Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd October 2019, 17:46   #11
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Are there any points attached to the fine ?

On our return trip through France I lost count of the British registered Range Rovers and Audis that flew past us - so would expect them all to be picking up fines too !
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2019, 18:03   #12
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Les Rosbif. Tough.

Last edited by wraymond; 2nd October 2019 at 19:22..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2019, 19:22   #13
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

I got one of those French speeding tickets sent to me earlier this year. Luckily I’d done my paperwork and it was a colleague driving at the time, so I transferred it to them.
Old 2nd October 2019, 19:39   #14
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Was it sent registered post. Signed for? If you did not sign for it it has not been delivered has it?
Old 2nd October 2019, 20:39   #15
daveycooper
Avid contributor

75 Saloon

Count yourself lucky. A member of my family was motorcycling in Austria (where they are very anti-car). He was travelling below speed limit, but briefly overtook a slower moving vehicle and must have gone a few mph above limit.

Cops pulled him.

Had to pay an immediate on-the-spot fine which was someothing ridiculous (I think I’m right in saying something like £600 or a grand). That or jail. Credit card taken at the side of the road!

Be warned!
daveycooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2019, 21:24   #16
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

FWIW Norway do not seem to pursue speeding tickets.
I had a hire car, me main driver plus a named driver. I was layed up in hospital and the named driver got flashed twice.
Apart from the costs from the hire company for telling the police who were the listed drivers, I never heard any more but as a precaution when I returned to Norway a year or two later, my wife took documentation to show I could not have been driving as I was in hospital.

I'm not sure if ignoring the ticket is wise, I'd look into it

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2019, 22:13   #17
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

As we were travelling together I wonder how many more of us can expect tickets ?
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2019, 22:46   #18
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

This year I have driven extensively through the "spine" of France to Italy (twice, on to Turin and Florence). About 5,000 miles in total.

I was apprehensive about their speed enforcement, but have returned with a still clean licence.

My observations :

1. Found nothing "sneaky" about their use of speed cameras. On every occasion, French cameras zones were marked in advance with signs ("Velocite Controlee" or similar (my) mangled French). Same goes for Italy - similar signs and wording ("Velocita Controllata Elettronico" - again apologies to our Italian cousins).

2. The cameras themselves are noticeably painted drab grey colours (wonder why ) and look like ordinary lighting boxes (Italy and France) or long tubes (French autoroute). They do often have red diagonal striped tape (could be reflective as well).

3. Italian autostrada around big cities have overhead gantries with cameras and signage, much like the M25.

4. Once you see one camera, I thought for a while each emergency telephone was an enforcement camera as they look similar.

5. Familiarised myself with the equivalent MPH and km/h speeds, so I cold quickly gauge my speed in km/h. We look at the MPH numbers most of the time, so it is much easier to quickly note the speed.

6. Kept to the speeds listed and stayed just under to be sure. I find 130 km/h to be my sweet spot anyway (where it is allowed, of course ).

Maybe number 2 is why it was hard to register the speed cameras? We are used to big, yellow painted cameras generally (although the newer ones here are going the grey camo route at times).

Last edited by first-things-first; 2nd October 2019 at 22:49..
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2019, 10:03   #19
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
As we were travelling together I wonder how many more of us can expect tickets ?
If I remember rightly I think Rob set off early in the morning before the rest of us so we might be ok. I haven't had anything through so far.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2019, 10:37   #20
timon
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbrooks View Post
I have been issued a speeding fine of £45 Euro from the French for 3.7 mph over the speed limit. I can't believe this! Everyone was overtaking me!
clocked at 96 kmh in a 90 kmh. I've only ever had one speeding fine before this and that was in Sheffield 20 years ago 37 mph in a 30 mph!
To say that I'm annoyed is an understatement - 3.7 mph over is ridiculous! I won't ever be travelling to France ever again!
: devil:

Had something similar in Lille 3 months ago. Drove on the motorway at night with a speed limit of 90 km/h until I saw a sign of 70. I slow down from 90 to somewhere above 70 on the engine and right next to the sign the radar takes me on photo. The person behind me got it as well. Apparently you have to brake like a fool over there.

With most of the older radars being destroyed by the yellow vests, France must be aiming at earning back some of the money they lost by replacing them all.
timon is offline   Reply With Quote