuel use by China & India will accelerate its end

We are already at the stage where countries are routinely invaded or destabilised for their oil.

Even if you dont believe that climate change is linked to the amount of fuel we burn the petrol engine is going the way of the horse as a means of transport.
Sorry, just not true. Coal may be limited but oil is still being created daily!
berkshirelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2020, 21:11   #210
berkshirelad
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur SE

The positioning of bus stops opposite traffic islands is not - except in paranoia - to cause congestion. The positioning is to improve the safety for people alighting from the bus who then attempt to cross the road It stops them being hit by overtaking vehicles.

In the USA, school buses have flashing lights when stopping for children and it is illegal to pass them in either direction, for exactly the same reason.
berkshirelad is offline   Reply With Quote