Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th July 2020, 11:23   #1
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

Default Amazon scam.

Hi all.

I received a bank statement this morning as I do every month, however I found that Amazon have debited me £7.99, now it's not a lot I know, but I have not bought anything of them, I was getting automated phone calls a couple of weeks ago to say my Amazon account has been hacked, but I have never bought from them.

The money was debited on the 23rd of June and it says Amazon Prime*1887H CD 1220 and under money out it says 7.99.

It's not much I know, but any advice other than informing the bank.
Old 11th July 2020, 12:47   #2
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

One small step only Graham - log into your Amazon account and change the password.

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2020, 12:52   #3
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham1961 View Post
Hi all.

I received a bank statement this morning as I do every month, however I found that Amazon have debited me £7.99, now it's not a lot I know, but I have not bought anything of them, I was getting automated phone calls a couple of weeks ago to say my Amazon account has been hacked, but I have never bought from them.

The money was debited on the 23rd of June and it says Amazon Prime*1887H CD 1220 and under money out it says 7.99.

Something similar happened to my sister, but she does shop with Amazon. she accepted the one month free trial offer of Amazon Prime but if you don't inform them that you don't want it after a month they will bill you for it £7.99/month.

They put the onus on you to cancel it and she forgot.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2020, 12:56   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham1961 View Post
Hi all.

Contact amazon, but look at your amazon account.

Have you bought anything in the past 8 weeks from amazon (or 1 month before the first payment, if this one is not the first) ? The way it is set up is quite devious.

'Do you want fast and free delivery tick this box with free trial of amazon prime'. which is much more prominent to the 'do you want free delivery without amazon prime' tick this box.

So you may have accidentally signed up to it. Good news is that it can be cancelled at anytime though with no.further charge or consequence.

When prime first started, I didn't notice at the bottom of the page, you HAD to opt out of signing up. You were automatically signed up to it, which I did. Cancelled as soon as I saw the invoice for payment of the item I had bought. But there was an outcry over this, and it was stopped, but it is still quite a devious set up now. (Add something to your basket and go to the payment stage, cancel at the last minute, but look at the various options and you will see what I mean)

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2020, 19:41   #5
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Contact amazon, but look at your amazon account.

Have you bought anything in the past 8 weeks from amazon (or 1 month before the first payment, if this one is not the first) ? The way it is set up is quite devious.

'Do you want fast and free delivery tick this box with free trial of amazon prime'. which is much more prominent to the 'do you want free delivery without amazon prime' tick this box.

So you may have accidentally signed up to it. Good news is that it can be cancelled at anytime though with no.further charge or consequence.

When prime first started, I didn't notice at the bottom of the page, you HAD to opt out of signing up. You were automatically signed up to it, which I did. Cancelled as soon as I saw the invoice for payment of the item I had bought. But there was an outcry over this, and it was stopped, but it is still quite a devious set up now. (Add something to your basket and go to the payment stage, cancel at the last minute, but look at the various options and you will see what I mean)

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk
I haven't bought anything from them, however I have withdrawn my bank card from them and changed my password.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.
Old 11th July 2020, 21:10   #6
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Assuming that you didn't respond to the many Amazon scam phone calls that have been doing the rounds for many many months now, i would still contact your bank & try to get the money back.
It's far better back in your bank account than anyone else's.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2020, 22:01   #7
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

I keep getting phone calls about having my Amazon account terminated unless I take certain action.

Only one problem, I don’t have an Amazon account !
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2020, 08:48   #8
Robti
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 190+,Rover 800 vitesse coupe

one of my card issuers refuses point blank to let me use it with Amazon for security issues