Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th December 2018, 09:52   #51
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

I admire your determination given the biting wind yesterday.

With all the effort you’ve put in. I hope the coolant system peripherals are in good shape? Mainly the top coolant hose and the t-piece swapped to the Chinese cast alloy version.

Jubilee clips, plastic pipe components, and easily cut turbo model hoses are not a good mix.

Not wanting to alarm you but in your photos the pistons seem awfully close to the top of the liner for a turbo model. Perhaps it’s the angle of the photo that gives that impression. Hopefully the correct rods were returned to you?

Turbo engine side view showing piston tops.

Last edited by Lovel; 16th December 2018 at 10:08..
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2018, 12:58   #52
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
I admire your determination given the biting wind yesterday.

With all the effort you’ve put in. I hope the coolant system peripherals are in good shape? Mainly the top coolant hose and the t-piece swapped to the Chinese cast alloy version.

Jubilee clips, plastic pipe components, and easily cut turbo model hoses are not a good mix.

Not wanting to alarm you but in your photos the pistons seem awfully close to the top of the liner for a turbo model. Perhaps it’s the angle of the photo that gives that impression. Hopefully the correct rods were returned to you?

Turbo engine side view showing piston tops.

I do have an all New Coolant Hose set (standard t-piece tho), New Coolant Rail, New Stat Housing T-Piece (1 piece part) Viton O-Rings etc..

r.e Piston Height - ? I'm not sure - I definitely received the correct Rods with New Pistons fitted tho - I'm Happy to continue and we'll see if it's any Good or not when it's time to fire her up

Is it a Must to replace the Cylinder Head locating Dowels ?

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2018, 13:06   #53
Lovel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheraton View Post
I do have an all New Coolant Hose set (standard t-piece tho), New Coolant Rail, New Stat Housing T-Piece (1 piece part) Viton O-Rings etc..

r.e Piston Height - ? I'm not sure - I definitely received the correct Rods with New Pistons fitted tho - I'm Happy to continue and we'll see if it's any Good or not when it's time to fire her up

Is it a Must to replace the Cylinder Head locating Dowels ?

Paul.
New hose assembly sounds good. The plastic t-piece when new will be fine for many miles, until the top hose starts playing up and a new hose is fitted and then someone fits an over tightened jubilee clip squashing the t-piece boss leading to leaks. I have a have dozen or so plastic t-pieces which even with a proper 360deg clamping force, combined with heat has collapsed the boss the t-piece significantly. Such a shame MGR never fitted a strengthening pipe inside the plastic boss

It sounds ok then perhaps just me. However When any of the pistons were at TDC, Are you able to measure the distance between the piston top and top of liner, or take a photo at an angle? If NASP long conrods were fitted you would have a very powerful engine, but I don’t think the engine would last too long.

Don’t try to change the dowels, unless there is significant wear on the outside of them or they were cheapies fitted from before or you’ll do more damage than good and new dowels can be a bit flimsy to say the least.

Last edited by Lovel; 16th December 2018 at 13:21..
Old 16th December 2018, 15:22   #54
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
New hose assembly sounds good. The plastic t-piece when new will be fine for many miles, until the top hose starts playing up and a new hose is fitted and then someone fits an over tightened jubilee clip squashing the t-piece boss leading to leaks. I have a have dozen or so plastic t-pieces which even with a proper 360deg clamping force, combined with heat has collapsed the boss the t-piece significantly. Such a shame MGR never fitted a strengthening pipe inside the plastic boss

It sounds ok then perhaps just me. However When any of the pistons were at TDC, Are you able to measure the distance between the piston top and top of liner, or take a photo at an angle? If NASP long conrods were fitted you would have a very powerful engine, but I don’t think the engine would last too long.

Don’t try to change the dowels, unless there is significant wear on the outside of them or they were cheapies fitted from before or you’ll do more damage than good and new dowels can be a bit flimsy to say the least.

cheers Gary

I'm going to fit the Cylinder Head today - I'm 100% sure the ConRods are my Original parts - at least the ones I removed from the Block - I marked them enough with Sharpie before sending and they came back as sent

I fitted the Old Cylinder Head as a Clamp to rotate the Crankshaft - - I felt no issues/concerns while rotating the Crankshaft with the New pistons fitted and the Old Head on - at this stage I'm Happy to continue.

I've just fitted a New Water Pump, One Piece "Thermostat Housing" T-Piece (with added Viton O-Rings) and my New Coolant Rail

I'm going to fit New Camshaft Oil Seals and then Bang the New Cylinder Head on in a wee bit

Paul.
Old 16th December 2018, 17:08   #55
Lovel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheraton View Post
cheers Gary

I'm going to fit the Cylinder Head today - I'm 100% sure the ConRods are my Original parts - at least the ones I removed from the Block - I marked them enough with Sharpie before sending and they came back as sent

I fitted the Old Cylinder Head as a Clamp to rotate the Crankshaft - - I felt no issues/concerns while rotating the Crankshaft with the New pistons fitted and the Old Head on - at this stage I'm Happy to continue.

I've just fitted a New Water Pump, One Piece "Thermostat Housing" T-Piece (with added Viton O-Rings) and my New Coolant Rail

I'm going to fit New Camshaft Oil Seals and then Bang the New Cylinder Head on in a wee bit

Paul.
Ok all sounds good then, sorry but the photos didn’t seem to show a gap, but as I said earlier perhaps misleading from the angle taken.

Btw, You wouldn’t have any physical contact issues with the piston hitting the cylinder head if for some reason you had NASP conrods. The only issue would’ve be that compression ratio was too high for a turbo engine and longevity may be an issue
Old 16th December 2018, 19:14   #56
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Once the head is on and the engine completely assembled don't forget to rotate the engine by hand, carefully, to make sure there are no touching parts.---

Last edited by COLVERT; 16th December 2018 at 22:23..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2018, 20:13   #57
Lovel

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Once the head is on don't forget to rotate the engine by hand, carefully, to make sure there are no touching parts.---
Sorry but for clarification on above. Once the head is fitted DO NOT rotate the engine or the pistons will contact the valves if the camshafts are already fitted.

First Fit the belts, then rotate carefully at least two two revolutions, check timing marks and tensioner alignment groove.

Last edited by Lovel; 16th December 2018 at 20:16..
Old 16th December 2018, 23:43   #58
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Cool

Cylinder Head fitted and a couple of other bits - I still have a few more bits to do before I'll be ready to fire her up - I'm having Fun tho - even with a splitting Headache today/tonight I've enjoyed finally getting some parts fitted rather than just collecting/storing them.

I should be able to do a few wee bits after work through the week - but really I'm hoping to finish off next weekend

and Hope it's All Good

a couple of Pics tonight.

Paul.
Old 17th December 2018, 23:50   #59
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

I never bothered trying to get much done after work tonight - it's just a wee bit dark to be getting organised properly to get started.

I done a wee bit tho

I wrapped my Exhaust Manifold with Heat Wrap again - I'm not too Happy with the result - it actually seemed more difficult with the Manifold removed Vs when I done it with the Manifold fitted ???....lol.... maybe I just expected a better result this time ?

I may order some narrower 25mm Wrap to redo it - this Wrap I have is 50mm.

Paul.
Old 18th December 2018, 00:00   #60
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Looking good Paul

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote