Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th December 2018, 15:56   #1
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Default Changing projectors to reflectors

My V6 is fitted with quad Xenon projectors. They may look snazzy in daylight but it's a silly "improvement" as they give a poor main beam. As I have this occasional uncontrolled urge to drive at 31mph at night, I am wanting to go back to reflectors. Now presumably the cheapest solution is to buy a set of old Mk 1 reflectors and swap the inner lamps. I know I have to take the bumper off, but what then? Is it a simple operation?
Old 19th December 2018, 16:03   #2
steveo
I really should get out more.......

None

Default Bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
My V6 is fitted with quad Xenon projectors. They may look snazzy in daylight but it's a silly "improvement" as they give a poor main beam. As I have this occasional uncontrolled urge to drive at 31mph at night, I am wanting to go back to reflectors. Now presumably the cheapest solution is to buy a set of old Mk 1 reflectors and swap the inner lamps. I know I have to take the bumper off, but what then? Is it a simple operation?
Hi try changing the bulbs to a whiter / Bluer light depending on your preference
I would also check the adjustment at your local MOT station
Regards
Steve

Last edited by steveo; 19th December 2018 at 16:05..
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 16:11   #3
LotusLC
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi Auto / ZT-T Trophy Blue

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,238 Posts

Having had reflectors, projectors and xenon projectors I found the reflectors to be almost dangerous. Lighting was terrible, even with night breaker bulbs. As said get some decent bulbs fitted to what you have.

https://i.imgur.com/Cwa3376m.jpg
LotusLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 17:10   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The HID insert for the main beam may be a bullseye module that fits through the standard bulb hole with a ringnut behind it. If so, you could just remove the insert and fit a standard H9 65 watt bulb. However, some inserts require a larger hole and this would compromse the refitting of a standard bulb. In that case, you'll need to swap the complete reflector unit to enable you to revert back to a bulb. Either option is complicated. A complete lamp swap is easiest. You can't just replace the main beam side because the dip and main lamps are intergated into one unit.

EDIT: Swapping the complete units is reasonably straight forward and I'm pretty sure there are illustrated instructions around the forum. You'd also have to remove the extra ballasts and reinstate the main beam wiring.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 19th December 2018 at 17:19..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote