Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 1st December 2019, 12:20   #1
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Exhaust heatshield problem

Having cut my old exhaust off prior to fitting a new one, I thought I'd whip the heatshields off and sort out the odd blip of surface rust underneath the edges, mostly around the bolt holes.

I discovered the shield itself has been attacked by moths, or at least that's what it looks like. There seems to have been some sort of chemical reaction where the steel bolts go through the aluminium sheet. I don't want to put it back on like this as it can't be taken off again without dismantling the exhaust. Three of the four RH bolt holes are like this to some degree - oddly enough the LH holes aren't.

It if was flat I'd bolt two strips of aluminium sheet along the RH side to act as clamps - that would solve the problem. It's not flat though.

Last edited by Blink; 1st December 2019 at 12:23..
Old 1st December 2019, 12:51   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I made aluminium washers from an old ECM casing, to avoid accelerated electrolytic corrosion however pan menders are just as good

It's not the worst I've seen

Brian

P.S. your exhaust assembly paste will allow for subsequent dismantling of the exhaust if required
Old 1st December 2019, 15:09   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

instead of two strips I used one and bent it over. Drilled for the bolt hole then offered it up so the bolt hole lined up, drilled through in two places and riveted the two "strips" together. Then bolted to the car

macafee2
Old 1st December 2019, 15:34   #4
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I made aluminium washers from an old ECM casing, to avoid accelerated electrolytic corrosion however pan menders are just as good

It's not the worst I've seen

Brian

P.S. your exhaust assembly paste will allow for subsequent dismantling of the exhaust if required
These might help provided the edge is rounded off so that it doesn't cut into the heatshield. I think that's half the problem - the washers on the original bolts have a sharp edge and it cuts in as the rest of the heatshield vibrates up & down. You can see it in the post 1 pic.

PS. Good news re the paste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
instead of two strips I used one and bent it over. Drilled for the bolt hole then offered it up so the bolt hole lined up, drilled through in two places and riveted the two "strips" together. Then bolted to the car

macafee2
I'm not sure I understand . Do you mean you sandwiched the edge of the shield between one long strip bent in two (doubled over), then bolted through the sandwich?

If so, how did you match the contour of the shield - it's not flat, there's a long hump between each pair of bolt holes, i.e.

• Front pair: distance between bolts centres = 33cm / hump length = 28cm
  • Rear pair: distance between bolts centres = 20cm / hump length = 14cm
Old 1st December 2019, 15:35   #5
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

PS. Ooh, Xmas smilies. Lovely :icon_r olleyes::icon_questio n::lipsrseale d:

Looks like some of them don't work.
Old 1st December 2019, 15:49   #6
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I just put two long metal jubilee style clip/ties around the whole pipe and cover to give extra support and eliminate the rattles. Worked a treat.
Old 2nd December 2019, 12:03   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Having cut my old exhaust off prior to fitting a new one, I thought I'd whip the heatshields off and sort out the odd blip of surface rust underneath the edges, mostly around the bolt holes.

I discovered the shield itself has been attacked by moths, or at least that's what it looks like. There seems to have been some sort of chemical reaction where the steel bolts go through the aluminium sheet. I don't want to put it back on like this as it can't be taken off again without dismantling the exhaust. Three of the four RH bolt holes are like this to some degree - oddly enough the LH holes aren't.

It if was flat I'd bolt two strips of aluminium sheet along the RH side to act as clamps - that would solve the problem. It's not flat though.
Make up some larger alloy washers and use those to stop corrosion in the future use under the shield and on the surface.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Old 2nd December 2019, 12:09   #8
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

worth while plopping some goo / sealant between the shield and the Chassis and the washer and the Shield to help/ slow the dissimilar metal corrosion.
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Old 2nd December 2019, 13:58   #9
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Make up some larger alloy washers and use those to stop corrosion in the future use under the shield and on the surface.
Good idea Steve - especially the moulded washers. I see you've used flat sheet for some washers and some bits cut from another heatshield for others. I don't have either of those so I'll have to buy something. What thickness flat sheet did you use?

I'm still toying with the idea of using flat sheet strips running between each pair of bolts - a bit like the strap on the fuel tank. If I can get the 'humps' exactly the right height it'll clamp the whole contact surface between the bolts. Each strip would be 40mm wide and (say??) 2mm thick.

Here's one supplier (see Flat Bar or Sheet options) - https://www.metalswarehouse.co.uk/custom-cut-metal/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-se1mIOX5gIVCLTtCh0bdwDXEAAYASAAEgJMgPD_BwE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post
worth while plopping some goo / sealant between the shield and the Chassis and the washer and the Shield to help/ slow the dissimilar metal corrosion.
Good idea again, although I'll be painting the area underneath the heatshield anyway and I'll use stainless steel bolts.
Old 2nd December 2019, 14:05   #10
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Good idea Steve - especially the moulded washers. I see you've used flat sheet for some washers and some bits cut from another heatshield for others. I don't have either of those so I'll have to buy something. What thickness flat sheet did you use?

I'm still toying with the idea of using flat sheet strips running between each pair of bolts - a bit like the strap on the fuel tank. If I can get the 'humps' exactly the right height it'll clamp the whole contact surface between the bolts. Each strip would be 40mm wide and (say??) 2mm thick.

Here's one supplier (see Flat Bar or Sheet options) - https://www.metalswarehouse.co.uk/custom-cut-metal/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-se1mIOX5gIVCLTtCh0bdwDXEAAYASAAEgJMgPD_BwE

Good idea again, although I'll be painting the area underneath the heatshield anyway and I'll use stainless steel bolts.
I use a blanking grommet with a hole pushed through. It helps to absorb vibration and reduce tearing

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
Closed Thread