Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th June 2015, 18:02   #1
eddiemc05
Gets stuck in

Mg zt ctdi

Default brake pad warning light.

I was under the impression that if my brake pads were worn so that the sensor had tripped, then the brake warning light would be on constantly as soon as the wire had broken etc... however my light comes on after ive been rolling for a short distance.. kinda like how the car locks itself when u get up to a speed..
The reason why im asking is because recently checking the brake pads i found they were pretty new and all sensors where in place and not already tripped... i even unplugged both front and rear sensors and checked for corrosion at plugs.. all was fine...
Can this light come on for any other reason... oh and my brake fluid res was also fine...
thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 18:49   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemc05 View Post
Can this light come on for any other reason...
If the sensor head isn't worn through, then there's an intermittant break in the circuit. The warning is popped on if the circuit is broken. It goes out when the circuit is completed again. Usually by sensor head wear, but not always. The front brake lead occasionally rubs on the driveshaft.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2015, 20:19   #3
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
If the sensor head isn't worn through, then there's an intermittant break in the circuit. The warning is popped on if the circuit is broken. It goes out when the circuit is completed again. Usually by sensor head wear, but not always. The front brake lead occasionally rubs on the driveshaft.

TC
Just fixed a similar thing for a member tonight. Check the wiring from the sensor end very carefully for any break in the coating. The one tonight had a bit worn off exposing the metal in the two wires inside. Circuit complete light on.

Fixed by removing sensor, cutting cable at break, exposing small length of each wire. Tin with solder, then solder together. ( not forgetting to put on heat shrink first. ) cover the two joins with a bit of heat shrink each. Heat. Then pull on bigger bit of heat shrink to cover it all to keep out moisture. Light out!
Would be better to replace at some point but that fix should last a while if not forever.

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2015, 22:49   #4
eddiemc05
Gets stuck in

Mg zt ctdi

Thanks guys.. so the behaviour of the light is indicative of the wire being broken of stripped bare?
I have a new rear sensor lying about somewhere..
Old 25th June 2015, 06:40   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

If you replace one of them cut the plug off the old one and solder the wire ends together and you can use it to plug in and quickly help to narrow down any future faults.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2015, 09:04   #6
fridge

rover 75saloon

I had same problem just popped a new sensor on and then tucked into top of engine space and works fine .
fridge is offline   Reply With Quote