Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th November 2019, 16:36   #1
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Worn out flywheel?

Long story short, my car developed about half a year ago a ticking/tapping noise which got gradually worse, thought it was from one of the timing parts of the engine, replaced all 3 belts, all the pulleys, tensioners for both main and aux belt, and still nothing's changed, thought it would be the tappets, so I bought a mechanics stethoscope to closely listen to the engine and found out that it's something completely different, the sound was coming from the transmission. And since I've replaced the clutch kit about 10-15k miles ago the only logical explanation would be that now it was the flywheel that gave up, because that wasn't changed, I am thinking this because, as far as I know, when flywheels are slightly cracked or worn, they start making rattling or tapping noises which gradually increase. In my case, yesterday I found where the tapping is coming from, and guess what, today the clutch started slipping while IN GEAR and I started smelling that typical clutch smell. I'm writing this in uppercase letter because it should be noted that in only slips when the car is already in gear, but it shifts perfectly fine which leads me to think that the disk and other clutch parts are not worn.

My question is, is it possible that the almost new clutch disk has got premature wear because of the faulty flywheel making it needing to be replaced again? It would really suck opening the transmission and finding out that I have to replace that too even though new disk and pressure plate + master and slave cylinder were fitted 10-15k miles ago...
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 17:59   #2
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

The dual mass clutch is an invention of the devil, and can give all sorts of problems.
They are far less reliable than the old fashioned clutches.
I have had dual clutch clutches fail after 2000km.
I will never buy a car with a DMF.
Old 15th November 2019, 18:57   #3
3disco
3disco

ROVER 75 CONN TOURER CDTI and ZTT V8 SE LPG

I thought the petrol engine cars had solid flywheels?
3disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 19:31   #4
Brunty
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

My 1.8L petrol has a dual mass flywheel! Original clutch plate was solid, no longer available, so now has clutch plate with springs. Very noticeable difference when changing gear.
Brunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 19:41   #5
3disco
3disco

ROVER 75 CONN TOURER CDTI and ZTT V8 SE LPG

You live and learn!
3disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 21:46   #6
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I also thought it was a single mass flywheel until I asked my mechanic that fitted the clutch kit 10-15k miles ago and he told me it's certainly a dual mass one, should've replaced that too... But still my question stands still, do you think that the disk worn out too in such a short time if the flywheel has been developing the ticking for the last half year and if today only it started slipping? I really cannot see how such a fresh clutch disk could possibly wear out so fast... But still, if I'd know I wouldn't ask.
Old 15th November 2019, 22:20   #7
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

From what I have read on here , It is very rare for the DMF needing to be replaced many have been OK for well over 250-300K miles.My car is approaching 200K on the original DMF without any problem. So I would be looking elsewhere for the problem with your clutch.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 22:23   #8
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yep they can fail but mine has covered over 400k miles and still on the original DMF.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2019, 09:34   #9
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Mine covered over 150k now... But now I'm asking, how could other clutch parts besides the DMF start tapping? I closely listened with the stethoscope and the tapping comes from right under the DMF. Or especially make the car vibrate, and by the way this is also a small update on the matter, I started the car this morning to see how it acts while idling and no matter if it's in gear or not, the whole car is vibrating/shaking, and I don't think other transmission parts couldcbe responsible for that. Or could they?

Last edited by Rsnail; 16th November 2019 at 09:41..
Old 16th November 2019, 12:00   #10
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

How are your engine mounts ?

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is online now   Reply With Quote