Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th November 2019, 10:21   #11
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
... I use the metal paint you can buy from Aldi, I have it on my tourer, had it on my MGZT, and also on my FL2 none have ever peeled through the heat. ....
What's it called Steve? Got a pic or link?
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2019, 10:32   #12
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
What's it called Steve? Got a pic or link?
I will get one in a jiffy, I am doing it in gold first coat then silver after, mind the gold colour doe's look nice couple of pics below of original exhaust & the new one I purchased from Germany.

PS photo's of first coat & the paint several coats will be added over the next few days, it is not going to be fitted for at least a couple of months.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12534.jpg (122.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12536.jpg (130.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13153.jpg (129.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13443.jpg (124.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13445.jpg (124.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg SDC13448.jpg (124.4 KB, 48 views)

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 30th November 2019 at 10:48..
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2019, 10:40   #13
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

I just bought a can from Halfrauds! VHT in Black. About a tenner a can. I rubbed the original paint off and cleaned down with IPA then shoot on at least 5 coats and leave to cure. Overnight if poss. Then carefully mount exhaust
to car and repaint any scratches acquired on the way.
The heat of the working engine will cure it more.

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2019, 12:00   #14
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I used to always drill a small hole at the lowest point of my exhaust boxes (cars and commercials). I used to pop a self tapping bolt in the hole at MOT time (with a blob of exhaust sealant) and remove again after. To watch water running out after a short run showed how useful it was.
Old 30th November 2019, 15:44   #15
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Added a couple more coats of gold paint today, only when the brandy ball was throwing out a little warmth

ad altiora tendo.

Old 30th November 2019, 16:44   #16
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
I am in the process of painting a rear exhaust in my shed at the moment first coat went on yesterday, second today once it warms up a bit, I use the metal paint you can buy from Aldi, I have it on my tourer, had it on my MGZT, and also on my FL2 none have ever peeled through the heat.

The one I am painting is for the tourer as its original back box with the double skin it starting to separate even though it like new under the first skin, also the strap rusted through so I had to make a strap up from galvanised slotted metal.
Hi Steve. I presume you mean the Decco style spray can? I have used it quite a bit. I have used the Black for putting a few coats on the spring protectors. I always have a few spare cans in the shed just in case.

Last edited by bl52krz; 30th November 2019 at 16:54.. Reason: Should have read down further posts re Decco style.
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2019, 21:47   #17
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Hi Steve. I presume you mean the Decco style spray can? I have used it quite a bit. I have used the Black for putting a few coats on the spring protectors. I always have a few spare cans in the shed just in case.
Hi David.
Yes good paint straight on to surface after cleaning it with carb cleaner & allowed to dry, I build up very thin layers, over a period of time, also it's very quick drying paint.

John yes we have covered up quite a few of our plants from the frost

ad altiora tendo.

Old 1st December 2019, 00:27   #18
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
I will get one in a jiffy, I am doing it in gold first coat then silver after, mind the gold colour doe's look nice couple of pics below of original exhaust & the new one I purchased from Germany.

PS photo's of first coat & the paint several coats will be added over the next few days, it is not going to be fitted for at least a couple of months.
Do those two paints take high temperatures? I can't see any info on the cans. Or here http://offers.kd2.org/en/gb/aldi/pcxQT/

Of course the problem with doing this now is it'll be virtually impossible to get the centre section & back box on the car without ripping the new paint to bits. I should have painted the bits back in August/September.

When I cut the old factory back box off I stood it on end and a stack of water drained out. I cut the centre section off on Friday, stood that on end and the same thing happened again.

Maybe it's time for a wee hole in the new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
I used to always drill a small hole at the lowest point of my exhaust boxes (cars and commercials). I used to pop a self tapping bolt in the hole at MOT time (with a blob of exhaust sealant) and remove again after. To watch water running out after a short run showed how useful it was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickernick View Post
I just bought a can from Halfrauds! VHT in Black. About a tenner a can. I rubbed the original paint off and cleaned down with IPA then shoot on at least 5 coats and leave to cure. Overnight if poss. Then carefully mount exhaust
to car and repaint any scratches acquired on the way.
The heat of the working engine will cure it more.
Ah, thanks Nick. Not a bad price for high temp paint - good reviews too (4.3 out of 5). https://www.halfords.com/motoring/pa...um-paint-300ml I'll get a can and see how fast I can get it to dry & harden in the kitchen.
Old 1st December 2019, 08:18   #19
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Do those two paints take high temperatures? I can't see any info on the cans. Or here http://offers.kd2.org/en/gb/aldi/pcxQT/

Hi Simon.
I have used this paint on both my MGZT, My FL2 and the tourer, and it's not peeled or burnt off, it's been on the FL2 since 2017 and is still like the day I sprayed it on. MGZT would be the same if I still had it I think, & the tourer I have now which pictures I have put up earlier had a very thin coat just to tidy it up due to the outer skin peeling & it's going to be changed with the exhaust I am painting now.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 6th December 2019, 09:04   #20
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
I am in the process of painting a rear exhaust in my shed at the moment first coat went on yesterday, second today once it warms up a bit, I use the metal paint you can buy from Aldi, ......
In the end I bought four cans of this.

£2.55 per can plus delivery = £10.20 + £3.80 = £15. So that works out at £3.75 per 400ml per can.

Paint goes on nice and smooth - this is after six coats. The can says allow 15-20 mins between coats but I played safe and allowed 30 mins.

2.57 cans (ish) did six coats on both the intermediate section and the back box. It only remains to be seen how good it is in action.

Btw, the colour really is what it says on the tin - Silver Matt. The colour of the plastic can lid is darker than the paint itself.

Below: I converted my trusty subframe dolly into an exhaust dolly, complete with built-in 'Exhaust Revolver Tool' to make painting easier (a lot easier). The dolly actually consists of two sub-dollies connected by a long plank of wood (multiple planks required for subframe duty!). The sub-dolly at the other end has two upright posts which are positioned just in front of the sharp turn in the pipe. The pipe straight is then plonked between the posts and the whole thing can be rotated with one hand while you spray with the other.

Once the paint has cured, the whole thing slides under the car with ease - then you just add blocks to lift the exhaust to the correct height, so that it lines up with the cut-off front section (which is still on the car). If I had three sub-dollies I could probably put an entire exhaust system on in one go, unassisted. The rubbers hangers will be the tricky bit.