Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th December 2019, 18:11   #1
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts
Default Fuel gauge help - none MGR

So I picked the Toyota Avensis up last Friday from its service, mot and front airbag recall. All seemed well, and I took it and brimmed the tank as I was running low on fuel. The gauge flew up to full as it should, but I have been using the car all week and it hasn't moved even 1mm from slightly over full reading. I think I am in trouble!

Anyone got any ideas? When I kill the ignition it drops, so its not stuck, and the range on the trip comp is dropping as it should, so there is a signal somewhere.

I have a horrid feeling it will mean a new pump module as everything always seems to be one piece these days, and that will be an large expense I can't sort due to being laid off from next Friday. Hoping there is something daft I have overlooked I can try....its 57 reg, but only got 43k on it, so not had a hard life.
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2019, 18:27   #2
Richard1973
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Do you normally brim it?
How far have you gone since filling up?

Some cars take a while from brimmed before the needle starts to move.

Ignore me if you have done a decent distance!
Richard1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2019, 19:22   #3
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

The float could be stuck, just because the needle drops when you switch the ignition off only means the gauge is not stuck.

Try driving on some very rough roads and once you think the tank is about half full do some heavy braking so the fuel in the tank moves about.

The next idea once you have done a couple of hundred miles fill it again and see if that loosens the float.

Other than that you are into filling the tank and resetting the trip meter every time or remove the float and free it off.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2019, 21:25   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
So I picked the Toyota Avensis up last Friday from its service, mot and front airbag recall. All seemed well, and I took it and brimmed the tank as I was running low on fuel. The gauge flew up to full as it should, but I have been using the car all week and it hasn't moved even 1mm from slightly over full reading. I think I am in trouble!

Anyone got any ideas? When I kill the ignition it drops, so its not stuck, and the range on the trip comp is dropping as it should, so there is a signal somewhere.

I have a horrid feeling it will mean a new pump module as everything always seems to be one piece these days, and that will be an large expense I can't sort due to being laid off from next Friday. Hoping there is something daft I have overlooked I can try....its 57 reg, but only got 43k on it, so not had a hard life.
You will know your car and how the needle should operate normally. Has it used enough fuel for it to move yet? I am assuming the airbag replacement had no effect on the electronics. I would suggest phone the dealer to tell them, but also tell them you will give a few more days to be sure, then return it. If it doesnt move, tell them that it was working correctly before they worked on the car. No suggestions from them that it could not be related to the recall. They will have had to do something in the area of the binnacle at least, along with electronic work, so they cannot suggest there is no relationship with their work.

All of my Toyotas (4, but all pre 1988 lol) when filled up would take forever to move, one I recall would be around 120 miles from slightly above the full line until a needle's width below. It was capable of reasonable mpg though. Back then you could fill it until it came up to the neck lol. The needle would move quite quickly after, down to halfway with another 150 miles or so, dropping to the light at about 100-120 or so.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2019, 06:59   #5
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

I have to be honest it doesnt get filled very often to full, but its never taken this long to move when I have. I guess I should take different garage pumps into account and give it awhile longer. I'll also try the suggesyions in case the float is stuck. If it isnt that am I looking at pump replacement?
Old 6th December 2019, 07:42   #6
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

The float is often attached to pump but can usually be freed off. I suspect it has snagged on it somehow.

Once removed I suspect it will be obvious what is wrong. Once it is your hand you can move the float and see if the gauge moves but remember there is often a degree of damping built in so it can take up to 30 seconds for the gauge to react.

If you do remove it get a new seal because the old one will leak once disturbed.
Old 6th December 2019, 13:43   #7
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

I dont even know where it is! I assume under the rear seat but I don't know how to release that either! I'kl see if runni g the fuel down some more does anything first but I am not hopeful. It still shows over full and I didnt keep letting it click so it can't be after going to work a week.
Old 6th December 2019, 16:52   #8
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

Yes usually under the seat. The last Toyota I had to replace a pump on the unit was bolted in with a dozen or so bolts so was quite easy to do.

Don't buy a genuine new unit as often these are available new by motor factors for a lot less than a genuine Toyota unit.

If you have to remove pipes a hair drier to soften the pipes works well. If you have to join pipes use proper fuel pipe clips not jubilee clips.
Old 6th December 2019, 23:06   #9
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
The float could be stuck, just because the needle drops when you switch the ignition off only means the gauge is not stuck.

Try driving on some very rough roads and once you think the tank is about half full do some heavy braking so the fuel in the tank moves about.
I can recommend the above as I have known it to work many times
If you can find an empty car park or similar try a few tight turns , alternately one way then the other .
Old 7th December 2019, 07:21   #10
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

I am going to the coast soon. Lots of hilly, bendy toads to run it down and slosh it about! Fingers crossed!